GMRS Recommendation

TBKCO

Sorry if this is already been covered. New to this forum and couldn’t find it in search. Our local wheeling group here in Colorado uses GRMS, which is new to me. I know I need to get a license, so I’m going to get that sorted. But I’m looking for recommendations on equipment. I’d prefer something handheld if possible, but I see a lot of posts around vehicle antennas.

Are there good hand held her portable systems that the group would recommend? What else do I need to know? Sorry this is all very new to me but I am finding vehicle to vehicle communication to be more and more important as I start to convoy with others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dreadlocks

Ive got two Kenwood TK860's for my GMRS repeater, the'd make fine mobile rigs if your wanting vehicle to vehicle communication.. think I paid about $45 each for em.

for handhelds I've standardized around the Zastone X6/Retevis RT22, very simple, idiot proof, rugged and cheap.. I've got 6 of em for my party (with 6 gang charger) pre-programmed to my frequencies.. Turn it on, set channel we are working, lock it to that channel and check it out to someone.. batteries last a few days and its small/comfortable to wear on a lanyard or just slide it in a pocket

If you need help programming either radio for your use, I'm in Denver Metro and have all the cables/software for the job.

If your all in a tight convoy (all within ~1/2 mile) handhelds work fine, if you spread out further than that you'll at least want an external antenna since trying to use a radio in a big metal box really hurts performance.. If you want maximum range and performance, a mobile radio will kick the crap out of any handheld.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
In that case I would throw out there to look for old Vertex Standard radios. I see them at hamfests for like $10 and $20 for the VX-400, but there are others like the VX-160. They are commercial radios but aren't narrowband capable. They share the same chassis with the VX-177, VX-277 ham HTs and therefore can use the same accessories and batteries (the FNB-83 NiMH for example). Vertex gives away the software, or at least used to before Motorola. If they don't anymore that would be a real shame.

camp4x4

Adventurer
With GMRS my feeling is just K.I.S.S. and stick with GMRS specific radios. Everything suggested thus far are business band radios. Besides being a grey zone of legality, they'd require programming to work on GMRS. A GMRS certified radio will require 0 setup. dreadlocks is right about mobile units vs handhelds. Check out Midlands MXT line. Any of those, with an external antenna mounted on your truck, will be way better than a handheld.

There's also the BTECH GMRS handheld - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWOLZ8L/?ref=idea_lv_dp_ov_d which is Part 95 certified and has a removable antenna so it can serve double duty: connected to an external antenna, mounted on the dash and using an add-on hand-mic, or with the stock antenna as a handheld.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I agree with you @camp4x4, just throwing out cheap and rugged alternatives. BTW, doesn't the FCC have to know GMRS repeaters surely must be old wide band commercial gear and I'm guessing don't carry a Part 95 certification?

Last edited:

TBKCO

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Lots to consider here. I like the idea of the Midlands in the truck, and having a few handhelds for camping, etc. Having something waterproof(ish) would be great because I could also see using them in some spots while kayaking. Still learning more, but this gives me a great start.

camp4x4

Adventurer
I agree with you @camp4x4, just throwing out cheap and rugged alternatives. BTW, doesn't the FCC have to know GMRS repeaters surely must be old wide band commercial gear and I'm guessing don't carry a Part 95 certification?

Yeah, that's why I called it a grey area... GMRS has so many weird grandfather'd in stuff its pretty hard to know who's operating on what and if they're legit or not... FCC has even stated they're aware people are using Part 90 gear extensively and ... ? So yeah... for me, getting GMRS certified equipment is just a matter of simplicity... I've got a TK805 and a few of the Baofeng radios that can be programmed to GMRS frequencies/settings.. but don't ask me which channel they equate to... if I'm dealing with others who are using GMRS gear I'd just rather be speaking the same language. "Yeah, I'm on channel 22, privacy code 3"... yeah, what frequency and PL tone does that equate to?

camp4x4

Adventurer
Oh... and I'd LOVE to see Midlands or someone come out with a plug-n-play Part 95 repeater. The really interesting thing is that Midlands' MXT400 radio is just a custom-programmed, rebadged Baofeng BF-9500 (or whatever generic Chinese radio Baofeng is using...) that's been sent through the Part 95 certification process. These radios have programming features and even have provisions for a 15-pin D-sub connector typically used with a repeater controller. Sell 2 of those bundled with a duplexer and repeater controller and you've got an easy-peasy repeater setup clubs like TBKCO's could use to expand GMRS repeater coverage...

dreadlocks

You can program the channels to correspond to the GMRS channels, Chirp even has a template so its not all that difficult.. For tones I use the same tone hardcoded to each channel, 127.3 which is either 19 or 20 depending on the radio manufacturer (tones are not standard so no guarantee they will work between brands)

I havent looked at off the shelf GMRS radios in a very long time, but last time I did look there were zero bubble pack radios that could do duplex and talk on repeaters.. and thats why I started reprogramming commercial and import radios for GMRS use.

I dont really talk with others tho, for me to run a repeater out of my basecamp I've hadda provide the radio gear to anyone in my party.. which is why I have a bunch of minimalist idiot proof radios.. but if you want to BYOD and we are just working simplex, then we can get you working with the rest of my radios easy enough.

camp4x4

Adventurer
You can program the channels to correspond to the GMRS channels, Chirp even has a template so its not all that difficult.. For tones I use the same tone hardcoded to each channel, 127.3 which is either 19 or 20 depending on the radio manufacturer (tones are not standard so no guarantee they will work between brands)

I havent looked at off the shelf GMRS radios in a very long time, but last time I did look there were zero bubble pack radios that could do duplex and talk on repeaters.. and thats why I started reprogramming commercial and import radios for GMRS use.

I dont really talk with others tho, for me to run a repeater out of my basecamp I've hadda provide the radio gear to anyone in my party.. which is why I have a bunch of minimalist idiot proof radios.. but if you want to BYOD and we are just working simplex, then we can get you working with the rest of my radios easy enough.

Yeah, I get that it isn't hard (ham myself, number of different radios, familiar with Chirp), but, just another thing to have to figure out... just saying... You're right about handhelds mostly not doing repeaters... the Baofeng GMRS radio I mentioned does have repeater channels. I kind of see repeater use more for mobile radios where you're trying to go truck to truck - e.g. when meeting up with a crew and checking in, or when there's a super long or remote trail like the Rubicon where you might want to go from end to end, or trying to get an off-the-trail contact with someone in town. With a handheld I'd expect more local-contact use...

I know there have been and probably are GMRS cert'd handhelds that do repeaters.. but you're right, they're hard to find.

I will say that it's cool to see Motorola already taking advantage of the new digital packet rules for FRS/GMRS with these app-connectable radios: https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_us/products/two-way-radios/consumer-two-way-radios/t800.html

moderndaynorseman

Not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a 2 watt mobile GMRS setup? Up here in Canuckistan we are limited to 2 watts of power and all of the mobile GMRS radios I can seem to find are either 5 or 15 watts. Ideally, I'd like a vehicle mounted radio with some handhelds as backups or to lend out to trip partners if needed.

dreadlocks

that is awesome, glad to see packet radio already being implemented.. figured it'd be another decade with the glacial pace of GMRS progress.. Now I just need a standalone radio w/built in GPS and TNC so I can keep track of my kids.

My repeater is on my trailer which is left at basecamp, lets those with handhelds around camp talk to mobile (TV/Jeep/soon ATV) radios and have the radios still work when inside the aluminum trailer.. the beacon helps the boys realize they are within RX range, and you can key up quickly and listen for squelch tail to check still with in TX range.. as long as they stay within comms range and respond to regular check-ins I let em roam about largely unsupervised... When we go out with a group of family/friends we end up spread a bit across the area because finding large dispersed national forrest sites that can hold multiple vehicles is not very common.

Just went to scout night at the zoo last weekend, holy crap am I glad I brought the radios.. lets dress a few thousand boys up the same and let em loose in a poorly lit zoo like lord of the flies.

@moderndaynorseman I've got some BAOFENG BF-T1 radios that I quite like.. very small and only 1w.. it scans between your active channel and an emergency channel at same time, if you guys have a national emergency call channel you can program that up and if anyone ever tries to use it when your in range it will be listening.. which is pretty damn neat IMO.. the only thing I dont like about em really is they take a different programming cable than the rest of my handhelds..

camp4x4

Adventurer
that is awesome, glad to see packet radio already being implemented.. figured it'd be another decade with the glacial pace of GMRS progress.. Now I just need a standalone radio w/built in GPS and TNC so I can keep track of my kids.

My repeater is on my trailer which is left at basecamp, lets those with handhelds around camp talk to mobile (TV/Jeep/soon ATV) radios and have the radios still work when inside the aluminum trailer.. the beacon helps the boys realize they are within RX range, and you can key up quickly and listen for squelch tail to check still with in TX range.. as long as they stay within comms range and respond to regular check-ins I let em roam about largely unsupervised... When we go out with a group of family/friends we end up spread a bit across the area because finding large dispersed national forrest sites that can hold multiple vehicles is not very common.

Just went to scout night at the zoo last weekend, holy crap am I glad I brought the radios.. lets dress a few thousand boys up the same and let em loose in a poorly lit zoo like lord of the flies.

@moderndaynorseman I've got some BAOFENG BF-T1 radios that I quite like.. very small and only 1w.. it scans between your active channel and an emergency channel at same time, if you guys have a national emergency call channel you can program that up and if anyone ever tries to use it when your in range it will be listening.. which is pretty damn neat IMO.. the only thing I dont like about em really is they take a different programming cable than the rest of my handhelds..

Yeah, I was surprised when I found those! REALLY wish FCC would allow it to work on non-fixed antenna radios as well. Think about having your kids not even need to key-up to check for the tail on the repeater... if they beaconed their location and didn't hear a beacon back from a designated mobile unit then an alert goes off... killer app imo. Better yet an open protocol like APRS so other apps (GaiaGPS) could connect to the radio and tap into the beacons. Amazing.

I like those BF-T1s... would be awesome spotter radios on the trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles