Globalstar Sat Phones?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
You might want to check into a www.wilsonantenna.com. They work with any cell phone and improve reception, dramatically. I looked into a sat phone, and was rudely awakened to the hidden costs. Just a thought, good luck.

Thanks, I'll look into that. Though, part of my desire would be to have a phone that works while on my enduro or hiking/canoeing, this thing might be "good enough".

You didn't say "who" your cell phone provider was...
but you may find different levels of coverage depending on which network you are using...

I'm with Bell currently.

I've had my Globalstar phone for about 5 years now. The service definitely went down hill a few years ago, but in my opinion the service has been restored noticeably in the last year. I am using a GSP-1600 with a GPK-1400 car kit. The cradle is next to me in the truck so I can see how often and how long I can maintain signal.

That's the one I was looking at. $400 for the phone with the car kit. I was playing with their satelite reception thing, to see when it might have signal, looks like it is at least 50% of the time?

How well do these phones work, generally, under tree cover?

And the GSP-1600 is supposed to be some kind of dual mode with GSM? How does that work?

August

Observer
That's the one I was looking at. $400 for the phone with the car kit. I was playing with their satelite reception thing, to see when it might have signal, looks like it is at least 50% of the time?

How well do these phones work, generally, under tree cover?

And the GSP-1600 is supposed to be some kind of dual mode with GSM? How does that work?

It doesn't work well under tree cover or in narrow valleys. So given ideal conditions, 50% of the time seems about right. I can usually get a decent signal within 5-15 minutes and sustain calls for 1-5 minutes.

I have an Iridium phone for work too but it is much more expensive to buy and operate. My Globalstar phone stays in my personal vehicle.

The GSP-1600 is tri-mode with satellite, analog (now unavailable) and CDMA (Telus or Bell). I signed up for a cheap plan with Telus and this acts as my backup to my primary Rogers GSM phone.

There is an Ericsson Globalstar phone with GSM but I was told by Globalstar that they wouldn't activate one on a North American account.

skysix

Adventurer
The GSP-1600 is tri-mode with satellite, analog (now unavailable) and CDMA (Telus or Bell).

Where are you that analog is unavailable? It is getting harder to get signed up with most of the carriers (through mall kiosks etc) but in the west and north of Canada that is pretty much all there is in many places. Telus still has commercial accounts for the old analog 'bag phones' (vehicle mounted 3watt analog cells) used by many of the exploration / resource companies. NOT available via typical outlets but through Motorola 2-way radio dealers etc.

On Globalstar - also doesn't work well in the arctic. Sat coverage fades out rapidly above 66 degrees N and is gone by the time you get near the ocean (69-70N)

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
So... I could use a GSP-1600 on CDMA off a Bell account when I'm in-town? That would be awesome. I guess the phone is a kinda big though? Probably better, I lost mine because it fell out of my pocket and I didn't notice! :)

I heard that Bell was going away from CDMA? I've also heard that analog is unavailable down here in the "south". But I noticed Bell is still selling bag phones, so I'm not sure what's going on.

But, so if I'm in the woods and I want to make a call, I have to find a clearing? How about if I'm on a good size dirt road so the trees are clear in a linear path? Standing on the shore of a lake? Or do you need to be mountaintop or something like that?

August

Observer
So... I could use a GSP-1600 on CDMA off a Bell account when I'm in-town? That would be awesome. I guess the phone is a kinda big though? Probably better, I lost mine because it fell out of my pocket and I didn't notice! :)

I heard that Bell was going away from CDMA? I've also heard that analog is unavailable down here in the "south". But I noticed Bell is still selling bag phones, so I'm not sure what's going on.

But, so if I'm in the woods and I want to make a call, I have to find a clearing? How about if I'm on a good size dirt road so the trees are clear in a linear path? Standing on the shore of a lake? Or do you need to be mountaintop or something like that?

Yeah, the GSP-1600 would be a rather large (and heavy) CDMA phone but I have used it as such in northern BC towns where there is no Rogers GSM coverage.

I'm almost 100% certain that AMPS (analog) has been discontinued everywhere in Canada. Perhaps there are a few pockets of AMPS coverage is rural Canada.

Are you referring to the Motorola M800 bag phone that works on CDMA? There's also a GSM version of this phone.

As for Globalstar service, there are so many other factors than just having a clear line of sight. I have successfully maintained calls next to tall buildings, in motion on the highway and even in some treed areas. Other times I've waited 20 minutes in an open field.

I don't know if atmospheric disturbances or solar flares can affect the signal but obviously satellite placement will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles