Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
It looks really REALLY good on the truck. Glad it fit and it fits well still after all that work. That must have been a nail biting few minutes. heh

Well done.

Mules

It looks really REALLY good on the truck. Glad it fit and it fits well still after all that work. That must have been a nail biting few minutes. heh

Well done.
Thanks, I was a bit stressed, but everything seems to be working well. So far I've put a couple hundred miles on it driving around. No 4 wheeling yet.

It's funny, but I'm getting about 1/2 mile per gallon better fuel economy on the highway. I guess it has better aerodynamics than just the truck bed. Also, there is no wind noise from the top driving 70 mph.

It's also been doing fine driving in the rain. Nothing leaks, except for a few drips inside my back hatchback.

One other note is that the truck's A/C seems to handle the camper with no problem. It might not be the most efficient, but the truck's A/C keeps the camper cool even with the tent up (90 degrees outside, 72 inside). I wonder how much fuel my truck burns running on idle with the A/C on.
4A292D0E-4DA1-42E6-8BB5-7056F29167EA.jpeg

Last edited:

Mules

Fixed a couple small items today.

Finished a couple raw edges.

Added a bungee cord to pull in the tent when putting it down.

4709CD26-A13F-4A55-AE4D-1DAA37604EF5.jpeg7C29DB7D-5C22-414B-9B09-8FE24307256C.jpeg

Mules

I'm mocking up the interior with plywood and cardboard boxes. The tall box will be a storage cabinet, possibly with sink/stove on top. The bench will pull out and fold over the back seats of the Gladiator, making an "L" shaped bench. The frig is under the seat by the tailgate. Looks like I could seat four people with this layout.

IMG_7079.JPGIMG_7083.JPGIMG_7088.JPGIMG_7092.JPGIMG_7093.JPG

VanIsle_Greg

I like your use of CAD while designing the interior of the back (Cardboard Aided Design) as well as the Intense box. Are you a MTB enthusiast as well as an overland/jeep/pop-up camper one too? I just picked up a new e-bike recently, and am in love with the sport all over again.

Coming along nice, and that is a fair amount of space for such a small truck bed.

Mules

I like your use of CAD while designing the interior of the back (Cardboard Aided Design) as well as the Intense box. Are you a MTB enthusiast as well as an overland/jeep/pop-up camper one too? I just picked up a new e-bike recently, and am in love with the sport all over again.

Coming along nice, and that is a fair amount of space for such a small truck bed.
I'll have to steal the CAD joke!

Yep, I had to get a new Mountain Bike, just trying to keep up with my kid.

If I get tired, I can just have fun shuttling my kid to the top of the mountain!

IMG_3214.JPGIMG_3244.JPGIMG_3332.JPG

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I'll have to steal the CAD joke!

Yep, I had to get a new Mountain Bike, just trying to keep up with my kid.

If I get tired, I can just have fun shuttling my kid to the top of the mountain!

Nice! I have always had a soft spot for Intense Bikes. I used to freeride/downhill a LOT. Whistler and Mt Washington here on Vancouver Island were my go-to places all summer. I knew a few people with the M1 DH bikes. Super slick.

I picked up an e-bike this time around. I have a 2022 Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 Race. A LOT less travel than I am used to (both other bikes I have that are analog non-e-bike) have 6 and 7" travel. Hallway pic is the best I can muster now... just got it and did a tubeless setup with Cushcore inserts. Pretty stoked about those.

20220829_091345.jpg

My kids never really got into biking much, probably why I stepped away from it for so long. The shuttle pic looks epic!

Mules

Nice! I have always had a soft spot for Intense Bikes. I used to freeride/downhill a LOT. Whistler and Mt Washington here on Vancouver Island were my go-to places all summer. I knew a few people with the M1 DH bikes. Super slick.

I picked up an e-bike this time around. I have a 2022 Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 Race. A LOT less travel than I am used to (both other bikes I have that are analog non-e-bike) have 6 and 7" travel. Hallway pic is the best I can muster now... just got it and did a tubeless setup with Cushcore inserts. Pretty stoked about those.

View attachment 739618

My kids never really got into biking much, probably why I stepped away from it for so long. The shuttle pic looks epic!
Sweet bike. I like that you can't tell it's an ebike. I was thinking about getting a Specialized Levo, which looks similar to yours.

The pictures of me above are from Winter Park which is some of the best biking on the east side of the Rockies as well as some cool 4 wheeling. I hear Whistler is incredible. Touring the Northwest with the truck and bike are on my bucket list.

A couple more pics from Winter Park area around 12,000 ft elevation.IMG_3198.JPGIMG_3208.JPG

Last edited:

Mules

are those ammo dump bags on the back of your seats?
Good eye! They are great little trash cans for the truck, or holding big water/gator aid bottles after a bike ride. I'm always using them. They come in handy for my AR and 12 gage also:)

Last edited:

pith helmet

Good eye! They are great little trash cans for the truck, or hold big water/gator aid bottles after a bike ride. I'm always using them. They come in handy for my AR and 12 gage also:)
I had considered using them for easy access storage in the Jeep. Nice set up.

Mules

This reminds me that I want my camper furniture easily removable so I can haul things in my truck.

I’m starting the interior furniture. It’s going to be light, simple, and comfortable.

48AEF22B-836F-43A5-A87F-3CBD06D13DC0.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier