GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Teacher88

I bought mine brand new because of your same line of thinking. Ended up being the most expensive part of the lift but at least I know I won't have to do it again. Also ened up being the hardest part......man It took for ever to remove the old ones

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Anybody try the rear lift with Express 2500 leafs? Having a hard time justifying pulling old 1999 springs from the Suburban 2500 and putting them on a 2013. My local junkyard has a bunch of 2500s though that would have good springs and good bushings
Springs are something I wouldn't waste my time with scrounging up used. When you buy new you know exactly what you are getting.

I bought mine from general spring. Actually I believe I have bought several pairs of leave springs from them over the years.

Edit to add
I just checked the spring dimensions and it looks like the suburban springs and express springs are the same length and width. Springs are springs and it doesn't matter what application they are tagged for as long as the dimensions and spring rate are correct. You would just need to do the homework and make sure everything jives

Edit Edit
The "Suburban" springs some of us have used are 2900# 6 leaf and 3 7/16" thick
Listed on the general spring website for the Express are also 4,5,9 and 10 leaf springs with the heaviest being 4600# so be aware that while "Express" springs from a donor will probably fit they may not be what you are looking for without knowing the spring rate.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
2nd on just buying new springs. Unless the used ones are known to be low miles and not abused with heavy loads, why take the chance for a small $$ savings?

stevets

It's been some time since I visited this thread and just thought I'd check in.
I freaking love my van! In fact I have a hard imagining a more useful, comfortable , capable rig to do things I want to do. Cruise 80 all day and then bump out to a remote campsite and live outside for a while.
I found all the info to do the lift and get the proper tires and shocks here, have no regrets and am still grateful for the guys who did the early research on what works with the Express.
Here's a pic from a trip to Utah earlier this year.

Fc3434

Searched and didn’t see anything.

I’m lifting the front of my van 2.5” which will impact the caster settings on alignment. I do a lot of long highway trips and having a high caster angle helps a ton for drive ability.
Has anybody tried the Moog UCAs? Part is RK-621782. Says it increases caster up to 3 degrees, which would be Perfect.

Everybody else seems like they use tubular arms that are more expensive and might need extra stuff like limiting straps for downward travel

rpfeifer303

It's been some time since I visited this thread and just thought I'd check in.
I freaking love my van! In fact I have a hard imagining a more useful, comfortable , capable rig to do things I want to do. Cruise 80 all day and then bump out to a remote campsite and live outside for a while.
I found all the info to do the lift and get the proper tires and shocks here, have no regrets and am still grateful for the guys who did the early research on what works with the Express.
Here's a pic from a trip to Utah earlier this year.
your picture didnt come through :(

Fc3434

Ok, here is what I discovered about buying torsion keys on Amazon; torsion keys are not created equal.
Here is a quick little comparison between some keys. Here are the contenders:

1. KSP $37 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VWN1QLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2. MotoFab $40 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4LOPMF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. Shankly $25 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T86FGRQ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried the Shankly next and got 3.25" lift over stock (adjustment bolt in same position for both).

FYI folks, for my 2013 AWD, I got the MotoFabs and they were the same exact index as my stock ones (no lift at all) and the Shankly are not sold on Amazon anymore. I ended up just cranking the stock keys and got about 1"

Might just leave it as is, the droop stop is getting close to the control arm and it doesn't look egregiously back-high after my 2" spacer lift back there.

ETA: I wasn’t happy with the stinkbug look rear end high so I ordered these and they’re the correct index for a lift.

Forged Steel Torsion Bar Keys - 1-3 inch Adjustable Lift - Compatible with 99-06 GMC Chevy Trucks Avalanche Silverado Tahoe Sierra Yukon 4x4 4WD (See Listing for Exact Year Model) Leveling Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A9LH28C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_Q6bTFb1TR9E45?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

TheEL

Observer
Looking to replace my shock absorbers for my 2007 chevy express 1500 awd. I have the traxda 3" kit (torsion keys and blocks) and just wanted to double check what has worked for everyone here.

Currently looking at:

Bilstein (24-186643) 5100 and Bilstein 24-185615 B8 5100.

Cant say I'm too knowledgeable about valving or shocks at all for that matter. Just want to know what will be safe and have a nice ride. Currently with the stock absorbers its pretty smooth. Had the van for about 5 years now and no complaints about how it handles. Baja roads could always be smoother but still not bad and on the highway Ive had friends comment on how smooth they thought it was. Its built out in the back so it carries some weight. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Scotty D

I have one season in baja on the first ones you listed.
Love them and they made a huge difference for me but my OEM shocks were completely blown out when I replaced them so it was going from no shocks to the bilsteins

Joemg1982

Hi everyone, bout to pull the trigger on 2009 express 1500 awd wheelchair accessible van. Doing research I have come across bad things regarding the AFM feature in the GM 5.3L engine. I might have missed but have not notice any post regarding this. Range Technologies said their afm disabler would not work cause coding for the express was not put in it...smh. So does anyone know of a AFM disabler or tuner to eliminate the AFM feature without having to have any mechanical work done for these vans. Thanks and great thread by the way.

Joemg1982

Might have found the answer on wikipedia. Its says the 5.3 used in these vans is a 5.3 L vortec rpo code is LFM which does not use the automatic fuel management system. Probably why i haven't seen anything on these posts, hopefully someone can confirm. Thanks

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Might have found the answer on wikipedia. Its says the 5.3 used in these vans is a 5.3 L vortec rpo code is LFM which does not use the automatic fuel management system. Probably why i haven't seen anything on these posts, hopefully someone can confirm. Thanks

I believe that to be correct.
No cylinder management in the vans. I can say with certainty that my 2010 does not have it.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
Anyone order a replacement 4l60E transmission from a reputable online source? I wouldn't trust any of our local shops here to even rotate my tires, let alone work on something important. So my only choice is to order and have it installed or go to the stealership and pay too much. Any recommendations would be awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles