GMC Topkick 4x4 Expedition Camper Build

I'm still unsure what route I'll go for wheels and tires. I sure like Java's new set up,too bad those were 10 hole ford pattern or I would have gotten some too. I'm going to go to the Canadian Rockwell guy when my truck is out of the shop and try some MRAP wheels and whatever else he has and help decide.

Who is this guy? Could you DM me his info so we don’t cloud up this thread? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GivanNYC

While all this is going on, I'm planning wheels for the 335/85R20 Michelins. I can only find two choices:
- Hutchinson bead locks at $1400 each
- flat plate centers welded into agricultural 20x11 rims, at about $450 each (Stockton, Rickson, etc)

Welding in a flat, or slightly dished center into the rim, and then planning up to 5,000 lbs on each wheel is a recipe for disaster due to the stresses on the welds. All the OEM dually wheels have a fully dished center 4 or 5 inches deep which is pressed into the rim, and then welded. This is a much stronger and more reliable approach, but is not easy to achieve without some significant engineering and tooling costs.
However, being a retired engineer from Michelin, I have some contacts that can help me.
We are currently in the process of designing and building the appropriate OEM style centers. We're building these centers thicker and stronger than the original OEM wheels, so we're confident in their capacity.
The process will allow us to build centers for FORD F450 / F550 also.
We also have sourced some 11x20 rims, made of the same guage steel as the original 19.5 rims.

So we will have wheels for this truck soon, and will be able to offer wheels for the Fords also. Note these are custom build wheels with whatever offset is required to allow them to be used front and rear, with the same track.
Bob
Have you made the wheels yet?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
These may be an option. The bolt circle is correct, just a question of off set. VERY round! Have run mine back and forth across the US and they are great. The tires are a bit stiff, but compared to my past problems, they are great. I am running the General Grabber OA Wide Base tire in 385/65x22.5R https://generaltire.com/tires/commercial/grabber-oa-wb

Fabian is easy to work with. http://www.expeditions-lkw.de/satz-mit-5-felgen-11-75x22-5-8-loch-et110-kronprinz.html

You can order his lug nuts or get the lug nuts from a truck dealer in the US.

Fabian's e-mail: ‎<fabian@expeditions-lkw.de>

You can get five, delivered in the US, for about the price of two Hutchinsons.

Reactions: mog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles