Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

84-4runner

Question about attaching the FRP panels. I noticed that the first were attached with screws, or did
you use screws and glue? Later on it appears that you stopped using the screws and just glue. Did
you find that the screws were not needed?
By the way I am impressed with your skill.

Mules

Question about attaching the FRP panels. I noticed that the first were attached with screws, or did
you use screws and glue? Later on it appears that you stopped using the screws and just glue. Did
you find that the screws were not needed?
By the way I am impressed with your skill.
Good catch. On the first FRPs I used gorilla glue and screws to hold the panels down until the glue dried. I then glassed the interior and removed the screws. It worked great, but I'm going to have to bondo fill and sand the dimples and holes left from the screws, before paint. The main reason I used screws was because my clamps couldn't reach the glue points.

The second time around on the top, I could reach most of the glue points with clamps, so I didn't have to use screws. I also am trying resin instead of gorilla glue. The resin is stronger, but the gorilla glue expands and fills gaps better. One of the problems with screw are that they leave dimples. If I use screws again, I will screw a board on for support to eliminate the dimples. That way there will be minimal bondo and sanding. I'm still going to fiberglass the inside for strength.

Thanks for the comment. This is a fun project for me.

Last edited:

Mules

These FRP panels are waterproof and somewhat UV resistant. I'll finish paint them to further protect them from UV. These are white polyester based fiberglass reinforced panels from Menards. Other hardware stores also stock this, but you want to be careful to make sure what the panels are made of. Basically these are the same material as fiberglass cloth with polyester resin, which is what I am using to reinforce the inside. Before I finish the outside, I will also grind, fiberglass, and sand down the few seams I have on the outside. My goal is to keep the outside as free of bodywork as possible, and so far it is working out pretty well. If I can get the outside as smooth as I want, I plan on painting it Crystal Granite to match my Gladiator. If I can't get it smooth enough, there's always the textured black most hardtop Jeeps have.

One note before anyone tries this though. The FRP sheets are pretty stiff and can only be bent so far before buckling. It will take some trial and error to find what radius works for your application. Good luck!

ITTOG

Given you are not planning to fiberglass on the outside of the shell, how do you plan to make it watertight?

PS It is looking great.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Is the part you are making and shown above going to be the actual roof you will mount on your truck OR a plug mold for the production of a much lighter fiberglass roof shell/part?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94