GM Passenger Van Camper Conversion Q&A

Jmacn

awesome high top, we're jealous. I like the two tone paint job as well.
Thanks! Its hard to tell in that picture, but its actually 3 tone. the lower band is charcoal, then a color match forrest green stripe, then mostly sandy/khaki with a forrest green pinstripe. Its fun having a super unique van. These older GM vans look way less creepy when they're not white.

45Kevin

Adventurer
Regarding MPG.

I am thinking that a belly pan under the engine may produce an increase in mileage.
I have heard from others that even the lower valance that is on front bumpers contributes a couple of MPG.

tims5377

We are gonna need WAY more pictures of this thing.

Did you do anything for suspension work? What size tires did you wind up with?

Jmacn

Sorry for the delayed response. I haven't gotten around to suspension work yet. I intentionally kicked the can on that project to put a lot of miles on and take different kinds of trips to see what my needs are. I'm almost at 40k on the odometer so I'm just now starting to think about the best options. I would love 2-3" of lift, but I also really like the way the van handles already. For tires I went w BFG KO2 235/85. My interior project list is steadily shrinking. I still need to button up some trim work here and there (football shaped vans are fun!). My next projects are exterior toy storage, and solar panel install. I want a little rack on the roof in the rear where the A/C unit is designed to fit. I've also been dreaming of a rear platform for bikes/kayaks. Lots of ideas swirling around there. I still haven't sourced a decent swivel seat base for the front passenger. I had one ordered from Road Trek but it never got fulfilled, apparently they've closed their doors:(

Jmacn

All electric kitchenette. 2000W inverter is connected to the wall outlet. My bed platform is on 500lb drawer slides. Its nice to have a cushioned loft space when the bed is stored, and at night the bed pulls out which covers the bench seat. I have 350lb cleats that support the ends of the bed platform on each side. I used prusik cord that laces through eye bolts on the platform then back up to the cleats. The math sounds overkill but its sturdy and I don't think I'm abusing the drawer slides which definitely couldn't handle 500lbs fully extended. The window coverings are fabric, black on the outside. They have thinsulate and magnets sewn in. I plan to do a little more work on those to make the fit a little better. I can fold them in half in place, or pull them off and store them in the loft.

Attachments

• IMG_8412.jpg
    IMG_8412.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 68

Jmacn

I put thinsulate in the loft before I installed the drawer box. Its a great space to store bedding, and the twin 4' boxes are tons of storage! I love the cab over design of the Super Camper!! So far I've held off on fully insulating the fiberglass topper. When Fiberine installed the camper they painted the inside too. I didn't request they do that (apparently the next customer did & the order was confused) but white on the inside is really nice to keep the space nice and bright. I also want to get all the holes that will need to be drilled (rack, solar, awning) taken care of. The Webasto heater makes easy work of my lack of insulation. I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll be living with some very noticeable insulation shortcomings (lots of glass and bare metal here and there) and that isn't that big of a deal. We had single digit temps this winter and were very warm and toasty. Currently the only snow that can accumulate on the van is around the loft. Having a van that never freezes is pretty dam amazing! Many of my ideas for what I think I need have shifted throughout the process.

Attachments

• IMG_9033.jpg
    IMG_9033.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7848.jpg
    IMG_7848.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75

Scotty D

Love the that top and have thought about getting one for my rig.
How do you plan on getting your kayak on and off of that thing?
What kind of racks for your solar and such?

Jmacn

I'm planning on a thin flexible panel w VHB tape. For the roof rack I'm thinking of something small in the very rear accessible with the ladder.

Jmacn

Ok, jumping back into another project planning phase. This summer was all about using the heck out of the van, the only progress was gaining a few inches from upgraded leaf springs and powder coating the factory wheels charcoal. They were a little rusty and look much better now. Let's talk AWNINGS!! I really want one with a removable bug screen for trips to Canada and AK. The most practical looking I've seen is from ARB. Any opinions or other awnings I should consider? I imagine I might need to get creative bolting any awning onto this fiberglass topper. I'd love to come up with a way to remove and store the awning when not needed (like all winter long). Crazy talk? Has anyone come up hardware for a removable awning system?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior