GMC Savana 2500 Build Thread

fire_strom

Adventurer
Hi, welcome. I'm curious how the ladder goes. Keep us in the loop. I need a side ladder and if I build it it will work but will look like a hack did it. Which to fair would be true.
-G

Traveling_Strong

I got the old girl back today. I ended up going with a semi-gloss gray paint for the body and matte black for the bumpers and grill. Maaco did the job pretty cheap and I'm happy with the results.
PAINT3.jpg
PAINT2.jpgPAINT1.jpg

GARhead

I have a Bajavoodoo hid rack on my Express. I like it so far. I also have 4 of their mounts per side. I didn't care for their ladder too much, though. But i might think about it again
20170507_145247.jpg

GARhead

I didn't get one of their ladders. I looked it over at the shop when i got the rack, Dependable Off Road in Anaheim. It didnt look like it would hold me, lol. I ended up getting another brand for the rear door, which didnt work out either.

bald.eagle

Observer
I got the old girl back today. I ended up going with a semi-gloss gray paint for the body and matte black for the bumpers and grill. Maaco did the job pretty cheap and I'm happy with the results.
Looks good! I like the gray. I'm curious what the Maaco job set you back. My 02 Suburban has a serious case of Chevy-paint-itis and is cracking and peeling badly on the hood and roof. Did they paint the door jambs as well?

Traveling_Strong

Looks good! I like the gray. I'm curious what the Maaco job set you back. My 02 Suburban has a serious case of Chevy-paint-itis and is cracking and peeling badly on the hood and roof. Did they paint the door jambs as well?

Maaco has repainted my company vans white in the past and the cost was around $900.00. They charged $1,200 for the adventure van because I changed the color, painted the jambs and had them do the grill/bumpers.

Traveling_Strong

Here are a couple pictures of the adventure van in it's native habitat. We made our first trip to the desert last weekend which helped us develop a plan for the interior design. We will start installing the floor, walls and insulation this week. If anyone can give me some direction on what type of insulation to use for the walls, I would greatly appreciate it. We live in Southern California, so we are more concerned with keeping the heat out than keeping it in. Moisture is also not an issue. It was 90 degrees in the desert last weekend. I picked up a roll of R30 insulation at Home Depot, but I'm starting to think that it might not be the best option.

DESERT1.jpg
DESERT2.jpg

Traveling_Strong

how do you feel about the spindle lift front end so far? at highway speed etc? Thanks

The spindle lift feels very solid. It basically rides the same as it did with the stock suspension. The only problem I have encountered is with the gearing. The bigger tires make it drive like a dog. It will have to be regeared at some point in the future.

Last edited:

Traveling_Strong

We finally got the cargo rack and ladders installed yesterday. I'm really happy with the quality of the Voodoo Offroad parts. The ladders are very solid. I'm 190 lbs. and they don't move a bit when I climb them. The cargo rack is also very solid. I had steel mesh added so I stand on it. There is a little bit of flex, but it is more than sufficient for my needs.

The rear tire bracket is a different story. It is rock solid, but we are having technical difficulties with the installation. I will post some more pictures after we get it figured out.

RACK2.jpg
RACK1.jpg
RACK3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles