GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Accrete

Explorer
Not really about the AWD van, but rather a plug for how well they can weather the years... we recently had the Fiberine fiberglass top on our 2010 Express AWD color matched to the original Chevy white and the rig looks factory fresh at ten years old as I post :)8DB04743-D374-4B11-8E76-AEBA294DCE31.jpeg

M0nkeyb0nes

Please help! Torsion keys frozen in place!

I'm trying to remove the keys from my torsion bars and they are seized in place, this seems to be a very common issue with GM 4x4s. I've watched every video regarding this on youtube. I've tried marinating it in penetrating lube (liquid wrench), big hammers, air hammers, using a little bit of heat on the keys (I know, not supposed to, but I'm at my wits end). I even unbolted the torsion cross member to see if I can slide the bars out of the lower control arms...but of course there isn't enough room to lower the torsion crossmember/mount out of place.

My next step is to unbolt the transmission cross member which might give me just enough room to get both bars out of the control arms and the torsion crossmember/mount out. Any ideas from people who had the same problem?

BTW the bars aren't seized in the control arms so they can move from that end. Also, the van has over 260k hard miles on it.... a Copart sight unseen special! haha

45Kevin

Adventurer
I had the same problem.

I ended up drilling and splitting them.

See my thread for more detail.

M0nkeyb0nes

This is very helpful, Thank You! I had heard of the drilling method, but wanted to see more evidence of it working. I think I'm at the point where I'm going to need to try this out...

M0nkeyb0nes

Also, while it's fresh in my memory. The van I purchased had a main wiring harness and fuel pump control module (2008 and up vans...) that had gone through hell. It appeared as though all 260k miles on this van were on rough/gravel roads in Montana/Idaho so the front left wheel was just launching rocks at the poor harness and FSCM. Too many broken wires to fix to make me feel confident in it, but luckily the whole harness was available online for about $150 bucks!! This harness connected from the main fuse box under the hood, to the TCM, all 4 wheel abs sensors, FSCM, fuel pump and sender, and the ABS module (maybe another connection or two I'm forgetting). So, if you have a harness that looks like ********, you might be able to find a new one online if you cross reference part numbers, call dealer parts counters for confirmations, etc... Lastly, I bought a Dorman FSCM which required no programming at the dealer! It is supposedly an upgraded part from the OEM unit, and I've always had success with Dorman products. Just plugged it in and it worked!

Part number for the chassis harness (2009 passenger only, not cargo as they didn't have stability control yet...) was 25983549. PLEASE NOTE, this harness could be different from other year passenger vans.

Last edited:

Scotty D

Anyone running factory wheels? Im looking at some 2018 Sierra wheels 18x8.5 24mm offset.

In my opinion , 18s are too big for an awd rig that is meant to do some offroad use.
The short sidewall makes for a very stiff ride on washboard roads and you are unable to air down for a larger footprint which increases traction and allows you to float over sandy areas

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
In my opinion , 18s are too big for an awd rig that is meant to do some offroad use.
The short sidewall makes for a very stiff ride on washboard roads and you are unable to air down for a larger footprint which increases traction and allows you to float over sandy areas
Agreed. I'm running 16s on my 4x4 Astro, and I'd run 15s if I could (but my 2003 has the rear discs, so 16 is just about the minimum,)

Choff

Adventurer
On our 2005 AWD Savana , no lift other than air bags in back.
I have gone to 17 inch rims 2005 GMC Denali rims with 265 and just put on Nexen Roadian AT Pro RA8 All-Terrain Tire
No brake issues or clearance problems, been running for 5 years

Last edited:

R1ck

My keys were frozen so I bit the bullet and took it to the alignment shop. They charged me $100 additional, changed the keys leveled her up and all is fine.

R1ck

In the rear simple lift blocks for most any modern 1/2 ton GM product will work.
Or a spring pack from a 1993-1999 3/4 ton suburban can be used. #22-907 they are rated at 2900 pounds vs. the 2200 pound stock springs. The spring pack is 1 7/8" thicker to begin with and adds about 3" of total lift.

I have the torsion key lift in front and a 1" block in back. If I got the 3/4 ton suburban spring pack am I right in thinking the back end would be 2" higher than the front? Also would the Bilstein #24-185615 still work?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online