Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

That’s beautiful work. Looking forward to seeing it on the truck.
The punch list is getting shorter.

Finish hatchback
Add weatherstripping to hatch and truck boundary
Mount outside pull handles for pop top
Sew and mount headliner for pop top
Finish/strengthen the wood scissor lift/rack
Mount on Gladiator!

After that it's useable to sleep in, but it's not done.
Then it's time to outfit the interior.

pigsammy

Very nice idea on the scissor lit!
If the legs were paired two inside and two outside, cross bracing could be added between the inner legs to support the load crossmember and also help prevent racking of the frame while still allowing folding. The two outside legs could be toward the Gladiator for a little (3") extra clearance. Cross bracing on the top longer edge of the outer legs would also still allow folding flush, like folding chairs.

I love checking this thread for updates. It seems there are constantly great ideas and inspirations popping up.

Well done.

Mules

Very nice idea on the scissor lit!
If the legs were paired two inside and two outside, cross bracing could be added between the inner legs to support the load crossmember and also help prevent racking of the frame while still allowing folding. The two outside legs could be toward the Gladiator for a little (3") extra clearance. Cross bracing on the top longer edge of the outer legs would also still allow folding flush, like folding chairs.

I love checking this thread for updates. It seems there are constantly great ideas and inspirations popping up.

Well done.
Thanks for the advise and I love this thread also. I'm not so sure I would have taken on this project without the encouragement and support of these forums. It's also very rewarding to try new ideas, even if sometimes they don't work.

The scissor lift currently has two problems:

It's too light weight and wobbly under load.
The geometry is off, and the lifting ratchets don't work as good as I'd hoped. I should shorten the length, to increase the leverage of the ratchets.

Mules

I braced the scissor lift and added a few more boards. It’s working good enough now. If I did it over I would have used all 2x6’s instead of the 1x6’s, and shortened the length. But hey, it was built from a free pallet, so no big deal. The four corners have removable braces/stabilizers, for when it's in the low position.

0EB142C0-8A0F-4E44-9753-C2FB4698749A.jpeg

Last edited:

Mules

Mounted the pull handles on the pop top and put on the rebuilt Lexan hatchback (cracked the first one made of acrylic). I'm leaving on the protective plastic film until I'm done. I learned my lesson last time after adding a couple scratches.

If I keep working in my garage, I'll have to figure out how to air condition it. Man it's hot and humid today.

IMG_6885.JPGIMG_6890.JPGIMG_6889.JPGIMG_6892.JPGIMG_6893.JPG

Mules

Just wanted to share a couple other small Jeep accessories. I really like my med kit and ammo molle bags I added to the back of the seats. I always need bandaids and meds when playing in the woods, and the ammo bags make a great small trash can or water bottle holders.E45827E2-C6B0-4D91-A64F-805CF91FC65A.jpeg4A20BC94-DFC8-4550-816D-E39AAF63CF2D.jpeg

Mules

Alright, I looked at a ton of wall hanging storage bags for my camper wall storage. I looked at overloading options, backpacks, wheel chair backpacks, duffle bags and more. This one looks to be pretty heavy duty. It even has velcro on the back which will stick to my carpeted walls nicely. I placed my order:)

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 6.27.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 6.33.24 AM.png

Last edited:

Mules

I might have to buy one for the other side. If I don’t put food cans in them, the Velcro back will probably hold them in place just fine. The velcro sticks very good to the carpeted inside. They also have straps just in case or I can screw their backboards to the wall.

68E88A7A-5C2F-4E17-AF0F-BF24C88D25ED.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online