Gnarvan AWD Express build.

Colby Jack

Traveler
Did you have any other issues when installing your body lift? Astro vans require parking brake cable relocation and bumpers get mounted up further. I see you did a sleeve extension on your steering shaft. Also-- Long term review of your webasto heater? Would you do it again? Is it worth buying to keep one fuel? Love your build!

TeleSteve

Adventurer
The body lift was pretty straight forward, only mods were the steering shaft, bumpers, and fan shroud spacer.
The gas webasto works great, but I have had to take it apart and clean the carbon build up out twice now even after making altitude adjustments. I just cleaned it out the second time yesterday and leaned out the fuel setting even more. Hopefully that does the trick, if not I need to go to a webasto service center and have them make some adjustments. The last time it went almost 2 months of daily use before acting up.

Colby Jack

Traveler
Sounds great! Living at sea level I don't imagine I would have the fuel/air issues you guys have had. Did you ever get the thermostat figured? Loving your interior build!

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Yes the thermostat was working. But the display temperature is measured at the thermostat and the setting temp is measured at the return air to the heater. In my van it pulls in cold air near the floor and thermostat is up near the ceiling. Get about a 10 degree differential. So I just set thermostat about 10 below desired temp. It is a little annoying but not a big deal.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
I am a little behind on updating my build thread and hope to get it updated soon. I have been busy skiing and traveling in the van.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Did you replace the gaskets when you cleaned the carbon out of your webssto?

The factory tech guys strongly recommend replacing them whenever you take it apart. They're expensive from the online suppliers.

If I'm going to be pulling it apart to clean carbon out every year it would be nice to get a 6 pack of gaskets to keep on hand.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Do you mind sharing where you got the gaskets? I've found them online for around $30 a set. Hoping to find a more affordable option.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Love this build, you really did a killer job! I'd like to ask you a few questions about to lift if you don't mind.
Ask away!

I apologize for not updating this thread. I have a ton of updates that I need to document. The van is getting lots of use. I have put ~15k miles on it and over 60 nights in it.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Do you mind sharing where you got the gaskets? I've found them online for around $30 a set. Hoping to find a more affordable option.
Sorry, I missed this question a while back. I ordered them from Sure Marine Service for $32. Let me know if you found a better option.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Ok so here is what has been done since my last real update.
I finished the trim panels around the back doors. Baltic birch shaped and joined to match the curves and then wrapped in vinyl.
95ffa89833f003c015ce3837c95bcf27.jpg

e2ee2b412e50c9eb1a4290c9afe77783.jpg

d2a7fe27daa3678ac508ff14f95607c6.jpg

6fcdede4f4b23a7a1bbe0024346b29cd.jpg

4769ee57f6c681d32b55b8f4e52db927.jpg

I picked up a set of interior trim panels for the barn doors. No windows so I made a panel out of Sintra board covered on one side with vinyl and reflectix on the other to fill in the window space. The sheet medal was first covered with the foil and foam insulation. I picked up a set of junkyard doors with windows, but I need to do some paint and body work before they go on. (Low priority). I also added a small LED light on the door that works for outside light when the door is open and provide light for the sink cabinet when I get to that. We tend to use this little light a lot when we don't want the bright overhead lights.
7b6c0a4367a24c2f34a95b47c3e1f796.jpg

8b4d05d1a5ac26aef36cd8513a125dc3.jpg

f4f3bee206cf7c292317711ebf8ef804.jpg

I made some panels to cover the upper half of the rear doors. Same construction as the side doors except I was out of grey vinyl so I used some grey carpet instead. This was a last minute addition before leaving for a trip and I was trying to get all the insulation and bare panels covered up. I will possibly change these to grey vinyl at some point. They are attached with Velcro strips.
51cb5ef8df9abe7f52e29489a11a8fb4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TeleSteve

Adventurer
I got the heat exchanger all plumbed up with silicone heater hose so the hot water is working. I used an ACDelco 15-5533 Heater bypass valve tapped into the heater hoses to control the coolant flow through the heat exchanger.
1047c4304a7e241647d2433ddd989476.jpg

This valve is controlled by a switch on the dash.
6b4410543281d7d79b4bd16c23f5d8fd.jpg

While I was at it I added the radio switch you see next to it. This is a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) rocker switch. It switches the radio between startng battery and house battery. In the down position the constant and key on power are both connected to the radio as normal, when it is flipped up they are both switched over to a circuit off the house battery. This allows the radio to be used while parked with out using the starting battery or needing a key in the ignition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles