GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Dstudda13

To all,

I have a 2009 Chevy Express AWD 1500. The rack and pinion needs to be replaced. Any ideas if there are any compatible aftermarket upgrades? If not, would anyone know of a solid P&P replacement brand I should go with? I do some off roading, but nothing crazy. Thanks!

Pabloaguas

Also want to chime in with a steering question:

Are there currently any upgrade options for tie rods? I see many burly ones offered for Chevy trucks but it seems they don’t fit the van? Maybe I should just go for Moog OEM style ones with Moog sleeves?

Pabloaguas

Their website is not clear what vehicle it fits… but it’s sold with a center link and pitman arm so it sounds like it’s not for rack-and-pinion. Also says for Quigley conversions. $649.

Going to try some various sleeves from Amazon over Moog tie rods I’ll let you know how it goes…

drsmonkey

Observer
Finally got the 1" body lift on. Im also running 3" traxda lift, 3/4 ton suburban leafs, Bilsteins, and 285/70/17 BFG

kntr,

That looks really good. I have been contemplating 285's with a 1" body lift when my current tires need to be replaced. What offset are your wheels and how much clearance does your slider have? Any clearance issues up front when the suspension is flexed?

kntr

Observer
kntr,

That looks really good. I have been contemplating 285's with a 1" body lift when my current tires need to be replaced. What offset are your wheels and how much clearance does your slider have? Any clearance issues up front when the suspension is flexed?

Offset is 25mm and still have 1/2"-1" clearance on door. Ive never rubbed.

86scotty

Cynic
Question for you express folk. A couple years back I "graduated" from an AWD Astro to an AWD Express (to which I added a Fiberene high top).

One thing I really miss about the Astro is the "hatch" that gives some sun and weather protection at the rear doors.

So, naturally I think about a rear awning on the express. However, with the high top, the mounting options get a bit wonky (the roof AND the rear is curved, naturally) and I'm at a creative loss as to how I might mount an awning that doesn't just allow water from the roof to drain into the open back doors. I know there isn't an easy solution, so I thought I might ask the crew and see if the collective mind has been more creative than mine. You usually are! :giggle: Thanks in advance

The best I can come up with is to add some exterior drain channels that might move the bulk of the water to the sides. but I still see a lot of "holes" in that idea. Clearly the problem is exacerbated by the addition of the high top, There isn't likely as much water draining into the open doors on a stock van.

Howbout one of the newer 270 style awnings? Some of them are affordable (IMO) but some are pretty expensive. Lots of coverage though.

Fc3434

Thieves made off with my driver side catalytic converter this week. Of course Chevy made the entire Y pipe and both cats one piece. Expensive repair

Pabloaguas

Just got the ‘Burban leaf springs on and they raised it a whopping 4” on my empty van!

So- what should I do up front? I have the Maxxcam keys ready to go. I’ll put them in the highest setting (2.5”) and crank the key bolts up but really I need to know how far I can go? Thinking of going up to 3.5” but wondering if the front end can handle it? Wondering if the axles and brake lines are long enough and if it’s safe to go up to 3.5” or 4” for cv joints and such. Also replacing all four control arms at the same time with Moogs so I’m pretty sure the ball joints will be ok. Shocks will be Sjacker h7003 they are plenty long.

Willsfree

I'll be adding the burb springs and Maxxcam keys too. Please post part numbers for the shocks and control arms. Did the Moogs come with limiting straps? The Cognito arms are on my list. Picking up a motorcycle carrier this weekend and need to gain a couple of inches of lift.

Pabloaguas

Skyjacker Front Shock part number is above. Not sure I am happy with the Skyjackers. They don't even have enough dampening. Front boating up and down on big bumps on freeway.

The control arms are the Moog ones from Summit online . Just put in your vehicle info and it will tell you which ones fit. They are only $325 for all four.
With the Moog or OEM I don’t believe you need limiting straps… only need straps with tubular control arms. The Moogs are solid and look very strong.

Be sure to upgrade your tie rod ends x4 or use the rough country sleeves to protect your factory ones.

In retrospect I don’t feel that I needed to spend the extra $230 on the maxxcam keys. I could have got some $80 3” keys and set and forget. Instead I’m doing set and forget with $230 adjustable keys.

Last edited:

Pabloaguas

Well, here it is... Burb springs from KC and Maxx keys maxed out. Went up 4" in rear and 3.5"
up front. Rear was 1/2" higher to begin so now its 1" higher. I guess I'll have to put some bricks in the back until those springs settle out...

Attachments

• gy1b%Er+SlyMgnLQUkqO9g.jpg
    gy1b%Er+SlyMgnLQUkqO9g.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 108

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles