GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

fire_strom

Adventurer
The 4L60E trans is terrible for towing. I had to put in a new transmission as soon as I got my van because the previous owner towed a 4000 pound trailer on mountain interstates occasionally.
Did you put in the 4L80E 6 speed tranny? That is a bit of a dream of mine. I hate the 4 speed.
-G

Len.Barron

Observer
Did you put in the 4L80E 6 speed tranny? That is a bit of a dream of mine. I hate the 4 speed.
-G
4l80/85e are both 4 speed as well. You need to step up to the 6l80/85/90 to get 6 speed. GM is now making a 4l75e that is a very heavy duty bolt in replacement/upgrade to the 4l60/65e.

fire_strom

Adventurer
Yah, typo, thanks for clarifying. I should have noticed the big 4 in the name. Anyhow for me the heavy dutyness isn’t the issue, it’s the gear spacing. Mountain driving is a lug/over rev ping pong match that is unnecessarily irritating. Even without trailering.
-G

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
That 4l75e looks nice but even re-built I'm seeing price tags of around $4000 and then plan on another $500 to have it installed. Rebuilt 4L80's on the other hand are going for less than $1500. I guess it just depends on how much money you want to throw at it.

Len.Barron

Observer
That 4l75e looks nice but even re-built I'm seeing price tags of around $4000 and then plan on another $500 to have it installed. Rebuilt 4L80's on the other hand are going for less than $1500. I guess it just depends on how much money you want to throw at it.
they run about $3500 shipped from Jegs, I agree it's pricey but for a lot of guys that can't do the mods for the 4l80e (which would include some considerable harness and tuning/tcm work beyond the mounts and driveshaft mods) it would be a pretty attractive option.

akskiffer

FOUND A STEERING LEAK!

I was creepering under the van when...The driver side boot is disconnected and oil is coming out.
what I thought was a steering stabilizer is MY STEERING.

Anyone dealt with this?

JAGI410

I'm starting to consider an AWD Express/Savana. Most of the used ones I'm finding in my price range have over 100k miles. #1 on my list is a 2007 with 167k! It looks spotless, and it's priced over $12,000. It seems like a ridiculous purchase based on those stats. These engines are pretty hard to kill, but what about the rest of the drivetrain? Any major things I should be concerned with?

macexpress

Observer
That does sound high. I bought mine 2 years ago for $12,500, it's a 2013 and had 172,000 miles at the time. Similar miles but it was 8 years newer than the one your looking at

Scotty D

The price is going up on these vans. Not enough made to meet the secondary use market. Everyone wants one for the same reasons you want one.
Engine is pretty bulletproof but the transmission sucks for towing and if you do to much , you will kill it. That is really the only weak link though and its cheap to rebuild.
I have a 2009 with 205k on the clock and I would not turn it loose that cheap. I have been beach camping in mexico all winter and having a blast.
These rigs are worth every penny

JAGI410

There's several 250k mile versions that show up and there's not that much of a discount. Ones below 100k pull a premium. I don't plan on heavy towing at all, but it's good to know the tranny is the weak link.

Hopefully my 84 with 112k miles will pull a premium as well so I can justify spending more on a new one!

45Kevin

Adventurer
Yah, typo, thanks for clarifying. I should have noticed the big 4 in the name. Anyhow for me the heavy dutyness isn’t the issue, it’s the gear spacing. Mountain driving is a lug/over rev ping pong match that is unnecessarily irritating. Even without trailering.
-G

I stepped up to 235/85/16 tires and it seemed to decrease the amount of gear hunting my tranny does.
I haven't towed with the new tire setup yet.

OldYota

Observer
Tirerack.com is saying stock rim size is 17x8.5”. I see in this thread people have said it’s 17x7.5” will I run into trouble if I get an 8.5” wide rim? Tire rack doesn’t list the backspacing numbers.

I’m currently running the 20’s my conversion van came with but I want it to look more truckish.

Vanman65

I'm starting to consider an AWD Express/Savana. Most of the used ones I'm finding in my price range have over 100k miles. #1 on my list is a 2007 with 167k! It looks spotless, and it's priced over $12,000. It seems like a ridiculous purchase based on those stats. These engines are pretty hard to kill, but what about the rest of the drivetrain? Any major things I should be concerned with?
look in vans for sale , just put some posting for awd

MVLSlip

Anyone have experience extending the clearance on their sliding door? I just put new wheels and tires (265/65 17) on my 2012 Savana and didn't realize that they were blocking my sliding door from opening until I got home. Only need a half an inch or so to clear the tire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

whith

Been there....currently there sort of. I’m not sure you can add a half in but one thing I’ve done is to unscrew the sliding track from the inside, pull the track away from the body a bit, and essentially shim it from there with rubber or neoprene washers over the screws that are welded to the track. Seals up nicely and you can’t even notice it even if you’re looking. If that isn’t quite enough you can trim the lower portion of you plastic interior paneling on the sliding door and replace it with aluminum sheeting as a sort of kick plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles