GMRS antenna recomendations

illking

Observer
curious what antennas you guys are using for GMRS on your rigs? Im currently using a Midland MXT275 with the included mag mount antenna. I would like to get a better antenna but love the low profile of the included antenna. any suggestions out there?

aearles

Observer
Glad you brought this up. I just got a MXT275 too, it will be in addition to my primary 2M/70CM rig with a Larsen NMO2/70 just so I can be legal and free up my ham. It doesn't need to be top performance for me, so I am going to order the Larsen Mirage so I have a low profile option when needed. I was planning on one of the Laird Phantoms but I like the look of the Larsen better and have had good luck with their other stuff, so even though it appears to be a newer product and no feedback online, I'm excited to give it a try.

It's the flat round one on the right here (the left I believe is a Laird Phantom, or similar):
30250d1289595967-need-help-identifying-antenna-cid_399.jpg

illking

Observer
whoa that's very low profile! keep us posted on your results.i should have mentioned I dont wanna drill any holes in my roof so ill probably go with a magnetic mount

MidlandUSA

Supporting Sponsor
curious what antennas you guys are using for GMRS on your rigs? Im currently using a Midland MXT275 with the included mag mount antenna. I would like to get a better antenna but love the low profile of the included antenna. any suggestions out there?

Hi there! Have you looked at upgrading with a Midland antenna? The MXTA10 will get you a significant amount more power and is still semi-low profile at 12 inches high. Our antenna that will give you the most signal output is the MXTA11. Here are all of our additional MicroMobile accessories. https://midlandusa.com/product-category/accessories/micromobile-accessories/

You can pair one of the antennas with an upgraded magmount that has the cable included. https://midlandusa.com/product/mxta12-antenna-mag-mount/

We appreciate your business and hope you are enjoying the MXT275!

illking

Observer
Hi there! Have you looked at upgrading with a Midland antenna? The MXTA10 will get you a significant amount more power and is still semi-low profile at 12 inches high. Our antenna that will give you the most signal output is the MXTA11. Here are all of our additional MicroMobile accessories. https://midlandusa.com/product-category/accessories/micromobile-accessories/

You can pair one of the antennas with an upgraded magmount that has the cable included. https://midlandusa.com/product/mxta12-antenna-mag-mount/

We appreciate your business and hope you are enjoying the MXT275

Comunications car to car with included antenna are great. I can hear local repeaters, with a MXTA11 would I be able to make contact with local repeaters?

dreadlocks

I'm using a Comet CA-2X4SR w/Spring on my adventure trailer GMRS Repeater and APRS Radio, I plan on getting another one for my tow vehicle w/a Kenwood D710G modified to reach GMRS frequencies.. just trying to decide if I should drill a hole through the roof and get it done or wait a bit longer and save up and put a front runner roof rack on and mount it to that.

I've been very happy with its performance, when I was setting up the 2m radio I noticed I was getting better reception in the driveway than my home station's J-Pole.. so I went out and bought a new base station antenna for home and my performance skyrocketed.

Folding antenna was pretty much mandatory for my trailer since the top of the antenna is ~13ft high now.. first antenna I put up broke clean off within the first few trips.. Ive since bent a spring on the Comet but the antenna held up fine, cheaper to replace the spring than the whole antenna.. but now I'm moving it from the passanger side to the drivers side right next to the ladder, so its further away from trees, I'll be able to see it in rear view mirror and folding it over when needed will be a quick 30s job without actually requiring stepping foot on the roof.

Last edited:

MidlandUSA

Supporting Sponsor
Comunications car to car with included antenna are great. I can hear local repeaters, with a MXTA11 would I be able to make contact with local repeaters?
An upgraded antenna will definitely increase the range of the radio but we can't guarantee if it's going to reach local repeaters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles