Glue furring strips to aluminum canopy?

FireAce

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an adhesive that would hold strong enough to attach wood furring strips to the interior of an aluminum canopy body? (Approx 1/8" thick aluminum sheeting makes up the body)

I have an old aluminum slide in utility body that I'm in the early stages of converting to a small camper (Think of a fiberglass Spacekap but in aluminum so currently there's no way to screw/attach interior paneling, shelving, etc.). I'm planing to attach approx 1"x1" wooden furring strips to the interior and then insulate the spaces between. The furring strips will give me something to attach finishing trim/paneling to as well as attach light duty shelves, fixtures, etc.

Is there adhesive out there that will hold strong enough to keep the furring strips in place through the extremes of hot and cold weather and moderate weight of interior paneling/shelving? Any recommendations would be much appreciated. This is a key element to my planning so if I have to abandon the glue idea I'll have to explore other options.

Pictures and a build thread coming soon!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Also note that some of these adhesives have a specific process before bonding to aluminum. Usually a scuff and wipe. Some require a primer to reach max bond strength. Though you probably don't need that kind of strength for this application.

s.e.charles

clean aluminum with isopropyl alcohol, apply 3M VHB tape, lay furring strip, support overnight with spring-stick, bob's your uncle.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I did this to the inside of my Tiger, both on fiberglass and aluminum with no problems. Take a look at my restoration. Good luck!

FireAce

Thanks everyone for the responses! Much appreciated. I have debated both Sika and VHB. Will have to do more research for my specific application. I should have noted that the Aluminum is powder coated both inside/out, hoping this means that less prep work will be required over bare aluminum?

I did this to the inside of my Tiger, both on fiberglass and aluminum with no problems. Take a look at my restoration. Good luck!

Checked out your build, very nice work! Did you have an adhesive of choice for the sections of wood you bonded to Aluminum?

This sounds like a fun and challenging project. I’m looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress.

Hey, you’re probably already be aware of this risk, but do remember to be careful using solvents or glues if you’re working “indoors.” Most glues or solvents are safest to use only while working in an open or well ventilated area. Sadly, there have been cases of guys dying from inhaling certain types of glue or solvent fumes when working with them in confined spaces... like inside a closed garage. Since you’re going to be working in a really confined space in that shell, just keep an eye on maintaining a source of good air flow when you’re applying the glue or cleaning the aluminum skin.

Good luck and keep us updated pls.

Thanks for the note on safety, very good point!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
You need to know what kind of material was used for the powder coat. Some of the plastics used have low surface energy, and urethane/VHB adhesives will not readily form a good bond. Some are just fine though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles