Go big or go home:

MTVR

We have our insulated Energy Star rated steel door and insulated Energy Star rated black sliding screened double-pane windows. Just waiting for the weather to break before putting in our lumber order...

1000arms

We have our insulated Energy Star rated steel door and insulated Energy Star rated black sliding screened double-pane windows. Just waiting for the weather to break before putting in our lumber order...
Great!

But, what about your machine-gun-hatch/sunroof? :cool:

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Just regarding your transmission, a MAN Kat 1 from 1979 has no low range, a six speed manual box behind a torque converter, exhaust brake and diff locks (no front tho). First is slower than walking pace, exhaust brake holds it there. They were used in part for tank resupply, a German friend said often the Kats would get to the resupply point but the tanks would not :) No-one suggests they are no good off road, watching them on 16's glide by "normal" stuck 4x4s in the sahara on u tube always makes me laugh. Tight tracks may of course be something else but that's size not capability. Aired down 16's would have a massive footprint.
I still can't get my head round how even once the split rims are dismantled how will the tyre bead get over the run flat ring?
You could have a sun deck over the cab roof creating a sunshade forward over the windscreen a little?
If you wanted some self build inspiration this man's downloadable in English book is well worth it according to many others here. He fit out a container, used it for a bit, went back to address some cold bridges. still going strong

Container with slides maybe?

Zetros slide.JPG

Last edited:

1000arms

I would not build a wood camper on that truck. I think you are going to rattle it apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might find this thread interesting:

More on Shachagra:

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/ever-wondered-171000-diy-motorhome-looks-like-speechless/

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
Reading this thread is why I deleted my ‘build’ thread. Well I’m also not talented enough to have a build thread. Basically I decided I was gonna go my own way so why open it up for comment...I don’t live by committee and I do stupid things all the time. Can’t wait to see what you do with your truck, remain open to opportunities and new inspiration along the way

bgflyguy

If you are worried do a stitch and glue with glass like some of the boat guys. Or just wood like some of the ship guys. It will either rattle apart or it won't, no matter what you build it with. I can guarantee anything I build out of wood will last a million times longer than what I build out of something like aluminum, but then again, I can't weld.

A lot of small boats are going for foam core instead of wood. You could even use kevlar for a lighter "bulletproof " camper.

Heck, just let the thing fall apart and rebuild. Wood is cheap, and most of these things just sit in the garage right?

MTVR

Construction has begun, now that the good weather is finally here.

After making our first few bonds with the Loctite PL Premium Fast Grab urethane construction adhesive and screws, we are convinced that this thing is going to be monstrously strong. The screws are just to hold the individual parts in place and provide clamping force while the adhesive cures. The screws themselves are completely redundant- if we were to take the time to remove them after the adhesive was cured, the structure would be just as strong. If you were to apply enough force to break something, the wood would break outside of the joint, long before the adhesive bond itself failed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles