GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Good to know, I hadn't actually seen any pictures. I'm still interested in why people use 2500 Suburban springs over 2500 van springs. I'm guessing they might be slightly lower and slightly softer?
Using the general spring KC website as a reference the suburban and van springs have the same dimensions. 2900# 2.5" wide, 30x30 and 3 7/16" thick.
However they do have a different part number 22-907 for the burb and 22-907v for the van. Possibly the bolt diameter at the shackle is different? Dunno. But there appears to be no obvious difference between the burb or van 2500 springs.

fire_strom

Adventurer
I have a correction.
That almost auto-corrected into a whole different direction.
Anyway, mine are actually are already bolt head towards frame and still rub a tiny bit. Not enough that I'm worried but they are. I'll go get some pictures.
-G

fire_strom

Adventurer
Here we go. First is passenger side. Bolt/frame interaction is on the leading edge. These have around 20k on them. The grooves are not grooves, it is only the paint coating that has been effected. The frame hasn't lost any material on either side.
-G

Attachments

• IMG_2578.JPG
    IMG_2578.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2579.JPG
    IMG_2579.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 75

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Here we go. First is passenger side. Bolt/frame interaction is on the leading edge. These have around 20k on them. The grooves are not grooves, it is only the paint coating that has been effected. The frame hasn't lost any material on either side.
-G
Out of curiosity I checked the clearance on my 2010 with the same springs. I have almost a 1/4" of clearance between the bolt head and frame.
For whatever it is worth

JayKray

OK, so quick update. I installed the Air Lift kit with the internal "jounce" bumpers and they are working pretty well. They certainly lifted the rear quite a bit, but unfortunately I didn't take measurements before and after. I just did a 300 mile road trip this weekend and they did what I expected. Still a comfortable ride with 30 psi in the bags, corrected ride height, and less sway. I wasn't fully loaded for this trip but I will be pretty close next weekend.
I will warn those who might be trying this kit that it is NOT a direct fit for the AWD 1500. I had to drill holes in the bump stop catch pan, shorten the axle straps, offset the top bag mounting holes, and drill a new hole for the side frame mount. Those changes can be seen in the attached pictures. Nothing difficult, but just adds extra time to the install.

Now I want to go stiffer in the front to balance it out! Anyone have part numbers for stiffer torsion bars?

Attachments

• van after air bags.jpg
    van after air bags.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • 20180910_193654.jpg
    20180910_193654.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 20180910_193700.jpg
    20180910_193700.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 20180910_194233.jpg
    20180910_194233.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 76

blanksky

Hey all, hoping to add an 1.5" to 2" to the front end of my 07 AWD Savana. I want to eliminate the slight rubbing from my 265/16s and level out the stance. Can I just do the Traxda key upgrade and not upgrade the shocks at all? Do I need to get it on a lift or can I put it on jackstands?

BearVan.JPG

45Kevin

Adventurer
I changed my keys on jack stands. Just get the front wheel off the ground to get as much load as possible off the torsion bars.
You will need longer shocks as well I believe.

North

Observer
On the road and woke up this A.M. with a flat (passenger front). Not many tire shops open on Sundays. I'm running 265/75/16 and the spare is the stock 245/75/16. Thoughts on going 70mi on the spare?

Oddly enough, I spent 2hrs at the tire shop yesterday getting a valve stem replaced on the passenger rear.

45Kevin

Adventurer
Just guessing here, but don't do it.

I am not sure what damage is done though if you do run odd sized tires.
Maybe screws up the fluid by burning (over heating) it?

macexpress

Observer
If you run one undersized tire it will ruin the transfer case. Your van will think that that tire is spinning since it is turning faster and will try to adjust power to make up for it.

Choff

Adventurer
That's why you will need the same size spare tire when you have AWD, You will mess up the transfer case

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles