GM 4.8?

Yeahs or nays? Experience? Looking at a `12 CC,SB,4X4, 4SPD., 3.42. Is there a big difference between this setup and a 5.3/6spd.? Is the 4L60E more reliable than it Was?

CampStewart

Observer
I would think it would be slow and not likley to hurt a 4l60. How heavy would you anticipate the truck weighing when loaded, and would you plan on pulling a trailer? How fast would you want to cruise on the highway? A 5.3 6 speed would probably get at least the same gas mileage and far better performance.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
4.8L (2012)
305 ft-lbs @ 4600
302 hp @ 5600

5.3L (2012)
335 ft-lbs @ 4,000 rpm
315 hp @ 5,200 rpm

Not that much of a difference

30 ft-lbs 600 RPM earlier and 13 hp 400 RPM sooner is noticeable, especially loaded pulling a hill. That truck will be much happier with 4.56's than 3.42's...

D

Deleted member 374434BT

4.8s don't have that junk DOD.

Never met an owner who liked their 5.3/6spd truck or SUV. They hunt for gears constantly and are DOGS around town and on the highway. Most have 3:42 or lower gears due to the 6 speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

john61ct

Adventurer
Are you guys comparing diesel engine to gas (petrol, benzine)?

4.8L is what I'm looking for, ideally in a 4WD "shorty" schoolbus

or maybe forestry truck, or firetruck?

Capable of modding to tow a 15K lb loaded trailer

anyone knowing how to go about searching systematically for such a beast, I will throw money at you to help me

CampStewart

Observer
Are you guys comparing diesel engine to gas (petrol, benzine)?

4.8L is what I'm looking for, ideally in a 4WD "shorty" schoolbus

or maybe forestry truck, or firetruck?

Capable of modding to tow a 15K lb loaded trailer

anyone knowing how to go about searching systematically for such a beast, I will throw money at you to help me
The OP is comparing 2 gas engines from the GM LSX family used in 1/2 ton pickups.

ZMagic97

Explorer
The 4.8 is just a smaller 5.3 really. Very reliable LS platform engine.

I honestly don't think the 4L60E is a bad trans. Failures are often due to overheat and dirty fluid (like many transmissions) and people changing gears without coming to a full stop (back up and then going to drive while in motion).

john61ct

Adventurer
OK thanks. I want to stick with gas.

Got my wires crossed, the one I want is the 8.1L

as used in Kodiak / Topkick midranges, say up to C7500 ? I think retired there maybe 2008?

example forestry trucks seems to have manual 6-speed, dunno what model box or diff.

Sometimes the PTO / hydraulics available from the cherry picker or dump.

But lots pricier than the school buses, have yet to see 4WD, why I was thinking of wilderness fire trucks.

Also used in Suburbans, but not sure their chassis / suspension up to it.

D

Deleted member 9101

Better than a 4.3, lags behind the 5.3.

The 8.1 is s good motor, plenty of low end grunt, but don't plan on winning any races...lol.

Toyaddict

My service van has the 4.8 with the 6 speed trans, I have it loaded up pretty good although I've never weighed it. Plenty of power for merging with traffic and the "hills" we have in Kansas. If I were pulling a trailer or loaded heavier I'd want the 6.0.

D

Deleted member 9101

My service van has the 4.8 with the 6 speed trans, I have it loaded up pretty good although I've never weighed it. Plenty of power for merging with traffic and the "hills" we have in Kansas. If I were pulling a trailer or loaded heavier I'd want the 6.0.

We have a high top 2500 van with the 4.8... It's tolerable when the van is empty, absolutely gutless when towing an enclosed trailer.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
When shopping for my Tahoe around 2003 and 2004 I drove both a 5.3 and a 4.8. To me there was a noticeable difference in the performance which is why I bought a 5.3 version when I found one. She can certainly "scoot" when need be, even being 18 years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94