GM mirror fix

86scotty

Cynic
I've always been unhappy with the stock GM van mirrors. They are simply lousy IMO. They are unsafe. I've had a few personal GM vans with these mirrors and also driven lots of work vans over the years with them. The newer ones with the lower blind spot 'sliver' are even worse than the old single glass ones IMO. I couldn't stand it anymore. Below are the ones I mean. I put the big blind spot mirror on them last trip because I couldn't see to drive the van.

Untitled by K A, on Flickr

The problem with a fix for these mirrors is that any towing/long arm models are made for cutaway/Class C's and are too big. Also, they are expensive, so the idea of butchering them was one I wasn't thrilled about.

There is another model available but the arm is shaped in a way where my mod idea of shortening the arms looked more difficult. Also, they are more expensive than what I got. Thirdly, they have lousy reviews. Here they are for comparison:

Since I planned to shorten the arms I went with the Velvac clones with a smooth arm:

These have about a 9" arm, way too wide for regular vans. total length of mirrors is well over 12" with these. You can swap the heads since they are offset which will bring each side in an inch or two but it's not nearly enough IMO, especially on a van which might see some miles off road. I was really pleased to see when I got them that the arms are a smooth piece of aluminum extrusion with set screws holding the base, arm and head together, painted over with a textured paint. They came apart pretty easily by removing the set screws, mounting in a vice with wood blocks and knocking them apart with a rubber mallet.

End piece (that holds mirror head) removed:

Mirrors by K A, on Flickr

Arm after my first cut, 4" removed:

You can remove how much ever you want but these mirrors have one indent perpendicular to the van body. In other words, for the arm so lock solidly into place you need them straight out, not angled forward or back, so 4" was the magic number for me to get the mirror head out far enough to have full view of the glass in the passenger mirror. Any shorter arm and the door above the window would obscure part of the mirror and you wouldn't get as much of a benefit of having these awesomely huge mirrors. This mod might look a little weird on a stock GM van but if you are 4wd/lifted and have oversize tires, bumpers, etc. it looks fine. I'll try to get some better pics up.

Also, this mod pertains to non power/non heated mirrors. If you have any of that it's still doable I'm sure with some added wiring and a whole lot more money.

Untitled by K A, on Flickr

marret

Nice work Eric.

Funny how we are all different, while the mirrors aren’t my favorite I am not yet near the can’t stand them point. ?

I did put an additional round convex blind spot mirror on the passenger side.

whith

Love it, a simple yet effective approach to a problem that I agree, is there. I long for a tow mirror similar to what is available on the Fords and most any truck that can slide in and out. I keep looking at the Velvac power mirror option but they just stick out too far for something stuck in on place.

Scotty D

GM trucks used to have normal looking mirrors much like ours but that would pull out when you had to tow something.
Are there none like this for our vans? Can the ones for GM trucks be modified to fit?

whith

I wish that was an option....sadly I've looked and looked and it doesn't appear to be. The angle of the mounting point is pretty different than the trucks so they'd be angled down I think as well as the bolt patterns being different.

Scotty D

I wish that was an option....sadly I've looked and looked and it doesn't appear to be. The angle of the mounting point is pretty different than the trucks so they'd be angled down I think as well as the bolt patterns being different.
I wonder how hard it would be to make an adapter plate. Those truck mirrors are pretty nice.

whith

Dunno but I'd be totally on board. Weldtec is asking for ideas of projects for their SEMA van and I asked for them to look into it. Maybe chime in there and second the suggestion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94