GMC 1500 AWD Van

jdharrin

Observer
Great info in this thread, helped me pull the trigger on mine. The 1 question I have for you is not platform specific however, any drawbacks to using a remote starter as your de-facto camper heater? Seems like a clever way to avoid the hassles of portables.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
O.K For it's first birthday the GMC got a little boost, 3" in the back and 2 1/4" in the front.
I went with a new set of rear springs for a 93-99 3/4 ton suburban, #22-907 rated at 2900lbs vs 2200 stock, the spring pack provides 1 7/8" lift just due to it's thickness. A set of 3/4-1 ton Van bilstein rear shocks #24-025706 went on, they are 2.34" longer than stock AWD 1500 van rear shocks. In the front I used a Ready Lift kit #66-3000 with shock spacers for the stock shocks. I had the alignment checked today and put about 10 miles on it so handling impressions are coming, I hit some bad road and did not find it to ride like a 1 ton so first impressions are good.

Can I ask where you ordered your leaf springs from?
The local distributor has them ranging from $320-470 per side.
Online pricing seems to be from $150-250 per side plus $100 for shipping. It's hard to believe there is such a range of prices for such a simple part.

86cj

Explorer
Great info in this thread, helped me pull the trigger on mine. The 1 question I have for you is not platform specific however, any drawbacks to using a remote starter as your de-facto camper heater? Seems like a clever way to avoid the hassles of portables.

I am glad this thread helped you out that is what the Expo does, another AWD1500 in the back country!... I started it to help Camper's see the AWD 1/2 ton Van is perfect for people who remember when everybody didn't have 4WD, and just how far into the back country a similar length 2WD reg cab longbox pickup will go even without a locker! (before getting stuck and teaching you some life lessons). You have to pick your lines very carefully due to the soft underbelly but the AWD Van has a decent posi and a front axle helping things along. Yea it does not have low range stock but the 3:73 and 700r4 act like a 4:56 in first gear compared to an old Pickup and the 5.3 is a healthy smallblock. The 32" tires are big enough to handle most terrain except dedicated offroad trails with a scary name, if you substantially lift your van and put big enough tires to tackle dedicated trails you might no longer fit on those very trails due to height issues, I am into the tree branches now.. JMHO.....:ylsmoke:

O.K. cheerleading rant over, to answer your question:

We only use the remote start and dual heater to warm the van prior to getting into or out of bed, sleeping in temps down into the 20's outside has not been an issue. We saw 40* in the van and slept nice and comfy late fall in the mountains, no winter camping here. I would point out that my van has a quiet stock exhaust and a barely noticeable exhaust smell, if you started a loud 7.3 Ford next to my tent while sleeping it would take about 30 seconds for me to be knocking on your van door, so a readily available diesel furnace makes more sense. I wouldn't idle if a tent was near my exhaust by the way. (sorry to step on any toes here but an idling 7.3 smells especially awful, based on decades of construction jobsite experience)

Last edited:

86cj

Explorer
Can I ask where you ordered your leaf springs from?
The local distributor has them ranging from $320-470 per side.
Online pricing seems to be from $150-250 per side plus $100 for shipping. It's hard to believe there is such a range of prices for such a simple part.

Sure I bought the H.D. 3/4 ton suburban springs from:http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7347

Are you getting rid of the shock extensions too?........I am running a set in the front and want to change them next spring........

boardrider247

Sure I bought the H.D. 3/4 ton suburban springs from:http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7347

Are you getting rid of the shock extensions too?........I am running a set in the front and want to change them next spring........

Thanks I'll check them out.
Right now I have rough country shocks in the rear with homemade adapters. I will probably change them out for the bilsteins you are using when I change out the leaves.
In the front I am running longer rough country shocks, no adapters. So far I have been happy with the handling. But I don't try to drive it like a go kart so I haven't ever pushed its boundaries.

86cj

Explorer
Update on HD suburban leafs

I put some thin poly bumpstops on top of the bottom leaf to try and quiet some clicking as the pack works, the leafs seem to work well. The bottom plastic pads fell out and these bolt in, very easy....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-9132g/overview/ IMG_1773.JPG

O.K For it's first birthday the GMC got a little boost, 3" in the back and 2 1/4" in the front.
I went with a new set of rear springs for a 93-99 3/4 ton suburban, #22-907 rated at 2900lbs vs 2200 stock, the spring pack provides 1 7/8" lift just due to it's thickness. A set of 3/4-1 ton Van bilstein rear shocks #24-025706 went on, they are 2.34" longer than stock AWD 1500 van rear shocks. In the front I used a Ready Lift kit #66-3000 with shock spacers for the stock shocks. I had the alignment checked today and put about 10 miles on it so handling impressions are coming, I hit some bad road and did not find it to ride like a 1 ton so first impressions are good.

Last edited:

boardrider247

I put some thin poly bumpstops on top of the bottom leaf to try and quiet some clicking as the pack works, the leafs seem to work well. The bottom plastic pads fell out and these bolt in, very easy....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-9132g/overview/ View attachment 257465

thanks for the update. My springs arrived this week and I'll be looking at getting them installed in a week or two.
I will need to make sure I order those stops right away so I can do the job once. :sombrero:

jdharrin

Observer
We only use the remote start and dual heater to warm the van prior to getting into or out of bed, sleeping in temps down into the 20's outside has not been an issue. We saw 40* in the van and slept nice and comfy late fall in the mountains, no winter camping here. I would point out that my van has a quiet stock exhaust and a barely noticeable exhaust smell, if you started a loud 7.3 Ford next to my tent while sleeping it would take about 30 seconds for me to be knocking on your van door, so a readily available diesel furnace makes more sense. I wouldn't idle if a tent was near my exhaust by the way. (sorry to step on any toes here but an idling 7.3 smells especially awful, based on decades of construction jobsite experience)

This is helpful thanks and the quietness of the 5.3 is definitely a factor. Apparently you can rig a remote start to initiate based on the temp in the vehicle, might be the ultimate lazy man camper heater. And thanks for the suspension write-up, will copy you soon.

86cj

Explorer
Shock spacers

I just put a set of 5100 Bilstein 24-186643 shocks on the front of the Van,Van Front shocks.jpg

2" front shock spacers came with my Key lift so I used the decent stock shocks for a year. The stock shocks compressed length with the spacer was too long, on the passenger side I smashed the shock closed and inverted the shock bushing washer. The Van was only lifted about 2 1/2", if you crank to 3" the same can happen if you don't lower the bumpstop and the bump is big enough.......... Just buy the right shocks and stay away from spacers.................

Just like every set of Bilsteins I have used, the front now rides and handles even better than before. The stiffer valving is not harsh at all with great control on washboard bumps even cornering. The Van has had rear 4600 Bilsteins #24-221948 since the lift and they work great together.

While testing the shocks in some mud, I found that slinging mud with both axles using the gas pedal is possible even with the unwanted stepchild of a transfer-case.....

We don't have much interior space but we have alot more outside space now, it is 10x15 and will clear the Van doors when set up tight to the Van........

Attachments

• Canopy n Van.jpg
    Canopy n Van.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

86cj

Explorer
Update on the AWD GMC

Van at NH camp.jpg

The Van has evolved a bit into more of a 2 seat camper without plumbing, heating or cooking, “wife calls it a rolling dorm room, Almost complete with a west marine beanbag chair”….I like the SteelTent coined by another AWD1500 owner here....

I use the storage cabinet more than the rear bench but can swap them and keep the bedside cabinet and fridge with the bench seat. The Van has been completely trouble free for 30,000 miles, it will get 15 MPG almost no matter what you do and will get 18MPG on it's best day. Which is fine for me considering the lift, bigger all-terrain tires, roof rack and extra weight, the 31 gallon tank makes fuel worries a non- issue. The road manners are great on the 2 lane mountain roads, this does not drive like a RV of any kind but meets a lot of those needs. The AWD 1500 Van has been able to get over thousands of miles of seasonal and OHV roads with only 3” lift, 32” tires and no low range. While providing us amazing camping and fishing experiences far from any other campers, reminding one of the natural food chain and desiring more than a piece of nylon tent as protection when slumbering......

The hot weather camping went OK even without a soon to be installed roof fan, we are up late that time of year and things do cool off a bit by then, especially with the help of two new O2 Cool fans. The roof rack actually helps keep the inside cool and mostly hauls locally approved fire wood "Important", while providing area lighting. We see temps near or below freezing in the late fall mountains but have not felt the need for a furnace running while in a very warm bed, (so far). I don't see any real changes to the lay out it works well, I have access to almost everything standing on the ground. We keep a bed, clothes closet, and porta-potty loaded and ready inside. The 10x15 pop up canopy we carry now allows an awning along the side of the Van or on another portion of the site, great for warmth of a fire.........

Van front NH.jpg

I addressed the front lighting this season by upgrading the low beams to some HIR2 9012's on a tip from Candlepower forums, the best low beams I have had so far!. The Van also got some new Hella 4000x LED driving lights and a Go Rhino brush guard to mount them and the Micro DE fogs on.......http://www.summitracing.com/parts/grh-3155mb/overview/year/2010/make/chevrolet/model/express-1500

The LED lights do reach out passed the low beams for a look at the Deer and Moose on the shoulder but have a focused LED light pattern that is a different than most LED lights....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-012206021?seid=srese1&gclid=CODn88zwuMgCFQiNaQodRtABGg

The single note horn was almost dangerous on the freeway and got replaced with a marine electric dual trumpet that sounds like my Dads old Buick only better.....http://www.marinco.com/en/10029xlp

I am gathering parts for adding a pop out window on the 40 side door from a 2005 GM Van, they quit offering it on later models. I also want to add a front receiver hitch for a portable winch and skid plates in the future. I am going to look at some Z-71 front bumpstops to see if they are better and will retrofit or maybee some front Timbrens if they don't harsh up the cushy ride I have now, anybody use Timbren's before?....

The best advice I could offer would be to camp in your van before the build out with a basic and modular layout and let evolution dictate where some items go. During usage you will find that some things people build around are not used that much and some little things are used a lot. Climbing into and out of van a lot will make you desire younger knees or a RV too big or heavy to fit in the backcountry…..

Favorite things that work: MSR Dromedary bag 10L......http://www.rei.com/product/733948/msr-dromedary-bag-10-liter This bag holds enough water to be a real help, it's strong enough to hang while driving, with the shower kit it offers an amazing water flow and pattern with super easy control and little waste. The bag can be filled in a small sink or huge water line and can even handle warm water from the stove...http://www.rei.com/product/849791/msr-dromedary-bag-shower-kit
They are super tough I have had 2 for almost 10 years, Vans are so tall gravity is easy to use for instant water at the side door or remote camp kitchen no pumps or plumbing............even fights fire pretty well:campfire:

Things I am glad I did not do: Add access doors under my mattress, blankets and pillows can fight back...

Things I still ponder: give up some storage under bed and lower it, we can sit up and sleep great so why........

Things that changed my plans: using the little palm size LED's with a magnet and light on 2 sides, they stopped me from running more wires for 12v LED's around the Van. Those things batteries last forever, work in the cold and can't drain your battery......http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-portable-worklightflashlight-62532.html

Honorable mention: My Cabelas camo LED lantern w/ remote, not super bright but mostly good enough and very reliable, great range for entering dark camp on foot and viewing critters in camp from bed.http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-seclusion-3d-174-24-led-lantern-with-remote/745214.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D744939&categoryIds=104798880|104742180|104428080| This new one has more LED's ...........

Attachments

• Van ADKs.jpg
    Van ADKs.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 192
  • ADK Campsite.jpg
    ADK Campsite.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 154
  • ADK Color.jpg
    ADK Color.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Accrete

Explorer
...The AWD 1500 Van has been able to get over thousands of miles of seasonal and OHV roads with only 3” lift, 32” tires and no low range, while providing amazing camping...

Totally agree all that is possible with these AWD vans as it is our experience also.

this one was before the 3" lift and larger tires were on! Many many miles off the pavement.
TGL_2010-07PaintedHillsOR.jpg

Hey, did you ever add the transmission cooler from the 3/4-1 ton van? I'm considering... pretty warm on mountain passes and forest (desert) roads in the summer. OM bolt-in option would be great.

fire_strom

Adventurer
Hey All:
Anyone know the dimensions of the rear u-bolts on these? I am doing the 22-907 springs for a lift and would like to order the u-bolts at the same time. I'm thinking I could order the stock size plus 2" longer. That should cover the increased spring pack thickness. Am I on the right path here?
Thanks,
-G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94