GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

fire_strom

Adventurer
I used the reverse lights as a trigger. I found the wire either from the fuse panel under the driver seat or at a connector plug behind the dash on the far left, sorry, I've forgotten which. Check the fuse panel cover and see if there is a reverse light fuse there. If there is I used an add a circuit and ran the wire behind the kick panel. If not, I found it from that plug. I have the service manual set so I have all the wiring diagrams and would have used that to figure out which wire at the connector plug.
-G

North

Observer
Is there a brake upgrade out there for these vans? The front rotors on mine are due for replacement, and I'm wondering if I can upsize. I do a lot of driving on mountain roads so the brakes on my vehicles get a good workout. I did the Tundra upgrade on my 4runner and it worked great. Hoping for a similar option here.

wjeeper

Is there a brake upgrade out there for these vans? The front rotors on mine are due for replacement, and I'm wondering if I can upsize. I do a lot of driving on mountain roads so the brakes on my vehicles get a good workout. I did the Tundra upgrade on my 4runner and it worked great. Hoping for a similar option here.

Since the front end of these vans is from a GMT800 Silverado 1500 (99-2006) aftermarket upgrades for the trucks should work for the vans.

I have been researching a front brake upgrade kit that uses factory ACDelco parts. But haven't pulled the trigger because my brakes are in great shape so far.
  • 12 to 13 inch rotor upgrade
  • Wave slotted rotors with thicker than stock walls for increased warp resistance
  • Corrosion resistant coated rotors
  • Larger caliper pistons
  • Ceramic pads
  • Increased pad surface area
  • All OE parts: available nationwide at any dealership
  • Downside: Have to upgrade to 17" wheels

NewCal2.png

Choff

Adventurer
2005 AWD GMC SAVANA, FULL CONVERSION VAN
Went with R1 Concepts -great brake products, shop on line and sent to the house. do not remember the pad name, but the site has very friendly navigation to upgrades.
I have used these pads a calibers twice now, got about 50,000 on first set, on my second set from them and like the stopping power with the slotted rotors, they don't fade.
I am running stock lines with 175,000 on them and work great.
Heavy vans stop slow but with good disks on all fours it can stop quick.
Good luck !!!

TheEL

Observer
I used the reverse lights as a trigger. I found the wire either from the fuse panel under the driver seat or at a connector plug behind the dash on the far left, sorry, I've forgotten which. Check the fuse panel cover and see if there is a reverse light fuse there. If there is I used an add a circuit and ran the wire behind the kick panel. If not, I found it from that plug. I have the service manual set so I have all the wiring diagrams and would have used that to figure out which wire at the connector plug.
-G

You guys rock. I wound up taping into the reverse light at the rear of the van. I had already ran all the wires I previously thought were needed so had to rip apart some cedar planking to make it happen. Was looking for a front of van option but the rear lights seemed like the easiest.

Im looking into getting a passenger side swivel seat. Been searching on the forums and thought someone got one though Van Specialties in OR but just called them and they said no. Is discountvantruck.com the only game on the internet for these? Have seen a bunch of mixed reviews on them but the general consensus is that, yes, your passenger seat will swivel. I guess ultimately that is the goal. :sombrero:

iridewheelies

Adventurer
You guys rock. I wound up taping into the reverse light at the rear of the van. I had already ran all the wires I previously thought were needed so had to rip apart some cedar planking to make it happen. Was looking for a front of van option but the rear lights seemed like the easiest.

Im looking into getting a passenger side swivel seat. Been searching on the forums and thought someone got one though Van Specialties in OR but just called them and they said no. Is discountvantruck.com the only game on the internet for these? Have seen a bunch of mixed reviews on them but the general consensus is that, yes, your passenger seat will swivel. I guess ultimately that is the goal. :sombrero:

When I was at van specialties they showed me seat swivel pedestals. It's not a bolt in item for a chevy. They would need to make adapter plates or something. If you brought your van there they might make you one, it won't be cheap. If I had more time I'd buy one of the pedestals and design the adapters then share the files so you could make them yourself. The discountvantruck swivel took a lot of work to be acceptable. It's ok. I don't like the offset of the seat and it has some wiggle in it when "locked" in forward position.

North

Observer
I have been researching a front brake upgrade kit that uses factory ACDelco parts. But haven't pulled the trigger because my brakes are in great shape so far.
  • Wave slotted rotors with thicker than stock walls for increased warp resistance
  • Larger caliper pistons
  • Ceramic pads

Thanks for that info. I was hoping for a factory upgrade like on my 4runner. Wheel clearance issue is familiar (only certain stock wheels 4runner wheels fit over the Tundra brakes). Still not sure if the brakes on these vans are undersized or if the previous owner was a bad driver and warped the rotors; they been shuddering during high stops from day one (of my ownership).

I've got the discountvantruck swivel in mine. Yes ultimately your seat does swivel. It does raise your seat unless you modify the base. Yes it is slightly wobbly when locked in the forward position. I believe the offset is so you can swivel the seat around without having to open the passenger door. All in all I've been pleased with mine for several years. Not too many options out there.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Since the front end of these vans is from a GMT800 Silverado 1500 (99-2006) aftermarket upgrades for the trucks should work for the vans.

• Larger caliper pistons
  • Ceramic pads

NewCal2.png

I saw reference on a random forum archive about using Denali brakes. No details of year/part #s though. I was trying to figure it out recently when I was in the market for brakes.

I ended up with replacement Centric brand pads and rotors. I think they were their premium rotors (plain, not slotted or drilled) and their 'fleet' ceramic pads. They work well. It's no sports car, but they are good.

Scotty D

Has anyone tried swapping in better seats?
I spent some time looking in the junkyards of Tuscon last fall and saw some stuff that looked close to bolt in with maybe just a bit of drilling.
I wonder if using a swivel base might make it easier.
The ergonomics of the stock seat are just not working for me, would rather have a firmer . smaller sports car type seat.

Accrete

Explorer
the personal comfort issue is facinating to me. For my wife and i the stock chevy seat comfort/fit are amazing (she is 5'3" i'm 5'8"), designing a seat that may hopefully "fit" the masses has got to be a brain-twister for designers.

vandecamp

New to this Forum, but not new to vans.. well kind of. I picked up the first vehicle that I've owned that's actually of this century - a 2009 chevy express AWD. I'm in the midst of building it out into a camper setup.

What's the go to propane tanke to throw under these rigs?

rockbender

Adventurer
New to this Forum, but not new to vans.. well kind of. I picked up the first vehicle that I've owned that's actually of this century - a 2009 chevy express AWD. I'm in the midst of building it out into a camper setup.

What's the go to propane tanke to throw under these rigs?

Check out the tanks at gowesty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles