GMC 1500 AWD Van

86cj

Explorer
Just a few little things to make living with the van even better:

I made a wind deflector to make driving with the window down a little more pleasant, it is version 1.0 but works so well it has remained. Great for those fall rides through the National Forest with a little heat going.

The two O2 fans actually fit the window frames of the pop out windows almost perfect and run nice and quiet pointed intake or exhaust, while not a replacement for a roof fan even one has done a good job for 30+ nights so far. I put some thin rubber on the bottom of the fan to prevent rattles and give it a little grip, the bungee keeps it from flying off when I forget and slam the door.

I put the Hellwig #7623 swaybar on the back of the van, I can't report on the handling yet but first impressions are good. The fit seems OK but it does hit the bumpstop pad on full droop, I did not unbolt shock and see if it was almost done drooping it looks like it was close. I will trim the bottom of the pad for some clearance though, it could stress the upper mount I just put in the frame. I do wonder though if the van was at stock height would the swaybar rub on the bigger spare tire under compression, it bows out alot allowing room for diff service or a 14 bolt axle, my bumpstops will touch when it gets close.

As always you don't need a Sportsmobile to enjoy the back country, the last of these AWD Vans are showing up for sale off lease with good miles...They just plain work, the downsides just don't show up under most conditions available to the average back country camper, in my experience so far.

Attachments

• Mirror.jpg
    Mirror.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 165
  • O2 Fan - Copy.jpg
    O2 Fan - Copy.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Sway bar full droop - Copy.jpg
    Sway bar full droop - Copy.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Sway bar clearance - Copy.jpg
    Sway bar clearance - Copy.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Hellwig rear sway bar - Copy.jpg
    Hellwig rear sway bar - Copy.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 143
  • sway bar ride ht - Copy.jpg
    sway bar ride ht - Copy.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 144

Choff

Adventurer
Nice job on the sway bar, what year AWD?, And let us know if it helps,
I have air bags to the springs in back and have had great luck with them. does help in cornering with the bags pumped up. helps a lot in trailering too.
2005 AWD GMC

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Just a few little things to make living with the van even better:

I made a wind deflector to make driving with the window down a little more pleasant, it is version 1.0 but works so well it has remained. Great for those fall rides through the National Forest with a little heat going.

The two O2 fans actually fit the window frames of the pop out windows almost perfect and run nice and quiet pointed intake or exhaust, while not a replacement for a roof fan even one has done a good job for 30+ nights so far. I put some thin rubber on the bottom of the fan to prevent rattles and give it a little grip, the bungee keeps it from flying off when I forget and slam the door.

I put the Hellwig #7623 swaybar on the back of the van, I can't report on the handling yet but first impressions are good. The fit seems OK but it does hit the bumpstop pad on full droop, I did not unbolt shock and see if it was almost done drooping it looks like it was close. I will trim the bottom of the pad for some clearance though, it could stress the upper mount I just put in the frame. I do wonder though if the van was at stock height would the swaybar rub on the bigger spare tire under compression, it bows out alot allowing room for diff service or a 14 bolt axle, my bumpstops will touch when it gets close.

As always you don't need a Sportsmobile to enjoy the back country, the last of these AWD Vans are showing up for sale off lease with good miles...They just plain work, the downsides just don't show up under most conditions available to the average back country camper, in my experience so far.

Info on O2 fan? 12v? Battery Operated?

Choff

Adventurer
http://www.o2-cool.com/FD10002A?page_id=845........

It's a 10" portable fan and the new one has a USB port now, mine runs the 40 hours or close to it on 6D batteries. Great little product, my buddy has had one for years so I bought two on sale a couple years ago, they hold up well. I use the A/C plug when I can, it moves a fair amount of air and is quiet.

We got on this year on Amazon, Works great !! moves air great and love the 12v charging

Twobilly

The Z-71 Bumpstops part #15153959 do seem to give a better ride and for less than $20 and about a minute to install it's worth it. With so little aftermarket support digging into the factory parts bin and making our own Z-71 AWD Van is one option, just need to add some skid plates and for some people the easy 4low transfer-case swap. When the Z-71 option came out decades ago it was a big improvement with good Bilstein shocks, better bumpstops, springs and skidplates. Today is has less offroad credibility with the Z-71 "Appearance Package" but if the bumpstops are better I will use them.

Anybody use Timbren bumpstops on the front of a GM IFS truck or SUV? They could be better than the Z-71's or could be to harsh?...................

Thanks for this. Struggling with figuring out how to get my bump stops/jounce bumpers closer to their factory distances from lower control arm and rear axle. I have a 2013 AWD Savana that I lifted 2" key lift (front) and 2" block lift (rear). Not completely satisfied with ride quality. My front and rear bump stop/jounce bumpers have not been adjusted down (i.e. my suspension ranges up farther before it contacts the bump stop/jounce bumpers). For example, my front lower control arm (LCA) bump stop rides approximately 3/4" off the LCA. I think the factory setting is closer to 1/4"??. On the back, my bump stop/jounce bumper is riding at least 2" higher off the mating surface on the axle than factory. While new to GM vehicles I believe this all negatively affects ride quality per what I understand from this site: http://www.gmfullsize.com/tech/torsion401.html

Happen to know of any replacement parts or shims or something to get these important suspension parts closer to their factory clearances?

Rykgt

Hi 86cj, I just purchased a 2007 GMC AWD Van. I want to do a mild lift as you and others have. You seem to have the best documented and thought out approach to lifting the van. I would plan to use your recommended parts: new torsion keys up front with Bilstein shocks 24-186643 and Z71 bumpstops #15153959, Suburban spring pack #22-907 and Bilstein #24-221948 in the rear. Did you find that the Hellwig swaybar was a significant improvement...worth the trouble of installing and modifying the bumpstop? What size tire and which wheel did you end up using which will still fit as a spare under the van? I appreciate all the effort you have put into these postings. Thanks.

45Kevin

Adventurer
Hi 86cj, What size tire and which wheel did you end up using which will still fit as a spare under the van?

I went with the Rough Country kit for my lift as well. I only used the (no name) front shocks, the keys and the u-bolts to bolt on my junk yard 2500 Suburban springs.
I don't have correct rear shocks but i think I will go with the 2500 Express rears from Rock-Auto.
I have 235/85/16s and the spare fits fine in its place. That's about a 32" tire.

As a side note, on the 2500 Suburban springs, one of the spring pack bracket bolts rubs on my frame. The bracket is about 1" from the next leaf so by moving it 1" it may get it far enough away from the frame to stop rubbing.
Anyone else with the Suburban springs getting this condition?

truckee travelers

I went with the Rough Country kit for my lift as well. I only used the (no name) front shocks, the keys and the u-bolts to bolt on my junk yard 2500 Suburban springs.
I don't have correct rear shocks but i think I will go with the 2500 Express rears from Rock-Auto.
I have 235/85/16s and the spare fits fine in its place. That's about a 32" tire.

As a side note, on the 2500 Suburban springs, one of the spring pack bracket bolts rubs on my frame. The bracket is about 1" from the next leaf so by moving it 1" it may get it far enough away from the frame to stop rubbing.
Anyone else with the Suburban springs getting this condition?

Same issue with the Suburban springs rubbing the passenger side frame. It's the bolt head of the spring clips that rubs. I removed bolt and cut the spacer 1/4" shorter then tighten to pull the clip ends closer together, added a little assistant with a pry bar to gain about 1/2". Working so far, if still a problem will go with the wrap style clips.

Scotty D

Same issue with the Suburban springs rubbing the passenger side frame. It's the bolt head of the spring clips that rubs. I removed bolt and cut the spacer 1/4" shorter then tighten to pull the clip ends closer together, added a little assistant with a pry bar to gain about 1/2". Working so far, if still a problem will go with the wrap style clips.
What is that box on the upper rear corner of the van? Is it a light?

86cj

Explorer
Its been a while but and update seems fitting, Van has been great but has a few issues. Its got 80,000 enjoyable miles, it is leaking trans fluid pretty good, minor front diff leak and the stabilitrac is pissed about the steering wheel sensor. I get a code once or twice a year cylinder misfire imbalance bank one or two never in summer and only a few times a winter it has done it for years. The rear swaybar really makes it keep up with traffic no matter the road conditions.

To Everbody just use the shocks I am and never think about issue again,..........

I did crank front down about a 1/2" to keep the upper arms off frame, van is way happier and I have not needed the lift. BTW my roads are worse than your trails, not a joke this van gets beat from roads.....

It really eats winter like a food source unbelievable performance, without a trailer in tow it is perfect for most anything. I now have a Intec toyhauler 5300 empty and could not wait for gm to announce the 6.6 which is still a ways out. the flat front is just to much for the 5.3 at speed.

Second set of BFG ATs at 75,000 miles were all over the road with squirm only slightly better with some miles, I have used them since the 1980's not as big of fan now. I put some Yokahama AT X on my new ram 35 12.50 18 pretty happy

Attachments

• Van and trailer.jpg
    Van and trailer.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Porch Veiw.JPG
    Porch Veiw.JPG
    587.9 KB · Views: 80

akskiffer

my shot 1/2ton springs are stuck in! 240k miles and i can't move the rear bolts .
cut off, penetrating z 45, torch galore, pounding (poor clearance), lots of impact wrench both ways .
the bolts are bonded to the bushing sleeves.
how did you spring changers get the leaf bolts out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles