GMT800 Rear Sway Bar Question

Stryder106

Explorer
Hi Y'All,

Has anyone removed the rear anti-sway bar from their GMT800 rigs? If so, how much looser does it make the rig, loaded and unloaded? I'm trying to fit an ARB diff cover that is formed to strengthen the entire rear differential, but it is hitting my anti-sway bar. So, I'm trying to figure out if the anti-sway bar is useful or a hindrance on our rigs. I do occasionally tow.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I wouldn't remove it, especially if you tow. Have you tried longer sway bar links? Pretty sure they are available for the rear. I put longer sway bar links on the front on my Suburban, got them from Amazon. Moog parts, not expensive at all (around $10/side IIRC.)

Ramblejam

Observer
Which GMT-800 are you referring to?

My Suburban 2500 doesn't even come with one from the factory. However, OEM fitment is basic twin-tube shocks on the front, and monotubes on the back; I can confirm that it makes a difference.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Which GMT-800 are you referring to?

My Suburban 2500 doesn't even come with one from the factory. However, OEM fitment is basic twin-tube shocks on the front, and monotubes on the back; I can confirm that it makes a difference.

No sway bar in the rear? Maybe because your truck has leaf springs they didn't think they needed it?

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Have you tried longer sway bar links?

I don't think that's the problem. I'm guessing the bar passes close to the diff cover in factory trim and Stryder is trying to put on a bigger/thicker cover and it's hitting the sway bar.

If that's the case, I'd look into getting a spacer made to space it out away from the axle. Probably won't take much (I say without knowing the situation).

Or try without the bar. I removed it from my Explorer and it was fine: on road and off.

Stryder106

Explorer
I don't think that's the problem. I'm guessing the bar passes close to the diff cover in factory trim and Stryder is trying to put on a bigger/thicker cover and it's hitting the sway bar.

If that's the case, I'd look into getting a spacer made to space it out away from the axle. Probably won't take much (I say without knowing the situation).

Or try without the bar. I removed it from my Explorer and it was fine: on road and off.

^^^YES This^^^

Trying to space it a little further out. If not, I'll leave the stock diff cover on it and save the $200 for now.

rayra

Expedition Leader
extended end links should pivot the center hoop of the sway bar further away from the diff cover. But keep aware that max suspension extension will pivot the sway bar towards the diff cover.

A competent welding / fabrication shop could cut and extend your factory rear links. It's just a steel rod connecting the bushings / end mounts.
Alteratively, you could fab a spacer insert that bolts into the top end link frame mount and moves the link down ~2". That will pivot your sway bar out away from the diff cover. Not sure what that does to the normal function / geometry of the sway bar in normal driving.

suspensionlift16_zpseaj5jqlv.jpg

Last edited:

Burb One

Adventurer
I've experimented with it disconnected, and honestly couldn't tell any difference on the road. Off road, there was MAYBE some more articulation? I reconnected it, simply because I was too scared to tow without it... Haven't touched it since....

Also if you haven't bought the diff cover I have this one, it's a serious piece of metal and doesn't contact the sway bar. Also miles cheaper than the ARB. (It's 3/4" steel ring and then the cover is 1/4". Pretty good, and if you want to add the truss or something (I remember you mentioning), you could have whatever you want welded to it or weld some tabs, and bolt the rest of the onto the tabs so it's all removeable for service.

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/collections/differential-covers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles