GMC 3500 Rear Bumper with Swing Outs - Who Would You Choose To Build One?

I'm looking for a rear bumper for my 2018 GMC Sierra 3500. I want dual swing-outs and a semi-modular system, similar to the Expedition One setup. I have heard enough horror stories about Expedition One, and their prices are high enough, that I think I'll pass on them. I had considered BuckStop, and that seemed like it was going to be a good fit, but after a number of back-and-forth emails with them nailing down the specs, they completely blew me off and never responded to my emails again.

I've tried a few other places, but I guess most people are too busy and don't seem interested in this project. I'd love to go with Aluminess, but they said they won't build one for my truck.

So, who would you choose? Someone in the western US would be preferable, but not required. I'm in the Reno/Lake Tahoe area.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Warn makes one but it's not modular. I dont think it would be too difficult for a good fab shop to drill the corners and mount swivel pins & latches. There might be a way to do it so you could have the swing outs removed most of the time, then install them for when you're heading on a trip also. Save the weight day to day. Good luck.

Warn makes one but it's not modular. I dont think it would be too difficult for a good fab shop to drill the corners and mount swivel pins & latches. There might be a way to do it so you could have the swing outs removed most of the time, then install them for when you're heading on a trip also. Save the weight day to day. Good luck.

Thanks. I've considered going this route. There are a number of basic, stock bumpers that I could modify. I would prefer to have someone build the entire assembly. Then I can just make whatever attachments I want myself and bolt them on when needed, just like you say. Removing the entire swingout could be advantageous at times, as well.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I understand that 100%. It may be cheaper however to use the "mass production" of what Warn (or someone similar) does, then pay for the custom work to get the "final design" you need. Either way I think it would work. But I do like how those rear bumpers look and they've obviously engineered it well. Good luck! I'm sure you will come up with something that works for you.

I have a question though- do you really need that much storage? Is your bed full? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a full size GMC 3500, but a big part of that is (despite the turning radius etc) I want the 8' bed, which I believe you have. And I don't want to add more weight outboard of that if I can help it. Just curious as it will help my design. Thanks!

I understand that 100%. It may be cheaper however to use the "mass production" of what Warn (or someone similar) does, then pay for the custom work to get the "final design" you need. Either way I think it would work. But I do like how those rear bumpers look and they've obviously engineered it well. Good luck! I'm sure you will come up with something that works for you.

I have a question though- do you really need that much storage? Is your bed full? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a full size GMC 3500, but a big part of that is (despite the turning radius etc) I want the 8' bed, which I believe you have. And I don't want to add more weight outboard of that if I can help it. Just curious as it will help my design. Thanks!

My biggest issue with the mass-produced pieces I've seen is that they have cutouts for lights and sensors that I don't want. I'm not really excited about spending that much money and having a number of plastic plugs covering unused holes. I like the Warn bumper, as well as the Fab Fours smooth ranch/pipe-style bumper, but both are only available with holes pre-drilled.

I run a FWC Grandby in the bed these days. Three people and a dog. We do just fine on space for all of the typical items. The big issue I have is boulder pads (rock climbing). They are big. They fit in the center aisle inside the camper, but have to be removed and sit on the ground everytime you want to get inside. It's a pain, and I don't like leaving them on the ground. My primary desire for a swingout bumper is to have a shelf that the pads can be strapped to and easily swung out of the way and stay in place, up off of the ground.

No compaints on the truck. I get way out there off of the pavement, but have zero interest in "rock crawling" and similar pursuits. My adventures usually revolve around reaching remote climbing areas and free dispersed camping away from people.

60beforetruck

Just went through this last year with my 04 chevy 2500. I was looking at Aluminess but, they had nothing for my truck. I also called Buckstop.

I ended up ordering a Trailready rear bumper (made at Buckstop) and a set of 1 3/4" poly performance spindles. Pin latch to lock in open position and drop down tire winch. Dual swing out with tire on the left and what ever on the right. Was going to make a plate like expedition one and just bolt different things to it. Also had a receiver hitch on the right side for a bike rack.

Started that before my Utah trip and ended up rolling the truck. Might sale it or make a new one for the suburban.

Attachments

• 20200202_112605_compress92.jpg
    20200202_112605_compress92.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200203_152708_compress31.jpg
    20200203_152708_compress31.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200203_152634_compress61.jpg
    20200203_152634_compress61.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200202_112630_compress56.jpg
    20200202_112630_compress56.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 36
Just went through this last year with my 04 chevy 2500. I was looking at Aluminess but, they had nothing for my truck. I also called Buckstop.

I ended up ordering a Trailready rear bumper (made at Buckstop) and a set of 1 3/4" poly performance spindles. Pin latch to lock in open position and drop down tire winch. Dual swing out with tire on the left and what ever on the right. Was going to make a plate like expedition one and just bolt different things to it. Also had a receiver hitch on the right side for a bike rack.

Started that before my Utah trip and ended up rolling the truck. Might sale it or make a new one for the suburban.

Cool. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior