GM 6.5 liter diesel.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I know there has been lots of talk about the GM 6.5 liter diesel before, but I could still like to know what to look out for.... Looking at buying a 94 GM with the 6.5 diesel. I have heard issues about the harmonic balancer, and also about cracked heads and blocks. *What are the telltale signs?:Wow1:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Are you in BC? If you like what you see/feel, take it to BD/Valley Fuel Injection and have them give it a once over. It would be $100 well spent.

1stDeuce

Explorer
If it's a turbo diesel, the crankshafts are good for about 300k miles. (Ask me how I know...)
Harmonic Balancers need replacing every ~100k or so to be safe.
If they're turned up, the rear cylinders run hot. There are kits to help with this. A '97+ (or was it '98+?) water pump and thermostat housing will help with temps if you're working it hard. ('94+ were electronic fuel pumps, so you can't really "turn them up" easily.)
If it's a 5-speed, I think it had a dual mass flywheel. If that hasn't been replaced with a single mass flywheel, you'll eventually get to replace it yourself.
My '96 had loads of torque, got 19-20mpg in a 3/4 ton 4wd if driven easy, and ALWAYS Started, even when only half the glow plugs worked and it was well below freezing.
No complaints about the one I had.
Chris

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info guys. Redthies, the truck is in Kamloops and there is no plates on it. As far as I know this 1500 Yukon is totally stock. Lots of kliks, 364000 km. Should I look under the truck and check for cracks in the harmonic balancer?:Wow1:

1stDeuce

Explorer
No, look for the rubber ring to be pooching out of the balancer. Once they start tossing the outer steel ring, they're done.
C

Kaisen

Explorer
The harmonic balancer failure is what causes the crankshaft fatigue/failure. Just plan on replacing the balancer with a new rubber type, or a Fluidampr

Outback

Explorer
Look to Peninsular for the latest and greatest products for the 6.5. They purchased the rights to build the motor with all of the old issues a thing of the past. 300 to 400 reliable HP with 600 ft lbs of torque (I believe up to 600ft lbs) running all day long with NO problems. Also the Fluid Dynamics Harmonic Balancer is most likely the best unit you can get if needed. An external balancer is a must for these engines. If they go bad then your Crank will soon follow that last train west as well.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Rolling into town on the 12th of July. Going up to Kamloops shortly thereafter. If you want to come along Redthies I would make it worth your while. Can you say free beers?:Wow1:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I am going to the island on the 12th, until the 15th. After that I may actually have some spare time.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am going to the island on the 12th, until the 15th. After that I may actually have some spare time.

I will see what the schedule is like. maybe the time frame looks good. I will need someone to drive the rental car back to van....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I will need someone to drive the rental car back to van....

You're going to rent something "fancy" no doubt! I would have to have "fancy" if you are driving this...

image_zpsc3edaf6f.jpg

Have you made a deal on it yet?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
You're going to rent something "fancy" no doubt! I would have to have "fancy" if you are driving this...

image_zpsc3edaf6f.jpg

Have you made a deal on it yet?

The guy said he would hold it for me untill I have a chance to look at it. He seems pretty straight forward. He replaced the vehicle with a new Dodge pick-up, so he just wants a reasonable price....:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles