GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

simple

Adventurer
Proud new owner of a 2006 1500AWD Passenger with a partially started conversion.
Van has 2 issues which I am hoping to gather wisdom from here

1- typical white paint peeling on the hood and top of the side doors. What are the option?
-- Professional painting, sounds expensive.
-- spray can primer/paint -- sounds doable but I'm afraid of heavy spots.
-- Vinyl wrap -- unsure on cost.

2- Only mechanical issue is a seeping front differential pinion seal.
-- I am mechanically included but never did this repair. Is there any DYI documentation somewhere?

Any advise, experiences shared would be great.
Thank you!

A white non peeling hood from a pick n pull or someone parting a van could be an inexpensive replacement. Doors as well depending on how bad they are peeling.

45Kevin

Adventurer
Proud new owner of a 2006 1500AWD Passenger with a partially started conversion.
Van has 2 issues which I am hoping to gather wisdom from here

1- typical white paint peeling on the hood and top of the side doors. What are the option?
-- Professional painting, sounds expensive.
-- spray can primer/paint -- sounds doable but I'm afraid of heavy spots.
-- Vinyl wrap -- unsure on cost.

2- Only mechanical issue is a seeping front differential pinion seal.
-- I am mechanically included but never did this repair. Is there any DYI documentation somewhere?

Any advise, experiences shared would be great.
Thank you!

Congrats on the purchase. You will love it.

When I got my van the front pinion seal leaked and I bought a new one.
It's a simple enough install but for what ever reason, i couldn't get it installed correctly and ruined it.
I ended up getting the dealer to do it and it wasn't that expensive IIRC. $150 maybe.

peterbozeman

MPG (miles per gallon) affected by lift?
2007 Express passenger AWD

Stock = 17.7mpg (calculated with 2,000 miles of highway driving) Best tank: 20.2mpg

With 2" lift = 17.8mpg (calculated with 3,000 miles of highway driving) Best tank: 20.3mpg

Surprisingly, it went up.

peterbozeman

Anyone know if someone makes rain guards for the side door windows?

My side door windows flip out from the side to vent. If it rains, the top is just open. I wish they opened from the bottom like my back door windows. It is nice to have some cross ventilation even in the rain.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
MPG (miles per gallon) affected by lift?
2007 Express passenger AWD

Stock = 17.7mpg (calculated with 2,000 miles of highway driving) Best tank: 20.2mpg

With 2" lift = 17.8mpg (calculated with 3,000 miles of highway driving) Best tank: 20.3mpg

Surprisingly, it went up.

Did you also increase tire size when you lifted your van?
My van took I think about a 2mpg hit after being lifted. But I also switched to a larger load range E all terrain tire which I assume had a larger affect on mpg's than just the lift.

More surprising to me was I found very little if any difference after installing the high top

peterbozeman

Did you also increase tire size when you lifted your van?
My van took I think about a 2mpg hit after being lifted. But I also switched to a larger load range E all terrain tire which I assume had a larger affect on mpg's than just the lift.

More surprising to me was I found very little if any difference after installing the high top

No tire change. That is the next step.
This is just lift alone. Which, I think is interesting.

Last edited:
Hi,
Did anyone installed a fan on a 1500 Passenger van AWD? I am wondering if there is a spot in the back where there isn't any cabling/duct for AC etc...

thank you
christian

Last edited:

Teacher88

I am assuming you ment "fan" if is then yes it did. Mine is installed about as far back as you could go. No issues with duct work or wires. Let me know if u want more information or pics

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mobydick 11

Hi I have been looking for one of these vans . One as come up for sale in my area . I have been reading this thread but only made it to page 15 so far ,but I thought I would ask opinions on what I have found . It is a 2010 awd van with 100,000 Kilometers on it ,little over 60,000 miles . I is a high roof and looks to be in mint condition . It is somewhat of a factory conversion van as it is a wheel chair van . Price seems high at $22,000 Canadian ,but it checks all the boxes for me with barn stile side doors . any thoughts ? I priced out a new Transit awd 60 K off the lot and that was pretty basic build .

dleeallen

Adventurer
Prices are really all over the place. That's probably within reason though depending on the conversion equipment. Conversion vans are always a premium price, and the AWD only drives it farther up. That's very low miles and as long as it has been cared for it will run for a long time. The biggest thing to look for is rust I think. The bodies are not well rust proofed from the factory and conversion vans tend to have lots of body cladding (running boards, fender flares, etc..) bolted on that add even more holes and places for salt and dirt to collect. That assumes you are in a part of Canada that uses salt on the roads of course. These vans seem to last just fine in the western or southern US with no salt.

mobydick 11

Prices are really all over the place. That's probably within reason though depending on the conversion equipment. Conversion vans are always a premium price, and the AWD only drives it farther up. That's very low miles and as long as it has been cared for it will run for a long time. The biggest thing to look for is rust I think. The bodies are not well rust proofed from the factory and conversion vans tend to have lots of body cladding (running boards, fender flares, etc..) bolted on that add even more holes and places for salt and dirt to collect. That assumes you are in a part of Canada that uses salt on the roads of course. These vans seem to last just fine in the western or southern US with no salt.
Thanks for the info .Yes I am in the rust belt ,we need to get are vehicles oiled/undercoated at least once a year. The van looks very much like a Roadtrek. A Roadtrek this year and mileage and condition would go for 60 k ,and that's without AWD . I am trying to get some pictures of the inside ,as none were posted .Thanks

mobydick 11

22k canadian is only 16.4k american.
If it passes rust and mechanical inspection, buy it.
Sorry to say this ,but I just heard back from the car dealer . The van was traded in yesterday and sold when they opened this morning . Salesman said the guy was waiting there when they opened .

Mr. Nacho

I assume you tried some sort of penetrate amd/or lube on the hinge pins ? Maybe hinge pins are rusty.
Drill a couple of holes in the hinge and spray with Blaster PB Penetrant that will free up the hinge pins then spray with any lubricant. I fixed many a barn doors this way. You just need to keep them lubed after that...

Snailstrail

Has anyone found a manual that includes the front drive train stuff ( the AWD part)?? My van has a bad seal and it would be nice to have a little guidance to fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94