Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

86scotty

Cynic
I have tried neither but like both. Thanks for posting them. I used to use a lot of the more common RV type latches, catches and such but there a lot cheaper and probably better options on Amazon these days.

These, for instance, used to be my go to. (link below). I can't remember who made them but now there are tons of knock offs on Amazon. The ones you link above might be a cleaner choice.

1000arms

To keep things simple and light, I hinged the center platform leaf pictured below to swing up as a door to the cabinet. Otherwise I would have had to store it somewhere anyway. In the picture, you can see a silver magnetic catch to hold the door up. I bought it from Lowes, and it's not strong enough to keep the door closed when driving/bumping around. Before I buy a stronger magnet catch, do you guys have a better solution? One of my problems is that when the door is laid flat, I don't want a protruding catch mechanism sticking up, which you would lay on. Give me some ideas before I buy the catch below. Maybe bunge ball catches (I can't find them)?View attachment 752647View attachment 752646
Nylon shock cord, holes, and notches/slots are pretty cheap, especially if one already has the shock cord, which I think you do.

Cut a notch/slot in the door (maybe in the top middle, or maybe two notches/slots towards each end, or maybe one in each existing cutout).

Drill a hole big enough for the shock cord (but not a knot in the shock cord) in the back of the cabinet, feed the shock cord through and tie a knot as a stopper. Check for length needed to give you the tension on the door that you want. Plan for the door-notch/slot knot to use up some shock cord length, and plan on using a bit extra as an easy grab handle to help with closing the door and slipping the cord in to the notch/slot, with the knot keeping tension on the door.

dstefan

To keep things simple and light, I hinged the center platform leaf pictured below to swing up as a door to the cabinet. Otherwise I would have had to store it somewhere anyway. In the picture, you can see a silver magnetic catch to hold the door up. I bought it from Lowes, and it's not strong enough to keep the door closed when driving/bumping around. Before I buy a stronger magnet catch, do you guys have a better solution? One of my problems is that when the door is laid flat, I don't want a protruding catch mechanism sticking up, which you would lay on. Give me some ideas before I buy the catch below. Maybe bunge ball catches (I can't find them)?View attachment 752647View attachment 752646
1. Buy a round, flat Neodynium magnet about the size of a nickle (they’re all over Amazon) and way stronger than magnetic catches.
2. Buy or get out your Forstner bit thats slightly larger than the magnet. They are worth having if you don’t already.
3. Using Forstner bit drill a nice flat bottomed partial hole in the platform leaf to fit the magnet flush
4. Epoxy the magnet in the hole.
5. screw a small steel plate to the cabinet, or use the one you have.

Dont get too strong a magnet, though. They are usually rated in pounds of pull.

Mules

I had to do some trimming on the cabinet to make it fit in the camper. After some adjustments, my original magnet catch seems to be doing fine. Also applying stain and tung oil to the cabinet and counter.

IMG_7672.JPGIMG_7676.JPGIMG_7677.JPG

Mules

Over the river and through the woods to Grandmothers house we go (Thanksgiving). I used to drive across this as a kid. Now as one of the only remaining covered bridges left in Missouri, it’s blocked off as a historic site.

6E9BAEB5-FD11-4C41-81AC-CE0E37DAAF7A.jpegC64F45BC-E93A-466F-8A77-920C55AA5C98.jpeg

Last edited:

Mules

Sleeping in the bottom of the camper is pretty tight, but there’s plenty of room in the top bed.
70CCADC6-54C6-42AB-8757-F526594A136A.jpegAA995F74-D3AD-4EE9-88EB-85AC2EC7D510.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ricjames81