Globalstar Sat Phones?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Just looking for some experiences people have had with this Sat phone system.

I'm not going on any international trips, and not looking for an "expedition" phone... I'm just looking for a damn cell phone that works where I live. I live in a rural area half-way between Toronto and Montreal, and for the most part cell phone coverage is restricted to close to the 401 corridor. Anytime I go north of the 401, within 15 minutes, coverage is spotty at best. It's maddening. You can be driving along, waiting to make a call, no bars... wait, wait, bingo 4 bars, quickly dial, "Hello?" <dead> no bars. ******?

Basically, any weekend we head up north which is at least half the time during the summer, we have no coverage at all.

Also, because I live in Canada and we have a cell phone Oligopoly, cell phone service is crazy expensive. Currently I'm paying $61/month all-in for a "family plan" that included 2 cheap phones that share 200 minutes/month. There is no caller display or voice mail, no data, no nothing. Actually... my wife took a picture and sent it to me last month, not knowing any better, and it cost us $10. Can you believe that?! I never ever text message, or mobile data anything. The contract will be up in May, and I don't even think we could renew it for that low of a price. Probably closer to $80 now.

So by comparison, the Globalstar Freedom 150 plan at $65/month doesn't seem that bad. (but are there extra fees...?) I notice on the US site they don't list any fees. I noticed on the Globalstar Canada website that the equivalent Latitude 150 plan costs $75, and then there appears to be another $12 in fees...

They also seem to have a teaser rate. Unlimited calling for $35/month, but then what happens after it expires? (March in the US, September in Canada).

So, for the way we use mobile phones, just for quick calls mostly, but we want actual service outside of urban centers... would this work or is it silly?

My current contract will be up in May, but apparently I have a $200 credit with my current provider to get a new phone now, not sure if that means I'll be locked in for a longer period. Just trying to figure out if I want to use it.

I wouldn't mind at least upgrading my POS phone to one of the Sanyo tough phones. But even that is like... $350-200 is $150 which is nuts. I'd love one of the Sonim tough phones, but don't think I can get or use them in Canada.

Last edited:

advnirvana

Observer
Hello Rob,

I live fairly close to you. I am south of Ottawa on the St.Lawrence River.

I have owned a few sat phones. My wife's family live in central Queensland Australia no cell coverage and no telephone other than satellite. We visit every year and I usually have a sat phone with me.

Here is my recommendation for what it is worth.

I would go with an Iridium based phone because the worldwide coverage is much better and it makes the phone more "sellable" if you would like to sell it in the future. Basically, you are looking at $1200-1400 bucks for a good used phone on the market. You can then buy a prepaid card with a number of minutes that are good for a year. Typically the prepaid cards go for about $1/min or so . There are some folks with good deals.

I have found the Iridium service great. Good reception and very clear. The Iridium handsets are very rugged. One of the things you will have to remember is that any sat phone needs a clear view of the sky so they do not work in buildings or cars unless you have an external antenna.

Those are my two cents. I know there are alot of other folks with much more experience.

EMrider

Explorer
Hello Rob,

I live fairly close to you. I am south of Ottawa on the St.Lawrence River.

I have owned a few sat phones. My wife's family live in central Queensland Australia no cell coverage and no telephone other than satellite. We visit every year and I usually have a sat phone with me.

Here is my recommendation for what it is worth.

I would go with an Iridium based phone because the worldwide coverage is much better and it makes the phone more "sellable" if you would like to sell it in the future. Basically, you are looking at $1200-1400 bucks for a good used phone on the market. You can then buy a prepaid card with a number of minutes that are good for a year. Typically the prepaid cards go for about $1/min or so . There are some folks with good deals.

I have found the Iridium service great. Good reception and very clear. The Iridium handsets are very rugged. One of the things you will have to remember is that any sat phone needs a clear view of the sky so they do not work in buildings or cars unless you have an external antenna.

Those are my two cents. I know there are alot of other folks with much more experience.

I'd second this 100%.

Even more to the point, Globalstar sat phones don't work. I was a 'customer' for about 3 years and watched their service deteriorate to the point where I literally could not make a call. Those carrying a Globalstar phone for emergency only use are in for a rude surprise if/when they actually need their phones to work.

Switched to Iridium about 2 years ago and have been quite happy with the quality of service. The phones typically lock onto a signal in less than 3 minutes and voice quality is pretty good with few dropped calls.

R

4WD School

Adventurer
Me too...

Same experience here. The Globalstar sat phones were fine until a few years ago when their network had "issues". I've discontinued my service.

Globalstar is now focusing on their "SPOT" messenger device.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Huh. Well, it seems the Iridium service is just too expensive for what I really need, and if the Globalstar system is really that bad, then I just won't bother. I do have a SPOT already, so I'll just use that for emergencies and make calls the odd time I find reception up north.

targa88

Explorer
Part of the reason that Globalstar is offering the deal/teaser is because they are having issues with the satellites degrading orbit.
FWIW - that why the cheap rate is not guaranteed for long...

skifsh

wilson amplified cellphone antenna

You might want to check into a www.wilsonantenna.com. They work with any cell phone and improve reception, dramatically. I looked into a sat phone, and was rudely awakened to the hidden costs. Just a thought, good luck.

UNI

Adventurer
skifsh Posted: wilson amplified cellphone antenna
You might want to check into a www.wilsonantenna.com. They work with any cell phone and improve reception, dramatically. I looked into a sat phone, and was rudely awakened to the hidden costs. Just a thought, good luck.

Rob,

I also think all you need is a Wilson Electronics SIGNALBOOST Cellular Amplifier Kit #811214 Cellular Amplifier. We have this device in our Jeep, it will 10 times your receive & send signal. Example, if you have a half of a signal bar and you flip on the amplifier it will max out your bars (Full Bars). There is a cradle (Internal Antenna) that you mount to the dash. You can (If your car is equiped) slide your cell phone into the cradle and BlueTooth your phone to your vehicle stereo and talk hands free through your stereo. You can also slide a MiFi device into the cradle and now you have an amplified wireless router that will allow you to operate up to 5 laptop computers at your camp location. We use a different antenna than what comes with the amplifier Wilson RV/Trucker Spring-Mount Cellular Antenna (301133) Spring loaded and will receive both cell & internet data.

Here are a few pictures of out installation:

Wilson Amplifier Under Passenger Seat:

2777561620100746432S500x500Q85.jpg

Wilson Dash Cradle:

2974071460100746432S500x500Q85.jpg

Wilson Dual Purpose Antenna: (Antenna On The Left Side)

2181790620100746432S500x500Q85.jpg

Hope this helps!

Alan

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
FWIW- GlobalStar stock (GSAT) paid for 100% of my truck mods last year.
The phone service might suck but I love the company. :sombrero:

pygmyowl

FWIW- GlobalStar stock (GSAT) paid for 100% of my truck mods last year.
The phone service might suck but I love the company. :sombrero:

That is interesting, with a 52 week high of $2 and a low of .17 cents (currently a.87/share) their stock isn't worth a whole lot.

EMrider

Explorer
Rob,

I also think all you need is a Wilson Electronics SIGNALBOOST Cellular Amplifier Kit #811214 Cellular Amplifier. We have this device in our Jeep, it will 10 times your receive & send signal. Example, if you have a half of a signal bar and you flip on the amplifier it will max out your bars (Full Bars). There is a cradle (Internal Antenna) that you mount to the dash. You can (If your car is equiped) slide your cell phone into the cradle and BlueTooth your phone to your vehicle stereo and talk hands free through your stereo. You can also slide a MiFi device into the cradle and now you have an amplified wireless router that will allow you to operate up to 5 laptop computers at your camp location. We use a different antenna than what comes with the amplifier Wilson RV/Trucker Spring-Mount Cellular Antenna (301133) Spring loaded and will receive both cell & internet data.

Here are a few pictures of out installation:

Wilson Amplifier Under Passenger Seat:

2777561620100746432S500x500Q85.jpg

Wilson Dash Cradle:

2974071460100746432S500x500Q85.jpg

Wilson Dual Purpose Antenna: (Antenna On The Left Side)

2181790620100746432S500x500Q85.jpg

Hope this helps!

Alan

If there is even a weak cell signal, these Wilson boosters are great. I've used one for a couple years and they work quite well. But you gotta have a signal in the first place.
R

DasZuk

You didn't say "who" your cell phone provider was...
but you may find different levels of coverage depending on which network you are using...

I worked in BC for a couple of years and had the same issues with poor coverage in remote areas.
However, at the time there was a difference between Bell and Rogers coverage areas...
I got good localized reception in small towns on the Bell network,
when other people traveling with me saw no bars on their Rogers phones...

- Just my experiences... yours of course may differ...

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have had a Globalstar phone for a number of years. There are many places that I go where cell service is non-existent. It has worked for me when needed in the US, Canada and the West Indies.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
That is interesting, with a 52 week high of $2 and a low of .17 cents (currently a.87/share) their stock isn't worth a whole lot.
I'm not sure what the future holds for GlobalStar. I bought the stock at $.40 after seeing SPOT getting more and more media attention. Sold in the $1.20's and used part of the proceeds to complete my truck-mod wish list.

Another product I'm watching closely is the AT&T Genus Phone . It's a dual mode Satellite/Cellular Smart Phone. IMHO, this idea could develop into exactly what most of us are looking for in an "Expo phone". I started buying shares of the partner company TerraStar (TSTR) last May. If it's successful, maybe I'll be able to afford one of them fancy refrigerators. ;)

August

Observer
I've had my Globalstar phone for about 5 years now. The service definitely went down hill a few years ago, but in my opinion the service has been restored noticeably in the last year. I am using a GSP-1600 with a GPK-1400 car kit. The cradle is next to me in the truck so I can see how often and how long I can maintain signal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz