GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

TheEL

Observer
Been a while since I've posted here. My 2007 awd express is holding up great after about 4 or 5 years of owning it and countless trips down the baja peninsula and up to the sierras. Recently had to replace the upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends. Recently my suspension is super squeaky. Looking for advice on where to start if I was looking to overhaul the suspension. Right now I have the traxda lift kit installed ( 3" Front, 1" Rear torsion keys/blocks) Im pretty happy with how it rides and sits. Should I just need to get new shock absorbers? I still have the stock ones in there. A friend of mine with the same van upgraded his leaf springs but I cant really tell much of a difference handling wise but it definitely sits up a bit higher then mine. Thanks for any input. Pretty green when it comes to suspension systems. Should also note that I went up a size on the wheels to 17".

Scotty D

The baja is hard on suspension parts. I am here camping on the beach an hour south of la paz as I type!
Replace the shocks with the Bilsteins thats everyone recommends ASAP.
That squeaking is very likely coming from your a arm bushings. It would have been better to replace the A arms as complete sets instead of just the ball joints. If you dont mind all the squeaks and your tires are wearing ok you could probably just leave it till about 200k

R1ck

Post #589 for the GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread I don't know about you, but I think we need our own sub forum. These are great vans, hard to figure parts for sometimes but great vans. I did a 250 mile ghost town run in Nevada about a month ago with 10 other rigs. At the start they were looking at me like I was a lead weight, they didn't think I was going to make it. Their tune was different at the end. I have been searching through these post to get some things sorted out, I want to say thank you to everyone for the research you've and all the advice.

IMG_4715.JPG

skypix

My 2004 Savanna AWD hi-top conversion van should go to a new owner.
Now that I am a full time caregiver it sits in the driveway. SE New Hampshire.
Runs great, looks good 85 k miles, $12,500

8 doors, fridge, porta potti, house battery, inverter, induction cooker, bowl sink,

skypix

My 2004 Savanna AWD hi-top conversion van should go to a new owner.
Now that I am a full time caregiver it sits in the driveway. SE New Hampshire.
Runs great, looks good 85 k miles, $12,500

8 doors, fridge, porta potti, house battery, inverter, induction cooker, bowl sink,
Figured out how to attach pixSaVana.jpg

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Below was posted in another thread here on the forum by forum member VWHAMMER who was converting his van to 4WD. The Land Rover LT230 transfer case he specifies might be a good alternative transfer case to consider for those wanting a lockable transfer case with 4WD Lo and AWD the rest of the time for installation in their GM AWD van. I have no idea if it will work however it is certainly something to investigate for those GM AWD van owners looking for true 4WD LO Lockable AWD transfer case:

"I guess I don't know what you are converting and how in depth you were looking to go with the conversion but I chose the AWD/4WD route.
I won't get into my build much because it's complicated and I have not worked on it in a year.
However, there are some options.

Many of the Land Rover Discoveries, as well as several other 4x4s, were and still are, in fact, AWD and can be locked into full on 4x4 mode with low range and all that jazz should the going get rough.
For this reason I chose the Land Rover LT230 transfer case for my build.
It has an aluminum case and is gear driven.

The LT230 also has a 3.32:1 low range and actually has a 1.2:1 high range so you can run a little larger tires and not have to do a gear swap in the axles. As I mentioned, or maybe I didn't but this is a full time AWD transfer case that has a center diff that can be locked for even power split to the front and rear diff (there were a few years that could not be locked so careful selection is key).

I have been preaching about the LT230 for years and many of the hardcore off road guys know how good these case are. It's very likely the only good part (other than the cool Disco shape) of any of the Discoveries that had this case

I primarily wanted AWD so I don't have to get all scared in bad weather but I also wanted to have the option to lock everything up and get after it should the need arise. A full time case with the locking option seemed like the only choice for me.

I would have to look more but I know there are a handful of adapters out there to mate these to several transmissions. With a little fab work, it is also possible to set them up in a divorced arrangement. (this is what I am doing).

In something with the wheelbase of a van this would work fine and actually might simplify the conversion to AWD/4WD because you can run whatever engine and trans combo is already in the van you choose."

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Maybe this should be a new post? I am looking for an assist handle to get in the side door of a 2010 Chevy van. I assume it would be mounted on the post by the front passenger door. Any suggestions.

You may also be able to boost a part from a late-model Astro or Safari van. I've got just such a handle on the B-pillar:
IMG_20190928_114709.jpg

Smooshsh

Still a new member. Had a little help from some of the members on some of the questions i had for my build. Big thanks to you Guys. Here is my 2010 awd express. Journey lift 3" front 2"rear with 5100 bilstein all around. Wheels and tires are 17x8 6x5.5 4" back space -12 offset d windows wrapped in 265 70/17 lt cooper at3 tires. Minor trimming done on the running boards. Loving it so far. Seats 6. All captain chairs. Might ditch the 2 rear captain for a bench for the extra passenger. I have a family of 6 and usually have another family member that goes on our trips with us. Looks like i might have to fabricate something for the rear bench seats since the explorer mounts for 2 seats are separate. Anyone here have any pictures of their rear bench/ bed from their express/savana that has a rear bed? I want to see what i have to modify. Thanks in advance.20200217_135433.jpg

goin camping

Explorer
Still a new member. Had a little help from some of the members on some of the questions i had for my build. Big thanks to you Guys. Here is my 2010 awd express. Journey lift 3" front 2"rear with 5100 bilstein all around. Wheels and tires are 17x8 6x5.5 4" back space -12 offset d windows wrapped in 265 70/17 lt cooper at3 tires. Minor trimming done on the running boards. Loving it so far. Seats 6. All captain chairs. Might ditch the 2 rear captain for a bench for the extra passenger. I have a family of 6 and usually have another family member that goes on our trips with us. Looks like i might have to fabricate something for the rear bench seats since the explorer mounts for 2 seats are separate. Anyone here have any pictures of their rear bench/ bed from their express/savana that has a rear bed? I want to see what i have to modify. Thanks in advance.View attachment 567914

I have a rear bench that folds flat to a bed. It came out of an 03 Express and is a grey. You can have it if you want it. in A 1 pristine condition and it comes with the seat belts. You can have it if you want it. Just come pick it up. North end of the Antelope Valley. Just shoot me a PM. Only modification I can think of is drilling the holes to mount it. I think I still have the bolts, nuts and plates too.

Smooshsh

I have a rear bench that folds flat to a bed. It came out of an 03 Express and is a grey. You can have it if you want it. in A 1 pristine condition and it comes with the seat belts. You can have it if you want it. Just come pick it up. North end of the Antelope Valley. Just shoot me a PM. Only modification I can think of is drilling the holes to mount it. I think I still have the bolts, nuts and plates too.
Thanks. Check your pm.

Talkster

Looking at advice on wheels. I am looking at the Method Race Wheels 701. They are 17 by 8.5" wide with a 0 offset. My local tire shop has concerns they will stick out too much.

Ian.rm

Looking at advice on wheels. I am looking at the Method Race Wheels 701. They are 17 by 8.5" wide with a 0 offset. My local tire shop has concerns they will stick out too much.

I got a set of black rhino wheels, they have some cool wheels in my opinion and seem to be a little cheaper then the methods. I believe the ones I got are -12 for offset and I was able to fit 285s on with minor trimming. The back outside edge of the front wheel definitely is the tightest part as you turn in that wheels direction and the wider you go the farther back it makes that edge so I definitely couldn’t go any wider.

Teacher88

2010 savana 226,000 miles. Starts and runs for 5 seconds then bogs out and dies. Service stabilitrac is on

New throttle body a year ago
New fuel pump last Saturday
New fuel pump control module yesterday

I've jumped fuel pump relay and have power at both sides of relay and fuse

Anyones else have this problem?

Not sure if there is a better place to post this just figured this is a well followed thread of the same vans

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Choff

Adventurer
2010 savana 226,000 miles. Starts and runs for 5 seconds then bogs out and dies. Service stabilitrac is on

New throttle body a year ago
New fuel pump last Saturday
New fuel pump control module yesterday

I've jumped fuel pump relay and have power at both sides of relay and fuse

Anyones else have this problem?

Not sure if there is a better place to post this just figured this is a well followed thread of the same vans

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Have a 2005 AWD GMC with 218,000 miles and have not had this problem, but , sounds like fuel or choke related problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles