GMT900 Overland build anyone?

socal4n4

Anyone in this forum that has done an overland build on the GMT900 platform specifically the Tahoe or the Suburban? after researching GX470 for a while and realizing its a capable vehicle but overpriced for what it is, this led me to look outside my search and encountered this platform, it checks several boxes just need the clearance on the front and back and underneath protection and it should be enough to tackle some trails

phsycle

Adventurer
Anyone in this forum that has done an overland build on the GMT900 platform specifically the Tahoe or the Suburban? after researching GX470 for a while and realizing its a capable vehicle but overpriced for what it is, this led me to look outside my search and encountered this platform, it checks several boxes just need the clearance on the front and back and underneath protection and it should be enough to tackle some trails

GX is a nice platform but too popular among the Instagram overblanding crowd. Burbs are stealthy and plenty capable. If you don’t need the smaller chassis of the GX, Burb would be a nice vehicle.

socal4n4

GX is a nice platform but too popular among the Instagram overblanding crowd. Burbs are stealthy and plenty capable. If you don’t need the smaller chassis of the GX, Burb would be a nice vehicle.
I think the only advantage of the smaller chassis is if you will rock crawl and even then, I think a Jeep would be a better choice if that was the route you wanted to go, but correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:

Grassland

I'm rough on my GM nomenclature, but pretty sure there are a few folks on here with 900 type burbs and Tahoe's on at least mild builds. All the Tahoe guys that come to mind have the previous chassis if I'm not mistaken.

@socal4n4 There are a few on here with the GMT900, myself included. Really depending on what you want to do with it, the GMT900 is awesome, but the GMT800 is also a great candidate and can also be had for a good price. If you are really looking to rough it up, take it on some pretty hardcore trails and it will see more dirt/two lane highway than say interstate driving, the GMT800 may be a better bet. These have more aftermarket support from what I have seen, especially in the way of armor (bumpers, etc.). Plus there are some pretty sweet builds on here on the GMT800 platform. Look for threads by @CrazyDrei and @02TahoeMD and @dirtdobberoffroad. These guys have some awesome builds. Also, if you want to find one in good condition, has gone through a full maintenance check, has mild suspension and tire upgrades, AND already has the inside built out from anything with just a drawer system in the back to already having a full sleeping platform build in the back - check out Suboverland.com. I almost went this route when buying mine suburban. HOWEVER...

I wanted to be different. I never saw many GMT900 builds (at least not suburban, on instagram you can find a handful of Tahoe builds that guys have built for desert offroading with long arm kits and stuff), so I got a 2007 Suburban. I think one of the great things about these is you get all kinds of tech and creature comforts, still at a decent price. I have heated front and back seats, power everything, leather everything, all in great functioning condition. But I do have the LTZ package. Which depending on what you want to do with it, I would say avoid! Because the LTZ has the air-ride suspension and its a PITA when you replace it because of the sensors. If you are not going to change suspension and this is more of a family long distance cruiser and campground rig, you could leave it. The ride quality is amazing. But I wanted a lift and bigger tires so I replaced mine with a leveling kit, new shocks all around, and HD springs in the back and stuffed 33.5 (almost 34") tires under it. Still rides great and cruises on the highway at 75 no problem, but I have dash lights and "warning" messages to check suspension components all the time haha. Again, aftermarket support is hit or miss, mostly misses. There is some crossover with the silverado of the same gen for front suspension components but most other stuff will then involves some level of custom work. Unlike Toyota's which you can buy anything for and Lexus seems to be getting lots of attention too in the aftermarket lately, you may need to get a bit more creative.

Here is my build thread and a pic of how mine sits right now: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2007-suburban-mudhorn.208787/
IMG_20200627_091432.jpg

MG99

I think a tahoe or suburban build would be awesome (as seen above^^ ?). I don’t know much about them but I occasionally come across older model “2500” Suburbans. What’s the difference???

jonathon

Avoid 07-11 1500s with the exception of the those with the 6.2. Some still had the 4l60e and lifter problems are unfortunately really common on the 07-11 1500s with the 5.3 and 6.0.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
AFAIK GMT 900 SUVs (2007 - 2014) only have a couple of issues to watch out for.

Biggest is the AFM (Active Fuel Management) issues in the early 5.3 engine vehicles. Lots of people had engines replaced due to issues with this. There's a ton of info on the intertoobz about this. As I understand it, most of the worst AFM issues were ironed out by the 2009 model year.

A more minor issue is that starting in 2007, GM made the 2 speed transfer case an option instead of standard on 4x4 models. So if having low range is important to you (it was to me) you'll want to check to make sure it has it. The single-speed models have 3 positions on the dial (2wd, 4A which is Automatic 4wd, and 4wd) while the 2 speed models have 4 positions (2hi, 4A, 4hi and 4lo.)

Also when shopping, note that the GMT900 got the 6 speed auto starting in 09. 07 and 08 models still had the 4 speed.

socal4n4

Correct, I've done my research and some of you have wrong information here

09-up have the 6l80 transmission which is one of GM's best transmissions which extremely low failure rate
almost all 07-14 Tahoes have the 5.3l LY5 or LMG engine which by itself is pretty bulletproof, I browsed the classifieds on different platforms and found plenety above 200k, I saw at least 5 with over 300k miles
the problem with some 5.3l is the AFM which is considered DoD, most people in the aftermarket world tune it out or do an AFM delete kit
Not all LTZ models come with air suspension, its an option and I agree with the above poster that if you are going to lift don't get one with it
Most problems I've seen are :

AFM issues as mentioned
Minor electronic problems (mostly radio and navigation issues)
Outside door handles
Dash cracks
Rear defrost plugs breaking

nothing too bad in my opinion, the powertrain seems solid, I think most of the powertrain will outlast the body IMO

I say go for it @socal4n4. I do not regret buying mine one bit, I've only put about 20k miles on mine but it still mechanically seems sound at about 140k miles on the odometer. I will agree with your above post, my dash is cracked and f'd lol but oh well. And one of my rear defrost plugs did literally just fall off haha. I think the only electrical issue I have is my driver side speakers sometimes cut out, but I plan on doing a refresh on the audio at some point anyway so.

I love that mine is capable of handling what I use it for, but it also is amazing on long highway runs when I need to. Even with the 4 speed (planning to maybe regear some day if I bump up in tires) and oversized 33's, I can still get just about 400-450 miles on a tank of gas. Driving from TN to PA I can do it in one stop. Which is pretty awesome to me considering the size of this thing. I fully support more sub's and hoe's on the road.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
AFAIK GMT 900 SUVs (2007 - 2014) only have a couple of issues to watch out for.

Biggest is the AFM (Active Fuel Management) issues in the early 5.3 engine vehicles. Lots of people had engines replaced due to issues with this. There's a ton of info on the intertoobz about this. As I understand it, most of the worst AFM issues were ironed out by the 2009 model year.

Alas my experience at my prior employer proved otherwise. Our Tahoes were in the 2011 to 2013 range and they ate engines like candy. All because of the AFM. :mad: My 2011 had the engine top end rebuilt and I visited the shop while working on it, took ten days and I honestly think that an engine swap would have been faster to do. . They showed me the cam and it looked like someone took a chisel to one of the lobes. Hated AFM with a passion!

mekcanix

Camper
While I love my 2016 rebel I really am missing my 2009 sierra that truck gave me next to no issues. the only reoccurring one was the oil pressure sender failed i believe 3 times in the 7 years i had the truck.
the only reason its gone is because it started to develop a weird shift issue and I was loosing the battle with rust.
I really loved that truck it would take us anywhere we wanted (within reason its a fullsize truck with just a level and 33's. The G80 worked well and the auto 4x4 in the winter was a set it and forget it

yep awesome truck just next to no aftermarket support

1stDeuce

Explorer
Someone asked about the 2500 version so I'll chime in with a bit more info. The light duty 900 SUV's use the same chassis components as the LD 900 pickups, excepting coil rear vs. leaf spring.

The 2500 version SUV's use the same chassis as the 2500HD GMT 800 trucks, going back to ~2000, and 900 HD trucks up through 2010. That chassis was used right to the end of the 2500 Surbuban and Yukon XL, including the 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern, while the 900 HD trucks got a major chassis update in 2011 and went to larger everything, including bolt pattern.

I saw a youtube video that suggested the 6L80e used in the LD trucks was only good for 150k or so before having issues. I wonder how much of that is due to total lack of maintenance that most light duty vehicles are subject to... I can tell you that the 6L90e is mostly the same trans with some HD updates, and the one in the 2009 2500 we picked up recently works flawlessly after 200k miles of being used by a survey crew...

I too would recommend getting rid of the DOD if you get a LD truck. Poor man's way to turn it off is to run tow haul mode... That said, my dad's '08 has it with a couple hundred thousand miles and no issues. This again causes me to wonder if it has to do with poor maintenance practices, or a driving schedule that runs it more often...

I personally like the GMT800 trucks. They just have more style to my eye. The GMT900's went to an "every knob looks the same" interior, and I can hardly stand it. I don't care for the lack of body lines either. If you live in a rust belt, the 900's don't really have rocker panels, so you can run a more rusty truck that still looks nice if you keep the doors from rotting off... I also like the GMT900 seats, which are more firm than the seats in my GMT800, and the ease of adding the DIC buttons to a base truck to get actual TPMS readings and other stuff. I don't care for auto climate controls, and both our trucks luckily have the manual version. The GMT800 has dual zone controls, while the GMT900 has only one zone. Mostly an issue if my wife is along, as she is always cold and dual zone control let us both be comfortable...

Finally, the 6 speed is something I would DEFINITELY look for over the 4 speed. It just works so much better. Our '09 has 3.73 gears with the 6 speed, and it's far better than the '02 we have with 4.10 gears. More gears = more better IMO. Plus first and reverse are pretty low in the 6 speed, so it really gets off the link quickly. Also makes low range almost un-necessary.

Good luck!!

socal4n4

I say go for it @socal4n4. I do not regret buying mine one bit, I've only put about 20k miles on mine but it still mechanically seems sound at about 140k miles on the odometer. I will agree with your above post, my dash is cracked and f'd lol but oh well. And one of my rear defrost plugs did literally just fall off haha. I think the only electrical issue I have is my driver side speakers sometimes cut out, but I plan on doing a refresh on the audio at some point anyway so.

I love that mine is capable of handling what I use it for, but it also is amazing on long highway runs when I need to. Even with the 4 speed (planning to maybe regear some day if I bump up in tires) and oversized 33's, I can still get just about 400-450 miles on a tank of gas. Driving from TN to PA I can do it in one stop. Which is pretty awesome to me considering the size of this thing. I fully support more sub's and hoe's on the road.

Nice what year do you have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online