Gmt800 coilover conversion kit thoughts?

Atomic Fab Kit: ( https://atomicfabandperformance.com/product/99-06-torsion-bar-coilover-package/ )

JD Fab Kit: ( https://jdfabrication.com/collectio...to-06-chevy-1500-4x4-mid-travel-coil-over-kit )

Anyone ever used these kits? I'm wondering if the JD weld your own bracket deal has any benefits besides cost compared to the direct replacement Atomic kit.

Also, if I'm going for a 2-3" lift on my Tahoe, this should be achieveable through a coilover conversion with otherwise stock components right? The rear I was going to look at airbag supported springs or something.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

CodyY

Explorer
All new to me, but the Atomic includes shocks, JD doesn't.

Jd appears to be a little more hardcore and Atomic appears to be a little more "handling" oriented and JD more offroad

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

All new to me, but the Atomic includes shocks, JD doesn't.

Jd appears to be a little more hardcore and Atomic appears to be a little more "handling" oriented and JD more offroad

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Oh yeah the included shock thing is definitely where the price difference is. Should have noted that. Also it looks like it raises the top mount of the shock up significantly, so more suspension travel? I'm definitely leaning towards the JD because if I'm pulling my engine and everything there's really nothing hard about welding the new bracket on.

60beforetruck

Offroad design was running a prototype they where working on in Moab this past April. Had BDS parts with Offroad Design coil over mount.

Attachments

• 20190414_095052_resize_6.jpg
    20190414_095052_resize_6.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 94

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Atomic Fab kit is a great deal for the money. Or at least if you want to keep the price under $1,000. If you want to spend more on the coilover kit and the shocks than the truck is work definitely go with JD kit.

Both the installs are pretty straight forward. Other than JD requires more fabrication, cutting and welding. Atomic is straight up bolt on and only requires 1/2" trim off the jouncer bracket.

My install write up for Atomic Fab Coilover kit

And if you are interested in how either one holds up, well it all depends on how hard you drive. Street use, expect a couple years with no issues. Mild 2wd dirt roads expect 1-2 years before a major overhaul. I drove the crap out of my truck. I'm talking about 400-500mile days with 300-350miles off road every week. Mostly in Mojave preserve and Death Valley. I'm talking about running the Mojave trial out and back in one day (280 miles). Or Steel pass, Lippincott and Echo canyon in Death valley in the same day, most take 4-6 days to do this trip.

This is how the suspension on very mild off road with the Atomic Fab kit.

Coilover carnage after 6 months of very hard driving

Another follow up writeup of how Atomic fab kit held up.

I ended up pulling the coilover kit out and putting the torsion bars in, but after a couple months the ride was so bad compared to the coilovers that I put the coilovers back in. Do not drive as hard and have not had any issues since.

Things to consider. 6,000lbs truck. 1,200# coil. 4" shock stroke. How much force do you think is placed on the brackets and frame.

Hope this helps.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Oh yeah the included shock thing is definitely where the price difference is. Should have noted that. Also it looks like it raises the top mount of the shock up significantly, so more suspension travel? I'm definitely leaning towards the JD because if I'm pulling my engine and everything there's really nothing hard about welding the new bracket on.

JD kit is a mid travel kit. And there are several things to consider with it. You will need new UCAs with uniballs, You will need new outer tire rods with uniballs. Your front sway bars will be eliminated, which is OK because the coilovers will have very effective preload and rebound dampening adjustments.

JD kit moves the top coilover mount up 5" allowing you to run a shock that has 6.5" stroke vs 4" with the Atomic kit. The difference between the two is Atomic requires a 1,200 coil for hard off road driving. (1,200 * 4 = 4,800 lbs) JD will have the same feel with a 700-750# coil. (750 * 6.5 = 4,875 lbs)

EAtSHEW.jpg

Orange coil is what goes into the JD kit, blue coil goes into the Atomic Fab kit.

Finally upward wheel travel with JD kit. You will have more of it, thats how JD gets 10-11" of wheel travel. Which is awesome but you will have to run at least 35" tires if you plan on taking the truck off road. With that said, now you have more work to do. New upward wheel travel will require raising wheel wells.

You are correct, there is also nothing hard about welding on a new bracket, you just have to run a backing plate and box in the rear section which will be easy once the motor is out.

I have had the Atomic Fab kit in my Suburban for over a year and I absolutely love it. The ride quality especially off road is scary confidence inspiring. Coilovers make the GMT800 IFS come alive and turn the truck into a truck rather than an over glorified soccer mom mobile. After all this time with the Atomic kit I am slowly piecing parts together so I can build my own version of the JD kit, I want more wheel travel which will give me a smoother and faster ride.

JD kit involves much more work than Atomic Fab kit but is very much worth it if you are already running off road trails, especially in the desert.

Whichever route you take you will enjoy it and we want to see some pictures of your build and suspension upgrade.

JD kit is a mid travel kit. And there are several things to consider with it. You will need new UCAs with uniballs, You will need new outer tire rods with uniballs. Your front sway bars will be eliminated, which is OK because the coilovers will have very effective preload and rebound dampening adjustments.

JD kit moves the top coilover mount up 5" allowing you to run a shock that has 6.5" stroke vs 4" with the Atomic kit. The difference between the two is Atomic requires a 1,200 coil for hard off road driving. (1,200 * 4 = 4,800 lbs) JD will have the same feel with a 700-750# coil. (750 * 6.5 = 4,875 lbs)

EAtSHEW.jpg

Orange coil is what goes into the JD kit, blue coil goes into the Atomic Fab kit.

Finally upward wheel travel with JD kit. You will have more of it, thats how JD gets 10-11" of wheel travel. Which is awesome but you will have to run at least 35" tires if you plan on taking the truck off road. With that said, now you have more work to do. New upward wheel travel will require raising wheel wells.

You are correct, there is also nothing hard about welding on a new bracket, you just have to run a backing plate and box in the rear section which will be easy once the motor is out.

I have had the Atomic Fab kit in my Suburban for over a year and I absolutely love it. The ride quality especially off road is scary confidence inspiring. Coilovers make the GMT800 IFS come alive and turn the truck into a truck rather than an over glorified soccer mom mobile. After all this time with the Atomic kit I am slowly piecing parts together so I can build my own version of the JD kit, I want more wheel travel which will give me a smoother and faster ride.

JD kit involves much more work than Atomic Fab kit but is very much worth it if you are already running off road trails, especially in the desert.

Whichever route you take you will enjoy it and we want to see some pictures of your build and suspension upgrade.
I've come to the realization that my Tahoe is worth essentially nothing on the used market... So I will put it to use as our camper/off-road fun vehicle. I am building up an archive of all the threads and sites I'll need when it comes time to start actually doing the real deal upgrades, so your info is much appreciated.

I'm planning on doing a lq9 swap, a 4l80e swap, and a coil over conversion. I figure why buy new when I can upgrade something I already know I love to drive. So the part on the JD kit of spending more than the trucks worth... That ship sailed a while ago (mentally anyways)

When it comes time to start doing it all I will definitely be posting about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior