Gluten free camping with a tree nut allergy

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
So I have been getting the chuck box ready for a trip this weekend, and have come upon a problem. My wife has gone gluten free due to health issues, and ALSO has a tree nut allergy! Needless to say, this really puts a crimp in my prep! I have found a few things that need little to no prep or refrigeration, but was wanting to hear if anyone else has any experience!

so for example, something I found out, Costco jerky is gluten free! (most aren't)
Almost ALL gluten-free products have some kind of nut product in it!

kmlacroix

Explorer
Just stay away from the sierra club.

Gluten free can be difficult enough. A vacuum sealer and freezer are you new best friends. A very good quality cooler will keep frozen stuff frozen/cold enough for up to a week. I can keep veggies edible for up to 4 days in in a "cheap" igloo 5 day cooler. This summer I will be experimenting with making my own jerky. Having real food camping is very satisfying.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'll ping a forum member that I know who has a girlfriend that has Celiac disease. He should be able to give you some tips.

kmlacroix

Explorer
I need eat GF also. I found it is difficult enough to find "non" or less perishable food that doesn't need refrigeration and is reasonably healthy. Canned goods tend to work well, but are high in sodium. I precooked and sealed my proteins for my last trip. It worked very well and was a welcome change from canned or dehydrated meals.

Do you two like steel cut oatmeal? Add dried fruit, cinnamon and a little bit of sugar.

Bagged salads often have and inert gas to keep them fresher.

Fresh food, while a little more work, is still your best bet. I like to cook, so prep is not a big deal for me.

Dinty Moore Beef and Chicken stews are GF and tree nut free.

tarditi

Explorer
Not in our immediate family (thankfully) but extended family, we have folks who are gluten AND nut allergic.

Many (most!) fruits do not need to be refrigerated
Lots of snack foods can be found both gluten and nut-free
Gluten free bread is expensive! Look for gluten/nut-free wraps, possibly - can find some from internet sources, if not locally
You can make your own bread with substitute flour (rice flour, tapioca, etc.), and it can actually be fun, if that's your thing
You can find some gluten & nut-free box mix for some baked goods (muffins, cakes, etc.) and make in advance and vacuum seal to preserve for a few days

Be careful with dehydrated fruits as they may have had contact with open tree nuts (almonds, pistachios, etc.) in storage or processing

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
Awesome! I have been thinking about food prep ahead of time, and making things that are stable without refrigeration when possible. While I don't get too worried about healthy when camping, I still try to keep things decent when possible! I always bring plenty of eggs, omelets and breakfast burritos are easy. We have talked about getting a vacuum sealer, just haven't gotten to it yet!

Never knew about Dinty Moore! Loved that stuff as a kid!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne