Gladiator Rubicon build thread for overlanding/Rubicon trail, request thoughts!

Zybane

A prior JK Unlimited Rubicon owner and I just got rid of my RAM Power Wagon. I was honestly not that impressed with the Power Wagon, it was way too heavy and large for a lot of stuff.

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a Rubicon Diesel with the following specs:

GLADIATOR RUBICON 4X4
3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel Engine
Sarge Green Clear Coat (black wheel flares)
Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats Black/Dark Saddle
Advanced Safety Group
Auxiliary Switch Group
Cold Weather Group
Safety Group
Mopar Doors Off Mirror Kit
LED Lighting Group
Steel Front Bumper
Trail Rail Management System
Integrated Off-Road Camera
Trailer Tow Package
Body Color 3-Piece Hard Top
Gorilla glass windshield

My project is for a modified, enclosed overlanding rig that is capable enough to do the Rubicon trail without serious butt clenching. I also do quite a bit of highway driving for overlanding/visiting family, so would prefer a suspension/steering that isn't wobbly all over the road. I have two dogs and I like to camp inside the vehicle. Roof top tents are not an option or anything I desire. I don't do any heavy mud or deep water stuff.

My plan is to get an ARE or similar bed cap (color matched in Sarge Green), remove the rear seats, cut out the rear bulkhead of the truck and glass area of the rear hard-top. Then use a rubber accordion style connection to weather seal the cabin and bed cap together. These rubber accordion bellows are what the semi industry uses. From some videos I've seen, even under full sway bar disconnected ramp flex, the bed only moves up to 1/8th of an inch relative twist to the cabin. Pretty stiff frame.

I'd install some insulation and probably carpet bed liner. I plan on installing a small, split A/C unit like truckers use, and a small RV type fan in the top of the bed cap. The bed cap will also have sliding windows for ventilation. I'll install a custom inverter, a small bank of lithium batteries (probably under the bed platform, where the rear seats used to be.) The inverter/charger will also be hooked up to the alternator to charge the batteries from the diesel engine. I also plan to do some amount of solar. A roof rack of some kind that covers the bed cap and the rear cabin cover of the Gladiator, which will now be permanently fixed. It will stop short of the front roof panels, as I still will want to take those off sometimes.

I'll have a small fridge/freezer and some built-in storage. I do all the work myself. Anyway, on to the vehicle build thoughts. I have a budget of about $20K-30K. These are my initial thoughts:

1. 17"x8.5" Hutchinson Rock Monster DOT approved Beadlocks.
2. 37" Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires. I've used these a lot before and really like their quietness/comfort with still good off-road capability. Any thoughts on the Ridge Grapplers vs the competition? I understand a 37" can fit the stock spare location with some finagling and/or modification of the rear sway bar?
3. Looking for a 2.5-3.5 inch lift. Nothing crazy. Was thinking AEV or Clayton. Who does the best now for a diesel Gladiator for off-road yet keep decent highway dynamics?
4. Artec industries full aluminum skid plates.
5. Axle/diff armor.
6. Rhinoline black wheel flares.
7. Warn ZEON 12-S PLATINUM WINCH. Will this fit steel Rubicon bumper? How good is the OEM Steel bumper considered? I understand you can take off the end caps. Is removing the end caps required with 37" tires?
8. Open to thoughts on the best rock rails/body protection.

Questions:
1. Wheel well liners a good idea?
2. Is there anything on the market to increase small diesel fuel tank size? Secondary tank?
3. I've already got a pull pal, hi-lift, air-compressor and Max traxx. I just need to find a way to store/mount them. Anyone have thoughts on rear hitch gear carrier for stuff like that and/or a bicycle?
4. What's the thoughts on the OEM rear bumper? I have all the tech packages so don't want to lose any OEM functionality.
5. Any thoughts on Green Diesel Engineering vs Banks Derringer tune? Are those too risky on OEM axles?
6. Any smart way to rip out the carpet and keep sound deadening? Are there any Vinyl kits? Carpet in a Jeep is idiotic, no idea why they put that crap in there.
7. Are the stock Rubicon brakes up to the task?
8. Any smart steering upgrades for a build like mine?
9. Any thoughts on Sunrider front for hardtop vs traditional hard-top panels? I'd imagine the Sunrider top lets in a lot more noise.
10. Half doors with uppers too much of a security risk and noise issue I'd imagine?
11. Something I'm forgetting missing? I'm sure.

I look forward to your guys thoughts on how you would kit out this build. I've got a decent budget and would like this truck to be pretty ************** for overlanding and decent rock crawling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior