Gladiators on the Rubicon Trail

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Thanks.

This is interesting and relevant to the discussion:

The trucks we drove were bone stock. Tires were aired down to 22 psi to give the factory-fitment Falken Wildpeak A/T tires better purchase on some of the rocks and to make for a less-bouncy ride.
I am surprised to hear that. They didn't LOOK aired down. Must be fairly stiff sidewalls, or perhaps they were Load E rated or something stiffer than might normally be used on a Jeep? I don't know. Just didn't see any compliance in those tires, and not much traction either.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
there's a lot of tougher places on this trail that they had to go through that they didn't show...would have loved to see how they faired.
Looks like they rotated the “media drivers” in groups. The guys that recorded this first day flew out in the afternoon, and i’m guessing another group flew in the next morning to finish it out.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have done the Rubicon and I am actually really impressed. A 2” lift is cheap and a set of 35 or 37’s and it would have done fine. Looks like the stock skids we’re doing what they were supposed to do. Certainly did not do anything to make me not want one.

Same here did with mark smith jeeper jamboree in stock tj rubicons not sure what the first tire size was
I have done the Rubicon and I am actually really impressed. A 2” lift is cheap and a set of 35 or 37’s and it would have done fine. Looks like the stock skids we’re doing what they were supposed to do. Certainly did not do anything to make me not want one.

jadmt

ignore button user
Same here did with mark smith jeeper jamboree in stock tj rubicons not sure what the first tire size was
they were like 31" at most, but doing it in a TJ is going to be so much easier than in a JT. No jamborees for me :) too many people. We were lucky just 3 rigs and nobody else on the trail. When I did the Dust just one other rig and never saw another sole except the guys that were broke down in the Land Rover. they said they had been working 3 solid days to get it out. They were pulling it out with a built Toyota pickup/buggy that was about fried by the time we came along. they actually declined our help.

WanderingTrail

The Gladiator is on a 3.5" ready lift and 37's. It belongs to Wizzard005 on youtube. I know Litebrites JL is a metalcloak, believe its also a 3.5". Running 40's, hemi, dana 60 and dana 80.

Ron

rkj__

Adventurer
I enjoyed the video content, but I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand, if you put "Rubicon" in massive letters, on the hood of the vehicle, you need to prove to the media / public that it actually can do the Rubicon trail.

On the other hand, in stock form, the vehicle really struggled. Watching a vehicle struggle, is not impressive.

GB_Willys_2014

The Gladiator is on a 3.5" ready lift and 37's. It belongs to Wizzard005 on youtube. I know Litebrites JL is a metalcloak, believe its also a 3.5". Running 40's, hemi, dana 60 and dana 80.

Ron
How much $$$$$ is in LiteBrite's JLU?

I watched the Hemi install videos and iirc the figure of $35K was tossed about. Cannot remember, though, if that is retail or otd ...

rkj__

Adventurer
How much $$$$$ is in LiteBrite's JLU?

I watched the Hemi install videos and iirc the figure of $35K was tossed about. Cannot remember, though, if that is retail or otd ...

It's insured for somewhere around $100k I believe.
Lots of Jeeps end up around there. Wayalife's Gladiator build is claimed to be at $40-50k on top of the price of the truck, and I don't think he's done with that one yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior