GM G80 locker axle transplant on Sprinter along with 4x4 conversion

As far as your project goes, you sound like a smart guy, and you've gotten some good input from Len.Baron too.

The 9.5 is,as has already been pointed out, kind of an "orphan" axle, but it does meet your needs.

Like Len.Baron, I am not a big fan of the gov-lock. I'd trade your G80 axle for an open one, and use a drop-in ratcheting differential like Len said.

Either way, I wish you well... :)

I am approaching this as try and see. My own 4 wheeling has never been that extreme. We've had at least 6 4x4 vehicles, none with locker, and never got stuck, so while an ARB sounds really cool, it is not necessarily needed. Of course YMMV. And, there is an ARB that fits if I so desire. Jluth installed on on his in his Sprinter 4WD conversion thread. I would do that rather than a lunchbox.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Never, ever, ever trust drive through clearance signs...

There's a reason the radio antenna on the front-right corner of my van is the tallest element by a few inches.... and visible from the driver's position.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
There's a reason the radio antenna on the front-right corner of my van is the tallest element by a few inches.... and visible from the driver's position.

I have been mulling the idea of a clearance camera on the top of my van...

Some progress. I ran into problems aligning things and drilling into the axle flanges. The axle metal is hardened, and I don;t have good drill bits for this application. Also broke a tap inside a drilled hole.

So plan B, rather than bolting all together, I turned a wood spacer on my lathe to be sure everything is concentric, and welded all together. The problem with this is that if I ever need to replace a lug bolt, I'll have to grind through 4 welds to remove the tone ring assembly. In retrospect it would have been good to cut clearance holes like on the spacer (post #42 above) but larger diameter in order for the lug bolts to have an opening to be removed. Live and learn when prototyping.

Clamped with spacer ready to weld.

axleassmbly-1.jpg

fully assembled, being painted:

axleassmbly-2.jpg

Last edited:

Len.Barron

Observer
Obviously not applicable to the OP, but if anyone else is going to attempt this particular mod, certain years of GM 2500 vans with active brake control have a 9.5 rear axle with 55 tooth tone wheels and inductive pick ups. Need to be careful though as some of them are dana super 70? which have no aftermarket differential options.

The Dana in those vans is truly an orphan axle though. The 9.5 at least has diff options and aftermarket shafts.
it's the kind of thing many find out the hard way..

devo 1

Adventurer
Good luck, MH. I know what you're going through, I've been in the leukemia fight for almost 3 years. I'm glad I finished my van and adventure trailer before I got sick.
Devo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94