GMC Topkick

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I have an opportunity to buy a 1993 Topkick Crew Cab 2WD truck with 200K miles for a great price (less than $4K). 3208 CAT, 6 Speed manual Transmission, 28K GVRW, trough type bed on the rear, 22.5 aluminum wheels and d air brakes. Previously as used to pull a race trailer. I like the truck due to the wheelbase with the rear duals all the way at the back of the chassis.

Yes I know it is BIG and is not 4WD however I am thinking this might make a great RV build project by removing the current bed, installing a 12-14 foot box and doing the RV conversion in the box as others have done on Expo. Good truck although a little overkill for an RV however it would be Kool in the end and comfortable to travel within.

In Tennessee there is no requirement to change the vehicle classification to RV AND as long as the vehicle is used for Private Non-Commercial purposes such as an RV there is no requirement for a CDL to operate this vehicle which is over the 26,500# commercial limit and has air brakes. Yes this information comes straight from the head of Commercial Vehicle Enforcement in the State of Tennessee. He said I could drive a 379 Peterbuilt tractor back and forth to work as daily driver if I wanted to with no CDL as long as that 379 Pete was not used for any commercial purposes. As such I could also drive this vehicle in all 50 states as they all have to recognize and accept the vehicle registration laws of the State of Tennessee where the vehicle is registered. I can run a cheap regular "P" weighted Farm tag and be totally legal.

Anyway here are some "Squares" of the truck.

What do ya think of my foolish idea???

Attachments

• Topkick GMC 1.2jpg.jpg
    Topkick GMC 1.2jpg.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 89
  • Topkick GMC 1.jpg
    Topkick GMC 1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 99
  • Topkick GMC 3..jpg
    Topkick GMC 3..jpg
    2 MB · Views: 98
  • Topkick GMC 4..jpg
    Topkick GMC 4..jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
  • Topkick GMC 5..jpg
    Topkick GMC 5..jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I've never seen a Top Kick/Kodiak with the plushed out "Silverado" style interior. That style bucket seat that was used in '92-'94 Suburbans is one of my favorite seats ever. I would probably do it even if it didn't prove out to be a "good" idea. I vote yes...

1stDeuce

Explorer
We have a '98 water truck with a 3116 cat and he 6 speed manual. It's not exactly relaxing to drive, as it rides pretty rough, and the Cat makes a lot of noise... And the 6 speed seems to match shift better than it clutch shifts...
Neat truck though. If it's what you think you want, get it!! :)

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
You sure it's a 3208 and not a 3116? A 3208 will get decent mileage with the right gears and keeping the speed down. My grandfathers motorhome with a 1145 Cat, 5 speed and two speed rearend in a 1970 Ford cabover with a 27' Winnebago fifth wheel bolted on the back could drive all the way from Phoenix AZ to almost Fairbanks AK on 400 gallons of diesel. Of course the Alaska Highway wasn't paved the whole way then and his speeds were much slower than todays.

twodollars

Managed a small fleet that had a couple of later model gmc medium duty trucks. Unloaded that are very rough. Designed to have a good portion of their load capacity on them.

D

Deleted member 9101

My advice: build it exactly how you want it, then go get it weighed. Have your springs rebuilt/replaced to match your new weight. It should ride pretty nice after that.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Seems like an awesome platform and unique idea. At the price point, you could get your money back too I'd bet.

Wildcat13

I'd buy that in a heartbeat. 4x4 swap, camper trailer box on the back...poor man's EarthRoamer!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Halligan

Adventurer
Is it definitely a 3208 cat (V-8 configuration)? If yes then is it a turbocharged version or the N/A version? A non turbo 3208 is pretty gutless. Also 3208’s were kind of an entry level throw away diesel. If it’s already tired don’t waste your time and money on it.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
3208 is a much maligned platform. Lots of talk about throw away because of lack of cylinder liners etc. Well the proof is in the pudding. It was at one point one of the top selling diesels of all time for medium duty applications. Especially in the marine world where there are tens of thousands of 3208s happily ticking away at WOT for decades on end in hard life fishing fleets. I think they were great. They liked to be revved and not lugged like the straight 6s of the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94