Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

Started fiberglassing the interior of the shell this weekend. I had to flip it over to do the underside of the roof. I think it's still under 150lbs. The roof top tent is going to be challenging to make. I might have to make a mold to get what I want, or try a rib and skin, like the bottom.IMG_5299.JPGIMG_5363 2.JPGIMG_5365 2.JPGIMG_5366.JPGIMG_5368 2.JPGIMG_5369 2.JPGIMG_5371.JPGIMG_5372.JPG

Mules

I'm getting ready to build the roof top tent hard top. I want to use the fiberglass panels and ribs similar to the bottom shell, but the corners are a problem. I think I have a solution. Fiberglass a salad bowl. cut it in quarters, and I have the corners of the hard shell. I give this a 50/50 chance of working, but it's fun to experiment.IMG_5381 2.JPGIMG_5386.JPGIMG_5394.JPG

Mules

Since I have a plan for the corners, it's time to start the Roof Top Tent Hardtop. Below is a rough design, where I will build the frame first, and skin it with the fiberglass panels and corners. The blue tape shows the outline of the hardtop.IMG_5397.JPGIMG_5399.JPG

ITTOG

This is a pretty cool project. I am interested in doing some fiberglass work but haven't jumped into it yet due to concerns with the gel coating. That step just isn't something I'm excited about. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

rruff

Explorer
This is a pretty cool project. I am interested in doing some fiberglass work but haven't jumped into it yet due to concerns with the gel coating. That step just isn't something I'm excited about. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Paint it. Gelcoat is for people who use molds.

grogie

Like to Camp
I've been following along ... just wanted to mention impressive work! I can't wait to see it further come together, so thank you for sharing! (y)

Mules

I've been following along ... just wanted to mention impressive work! I can't wait to see it further come together, so thank you for sharing! (y)
Thanks, this and the Jeep Gladiator forum have been very helpful and supportive. It’s also nice to get feedback on the design.

Mules

Here’s a nice find for those that can’t leave the internet behind. I have a CMM grab bar ball mount with an IPad RAM mount. Works great for streaming videos (not while driving).
D70693FB-E83B-495D-BE6C-9AFD64D5D29D.jpegIMG_5477.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles