GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Anyone order a replacement 4l60E transmission from a reputable online source? I wouldn't trust any of our local shops here to even rotate my tires, let alone work on something important. So my only choice is to order and have it installed or go to the stealership and pay too much. Any recommendations would be awesome.
Also interested to here opinions on this

I just did the Rough Country lift on my 2009 Savana AWD. I used NAPA gas shocks off a 2500 van for the back end. They are a couple of inches longer than a 1500 van shock, and bolt right in. The part number is NS 76763. I have plenty of room for my 285/70R17 Coopers on factory GMC alloys..

I have a 2014 AWD Express.
Can anyone help confirm that this is an applicable rough country kit?
Does anyone know the general lift amount that these give the van?
I honestly don't see how they label it as a 1.5-2.5 leveling kit and then use a 3" block in the rear.
Are there any other kits out there using a 2" block with a similar height leveling kit?

I was considering the journeys off-road or boulder off-road kits but their prices can't be justified.
journeys at $269. Rough country at $209 with 4 shocks. Even if I buy a 2" block for the rear I still save 30 bucks. And both kits would require purchasing a different rear shock.

This thread is helpful and have read through it. But, what the consensus after 48 pages? I'm hoping someone has internalized it better then i have.
My end goal is 2" in the rear and level the front (so, 2.5-3")

Thanks

Also, to contribute a little.
I have a Lycksele Lovas futon in my van. Regularly sold used for 50 bucks.
It sits on 2x3 rails 13" above my floor. which fits 17gallon bins underneath. I still have the headliner and my floor is built above the seat rails so I can toss in the front seat when needed. Me, at 6'2, and 6'7 friend can both sit while in couch mode with a little head room. It's the perfect van folding bed. Me, my friend, both our wives, and 2 medium/large dogs can all hang out comfortably inside when in couch mode, the girls get the couch. And when the wine is gone we are in bed mode in seconds.

drsmonkey

Observer
Also interested to here opinions on this
Anyone order a replacement 4l60E transmission from a reputable online source? I wouldn't trust any of our local shops here to even rotate my tires, let alone work on something important. So my only choice is to order and have it installed or go to the stealership and pay too much. Any recommendations would be awesome.

I've got a fleet mechanic with a couple decades worth of experience working on trucks and vans. When I ask that question his reply is that there is no good option, but that he has seen the least number of returns on replacement transmissions when they are sourced from the dealer.

When I point out the known weaknesses in the 4l60e and what other builders do to address them he says it all depends more on which tech did the rebuild and how much they drank the night before than what company it is, and that he is just reporting his experience.

Scotty D

I have a 2014 AWD Express.
Can anyone help confirm that this is an applicable rough country kit?
Does anyone know the general lift amount that these give the van?
I honestly don't see how they label it as a 1.5-2.5 leveling kit and then use a 3" block in the rear.
Are there any other kits out there using a 2" block with a similar height leveling kit?

I was considering the journeys off-road or boulder off-road kits but their prices can't be justified.
journeys at $269. Rough country at $209 with 4 shocks. Even if I buy a 2" block for the rear I still save 30 bucks. And both kits would require purchasing a different rear shock.

This thread is helpful and have read through it. But, what the consensus after 48 pages? I'm hoping someone has internalized it better then i have.
My end goal is 2" in the rear and level the front (so, 2.5-3")

Thanks

Also, to contribute a little.
I have a Lycksele Lovas futon in my van. Regularly sold used for 50 bucks.
It sits on 2x3 rails 13" above my floor. which fits 17gallon bins underneath. I still have the headliner and my floor is built above the seat rails so I can toss in the front seat when needed. Me, at 6'2, and 6'7 friend can both sit while in couch mode with a little head room. It's the perfect van folding bed. Me, my friend, both our wives, and 2 medium/large dogs can all hang out comfortably inside when in couch mode, the girls get the couch. And when the wine is gone we are in bed mode in seconds.

I could not find where it accepted an express van on the link you provided. If they had one that fit our vans , surely it would show up in the pop down menu right?

I did this one from amazon but be warned the price fluctuates wildly , I think I paid 150 a few years ago but the price would swing back and forth over 100 dollars week to week.

I could not find where it accepted an express van on the link you provided. If they had one that fit our vans , surely it would show up in the pop down menu right?

I did this one from amazon but be warned the price fluctuates wildly , I think I paid 150 a few years ago but the price would swing back and forth over 100 dollars week to week.

This info is found in post #3. I totally lost my head after 48 pages.
Any gmc lift for a 99-06 works on these vans.

With that said. I am interesting still in the real world lift amounts.

The RC kit comes with a 3 in block. Which means with normal truck rake, if you put the block in the back. You would need to get more then 3" of lift out of the key to level it.
I want around 2" so I plan to either order a 2" block separate or call RC and ask them to swap out the 3" block for a 2".

My worry is they might be accounting for this obvious issue. Resulting in the key at its lowest amount being more lift then I want.

Here's my thoughts mathematically.
Rear wheel well is at 36, front 35.
So lets say, Rear 0 front -1.
Add 3" block in rear. Rear = 3 front -1.
Then you need to level it out. Front needs +4.
The key, and the whole kit, is sold as +1.5-2.5.
So how the hell is that working unless the key itself is 1.5-2.5 over level which is really 2.5-3.5 over stock?

Teacher88

Have you tried cranking your stock keys yet? I think I got something like 2_3/8" out of my stock keys. The prices for those kits are highway robbery in my opinion. I put my money towards bilstein shocks and brand new surburan leaf packs on the rear. Could not be happier

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
My results from the RC kit here

I wouldn't do it again. At this point the only remaining part of that kit on the van are the lift keys. I would suggest buying whatever keys you can find cheap, bilstein shocks and a heavier spring pack in the rear. YMMV

NWExpress

Finally wrapped up the "2.0" mods to my 2012 Express and here's what I've found works best for the front end: MaxxCam2 keys (2nd to highest setting - B3 I think? already forgot), Skyjacker shocks, Cognito UCA's for 99-06 1500 trucks (SKU 110-90289, w/ limit straps, non-uniball). The limit straps require some fab welding for an upper mounting bracket and lower shear tab. My local 4WP shop was able to do the strap mounts & install for me no problem, and warrantied the work.

I need to do some minor trimming to the inner mud fender as that's the only rubbing issue and it's very minor. Besides the fender rub it easily clears 285/70r17 tires and no alignment/camber issues thanks to the Cognito UCA's.I don't have my original OEM stance dims but I'm about 1.5" taller (eyeball dim) than my previous Traxda kit.

82AD9CC3-444F-4BF2-94E8-EA358BBFD67B_1_201_a.jpeg

The Rebel Express

Hello. I’m sorry I cant help you, but maybe you can help me, I hope. I have my transmission pan bolts out and almost completely drained but I cant get the on down because of the muffler. Do I have to take the muffler off??

Fc3434

Hello. I’m sorry I cant help you, but maybe you can help me, I hope. I have my transmission pan bolts out and almost completely drained but I cant get the on down because of the muffler. Do I have to take the muffler off??
You either have to take off the Y-pipe or loosen the transmission mounting bolts, put a jack under the rear of the transmission and lift it slowly until the pan clears. I did the second one as my exhaust bolts wouldn’t budge.

The Rebel Express

You either have to take off the Y-pipe or loosen the transmission mounting bolts, put a jack under the rear of the transmission and lift it slowly until the pan clears. I did the second one as my exhaust bolts wouldn’t budge.
You’re absolutely right that those exhaust pipes wont budge, not even a little.
I’m just going to do it without getting the pan off. I took the filter out, used a pump to get all the fluid out the pan, and cleaned the magnet. Tomorrow I’m gonna get the gasket off somehow, clean it all up, and slide the new one on and get this job done! It can definitely be done (probably has been), and tomorrow it I’m going to do it!
Lifting the transmission is clever. I salute you for that. Just another thing I’m too scared to do
Peace

The Rebel Express

You’re absolutely right that those exhaust pipes wont budge, not even a little.
I’m just going to do it without getting the pan off. I took the filter out, used a pump to get all the fluid out the pan, and cleaned the magnet. Tomorrow I’m gonna get the gasket off somehow, clean it all up, and slide the new one on and get this job done! It can definitely be done (probably has been), and tomorrow it I’m going to do it!
Lifting the transmission is clever. I salute you for that. Just another thing I’m too scared to do
Peace
42C583A5-3769-4698-AAA3-CE211F810F23.jpegIt’s happening. Gasket isn’t coming off easy, but it’s getting done

Fc3434

Anybody replaced the output seal on the transfer case on the 2010+? I believe this is the BW 4481 not the 4473. On my 4Runner the instructions had you pull the entire case and split it, but this seal looks like it might be a super easy job.

drsmonkey

Observer
Anybody replaced the output seal on the transfer case on the 2010+? I believe this is the BW 4481 not the 4473. On my 4Runner the instructions had you pull the entire case and split it, but this seal looks like it might be a super easy job.

I'm 90% sure that all AWD Express Vans have the BW4473, the 4481 was only on the Escalade/Denali for a few years. Double check the build tag before you order parts, though it could be the same seal on both. I'm going to rebuild mine in the next week or two and can report back then. Just looking at it and guessing I'd say maybe the front output shaft seal could be done without splitting, rear maybe not. Check your pinyon yoke and ujoints carefully when you do the seal. Any driveline vibrations will cause the new seal to leak again sooner than later.

kntr

Observer
Finally wrapped up the "2.0" mods to my 2012 Express and here's what I've found works best for the front end: MaxxCam2 keys (2nd to highest setting - B3 I think? already forgot), Skyjacker shocks, Cognito UCA's for 99-06 1500 trucks (SKU 110-90289, w/ limit straps, non-uniball). The limit straps require some fab welding for an upper mounting bracket and lower shear tab. My local 4WP shop was able to do the strap mounts & install for me no problem, and warrantied the work.

I need to do some minor trimming to the inner mud fender as that's the only rubbing issue and it's very minor. Besides the fender rub it easily clears 285/70r17 tires and no alignment/camber issues thanks to the Cognito UCA's.I don't have my original OEM stance dims but I'm about 1.5" taller (eyeball dim) than my previous Traxda kit.

How does it handle as compared to before? I love my lifted AWD Express but it rides a little rough with the Traxxda keys turned up and 3/4 ton suburban leafs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles