Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

86scotty

Cynic
I have tried neither but like both. Thanks for posting them. I used to use a lot of the more common RV type latches, catches and such but there a lot cheaper and probably better options on Amazon these days.

These, for instance, used to be my go to. (link below). I can't remember who made them but now there are tons of knock offs on Amazon. The ones you link above might be a cleaner choice.

1000arms

To keep things simple and light, I hinged the center platform leaf pictured below to swing up as a door to the cabinet. Otherwise I would have had to store it somewhere anyway. In the picture, you can see a silver magnetic catch to hold the door up. I bought it from Lowes, and it's not strong enough to keep the door closed when driving/bumping around. Before I buy a stronger magnet catch, do you guys have a better solution? One of my problems is that when the door is laid flat, I don't want a protruding catch mechanism sticking up, which you would lay on. Give me some ideas before I buy the catch below. Maybe bunge ball catches (I can't find them)?View attachment 752647View attachment 752646
Nylon shock cord, holes, and notches/slots are pretty cheap, especially if one already has the shock cord, which I think you do.

Cut a notch/slot in the door (maybe in the top middle, or maybe two notches/slots towards each end, or maybe one in each existing cutout).

Drill a hole big enough for the shock cord (but not a knot in the shock cord) in the back of the cabinet, feed the shock cord through and tie a knot as a stopper. Check for length needed to give you the tension on the door that you want. Plan for the door-notch/slot knot to use up some shock cord length, and plan on using a bit extra as an easy grab handle to help with closing the door and slipping the cord in to the notch/slot, with the knot keeping tension on the door.

dstefan

To keep things simple and light, I hinged the center platform leaf pictured below to swing up as a door to the cabinet. Otherwise I would have had to store it somewhere anyway. In the picture, you can see a silver magnetic catch to hold the door up. I bought it from Lowes, and it's not strong enough to keep the door closed when driving/bumping around. Before I buy a stronger magnet catch, do you guys have a better solution? One of my problems is that when the door is laid flat, I don't want a protruding catch mechanism sticking up, which you would lay on. Give me some ideas before I buy the catch below. Maybe bunge ball catches (I can't find them)?View attachment 752647View attachment 752646
1. Buy a round, flat Neodynium magnet about the size of a nickle (they’re all over Amazon) and way stronger than magnetic catches.
2. Buy or get out your Forstner bit thats slightly larger than the magnet. They are worth having if you don’t already.
3. Using Forstner bit drill a nice flat bottomed partial hole in the platform leaf to fit the magnet flush
4. Epoxy the magnet in the hole.
5. screw a small steel plate to the cabinet, or use the one you have.

Dont get too strong a magnet, though. They are usually rated in pounds of pull.

Mules

I had to do some trimming on the cabinet to make it fit in the camper. After some adjustments, my original magnet catch seems to be doing fine. Also applying stain and tung oil to the cabinet and counter.

IMG_7672.JPGIMG_7676.JPGIMG_7677.JPG

Mules

I’ve got plumbing! I can drain to the ground or add a second scepter tank for grey water. I used an existing hole in the bed, so no drilling.

2A4C23CC-AC28-4754-94E5-C8D072C31892.jpeg3BBA98A6-C411-46FF-B1E6-5E460B379C06.jpeg1D7C4935-F65D-4B49-844A-5C2F11D79DE4.jpegA4C7862B-644E-46AA-B981-F35EE67FF438.jpeg

Last edited:

Mules

Sleeping in the bottom of the camper is pretty tight, but there’s plenty of room in the top bed.
70CCADC6-54C6-42AB-8757-F526594A136A.jpegAA995F74-D3AD-4EE9-88EB-85AC2EC7D510.jpeg

Last edited:

Mules

Subject: Outdoor Overlanding Pants and Underwear for camping, hunting, hiking, and mountain biking.

I've been a little frustrated with my Mountain Biking clothes lately. My summer gear is good as I wear shorts, dirt bike jersey and protective equipment. It's a bit harder in the winter to find good fitting winter pants. I've tried a couple mountain biking dirt bike style pants, but I haven't been happy with them. They are usually too short for me and I look like a stuffed sausage.

So this morning it's in the low 20's (F) and I tried something different, my Fjall Raven pants. I did 9 miles of single track and these pants are really starting to impress me. They are bullet proof, comfortable, and I don't look like a sausage (I'm sporting a bit of a gut). They are now my weekend pants. I camp, hike, hunt, lay around the house, and now mountain bike in them. Only downside is they are pricey, so I hope they last a long time.

Second winter item that I can no longer live without is Merino Wool Underwear and Socks. I've tried a lot of winter and skiing wear. Nothing is better at keeping you warm and dry in the winter. My problem is I sweat a ton while skiing or biking in the winter. Somehow the Merino Wool never feels wet. You also don't overheat when you walk in a warm building in the winter. Great stuff but also expensive.

I may not look as cool as the other guys with their race jerseys, but I bet I'm a lot more comfortable.

Let us know if you have tried these or if you've found some other great winter gear!

IMG_7724.JPGIMG_7725.JPG

Ark

I'm guessing my winter riding is a little different then yours but here goes. For quite a few years I used to bike commute to work all year round in Alaska. Once the snow hit, I would ride the same mtb trails I rode in the summer....just with my fat bike on the snow. For a long time I wore merino boxers, softshell pants and various thickness baselayers depending on temp (also anticipated ride effort).

I have lately switched to cross-country ski pants (still with a baselayer). They typically have a wind-blocking layer in the front and are really well vented in the rear. Those have been working really well for keeping from getting too steamy while snow biking

If it looks like it's going to be pretty wet and sloppy/slushy/muddy while biking, I go back to the softshells.

If it's dry, no snow and 25F or above, I usually just wear shorts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles