Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

I'll have to update the photoshop picture below. I increased the height of the Roof Top Section from 8" to 16". I'm going for enough headroom inside to move around or even camp without raising the roof. I'm building the final shell, and not a mold.Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 6.31.40 AM.png

Mules

Before you git to far along why not make a mold of your top? Never know what the future will bring?
If this prototype works out, I could always make a mold from this original. You apply mold release to the original's surface and fiberglass over it to make negative's. You pop off the negative mold and strengthen it with reinforcement. You then have a mold that you can copy the original with. The downside is that the original will probably get messed up making the mold. It's nice hearing that people are interested in the design. Maybe I'll find some customers.

rruff

Explorer
....OR a plug mold for the production of a much lighter fiberglass roof shell/part?

I think the best way to do that would be to start with XPS or other foam that you could carve and shape to your heart's desire. If you want light (and insulated) it's best to have a double wall with a foam core. Fiberglass is not very stiff... even the optimized vacuum or infusion type with stitched cloth. Strength/weight is good, but not stiffness/weight. A carbonfiber layup (same thickness) will be ~3x stiffer, and a little bit stronger and lighter.

Mules

I think the best way to do that would be to start with XPS or other foam that you could carve and shape to your heart's desire. If you want light (and insulated) it's best to have a double wall with a foam core. Fiberglass is not very stiff... even the optimized vacuum or infusion type with stitched cloth. Strength/weight is good, but not stiffness/weight. A carbonfiber layup (same thickness) will be ~3x stiffer, and a little bit stronger and lighter.
Now that would be beautiful. I'd love to see a camper with black carbon fiber layup inside and out, where you could see the carbon through the resin. Light, strong, and insulated.

rruff

Explorer
Now that would be beautiful. I'd love to see a camper with black carbon fiber layup inside and out, where you could see the carbon through the resin. Light, strong, and insulated.

I decided against using carbon on mine except for the base/floor... I needed that to be strong and stiff. Could have used it in the whole thing though, since it wasn't that much more money in the grand scheme of things... if you get one of the two inexpensive carbon cloths I found. But... I was leary of leaving the upper parts unpainted, and there wasn't any point if it was covered. Carbon is actually not as good at surviving impact as FG is (according to my whack with a hammer tests), and FG is usually stiff enough for camper sandwich panels.

If you have a highly shaped exterior it becomes a little tricky to make a foam core sandwich. Probably the best way would be to CNC the foam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94