Gladiator with Four wheel camper?

Redheddedwonder

Is there a reason I haven’t seen one yet? I feel like this would be a popular option but maybe I am missing something. The sport has plenty of payload for a well optioned shell model.

I’ve seen all the posts about campers not recommended etc... I still feel like you would see more of them by now. Maybe I haven’t searched hard enough.

jadmt

ignore button user
that 5' bed can't help. I don't think they have plenty of payload considering even a shell model is over 1000lbs. the overhang out the back is going to mess you up gvwr wise most likely and even if you get the hypothetical 1600lbs of payload which they are usually less you and your passenger won't be able to take a lot on the trip. I just test drove a rubicon JT that had around 1200lbs payload.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Payload is one factor. 5’ bed is definitely another. Plus, I think a large portion of the type of people that get JTs, like the smaller mor minimalist style of camper like the AT, GFC, AluCab, CampKing, or Super Pacific to name a few.

Redheddedwonder

Yes I see the interest in other style of campers being beneficial for most people. Myself as well. But can’t help but think about how it would work. I believe the four wheel camper 5 foot shell model starts out around 935lbs without any options, so considering 1600 lb payload it should work. They are built for Tacoma’s and Colorado’s etc. I know the wrangler suspension (Especially rubicon) is built more for articulation, which I imagine would make it feel pretty top heavy if overloaded.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
It may also have to do with mounting. FWC's website says they will not mount on the Colorado either due to no place for mounting hardware.

Where do you see that? FWC's website definitely lists Colorado under the midsize truck section and doesn't seem to call them out in the FAQs (but they do call out the Tacoma as needed special fitment process.) I'm not planning to put a FWC on midsize, as cool as I think it would be, but having spent some time perusing options, I never saw any notes about Colorados...

Redheddedwonder

Interesting point, I don’t know whether or not it’s accuarate. I can’t find it right now but I definitely have seen the swift model on a Colorado

JDaPP

Adventurer
Truck examples:
Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab, Ford Ranger Crew Cab, & Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. Note: Unfortunately we do not offer a camper for the Crew Cab Short 5.0' bed Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon.
https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/...ader-mid-size-trucks/swift-shell-model/build/

On wander the west I saw some one said it was because mounting points were too hard to install without dropping the gas tank. One of the FWC dealers in Colorado will install them so not sure why dealer will but FWC factory won't.

Redheddedwonder

Good to know! I went down a rabbit hole yesterday of small campers so maybe it was a different camper I saw on the Colorado

Redheddedwonder

Looks good, I was more curious than anything. I’ve been planning our next setup for awhile now. Van is getting posted for sale later this month and then a I’ll be waiting for the diesel gladiator. Nice to know of someone willing to make it happen though just in case!

ThePartyWagon

The design is being worked on and we should see it within a year. There was some hesitation since the Gladiator was new and no one was sure if it was going to be around for an extended period of time. The last Jeep truck, the Comanche, was only around for six years. Since the bed is unique this along requires some changes. Add to that FWC is backed up for the next twelve months with orders.

Chet here is correct, I work for an FWC dealer and there is not a Gladiator camper currently available other than the AT Overland options as far as I'm aware, maybe there is something else out there? Plans are in the works though. FWC will have to produce a camper specifically for the Gladiator as the truck bed does not share the same footprint with other vehicles. Taking the time to design a one off camper for the Gladiator, and even more so, for the slim percentage of Gladiator customers that will actually buy one, is less important than fulfilling the 12 months of camper orders already placed. FWC lead times are skyrocketing due to the influx of Covid campers and the sheer popularity of the FWC platform.

Sidenote, shortbed Colorados are a no-go as far as I'm aware, might be possible with external tie downs but most don't want to go that route. Anything is possible with some modification. We've installed multiple campers in Colorados with the long bed option, no problems there as long as the camper was built for a Chevy with the radiused corners in the tailgate. The campers get notched for Chevy trucks for that reason. If someone bought a camper that was built for something like a Tacoma and tried to swap the camper into a Colorado, there needs to be an elevated platform placed in the truck bed to clear those rounded tailgate corners vs. a typical 90* corner found in most trucks.

Redheddedwonder

Thanks for the information, that is good to know they are at least thinking about it. I feel like it would be a popular option.
As far as the limited numbers of owner that would buy it, depending on weight the rubicons payload limits it, I wonder how much more weight they could drop.

ThePartyWagon

Thanks for the information, that is good to know they are at least thinking about it. I feel like it would be a popular option.
As far as the limited numbers of owner that would buy it, depending on weight the rubicons payload limits it, I wonder how much more weight they could drop.

The Gladiator Rubicon package has a payload of 1200lbs, a short bed Swift camper is typically below 1000lbs depending on options. A Swift shell with zero options comes in just shy of 800lbs, add a few options and you can still keep it under 1000. We'll see if they offer a full blown camper that includes a fridge, water and shore power options. That may put them close to the payload limit.

Redheddedwonder

The Gladiator Rubicon package has a payload of 1200lbs, a short bed Swift camper is typically below 1000lbs depending on options. A Swift shell with zero options comes in just shy of 800lbs, add a few options and you can still keep it under 1000. We'll see if they offer a full blown camper that includes a fridge, water and shore power options. That may put them close to the payload limit.
I see 935 lbs for the rollover couch model, which I see now is the full buildout. So that’s good. Airbags on the rubicon could make it feel more like sport with 1600lb payload.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles