Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have both the Victron and that Renogy MPPT (not the DC to DC) you posted earlier. I like Renogy controllers, but I love the Victron. The app for the Renogy gear is, well... not that great. It is not terrible, but it leaves out some functionality and is clunky. The Victron app is excellent and their controllers are very good... in pretty much all aspects. I like the Victron so much I just picked up another to put into my camper in place of the Renogy. Again nothing against the Renogy hardware, but it is big, bulky and requires external Bluetooth adapters. The Victron I have (both MPPT 75 15) are 1.4 the size and have integrated BT. Plus the app is much more responsive and useful.

Flexible solar panels are very light and compact, and go around curves, but I understand that they are less efficient (heat?).

Personally I am looking at a 100AH LiPo as well... my AGM is toast already. Lots of good ones out there with solid BMS with low and high temp protection as well as great built in apps. As pretty much everyone stated, Will Prose is a great resource.

Looking good outside the basement!

Mules

Lithium Starter batteries are getting much better. Both Dakota Lithium and Antigravity sell them and have improved greatly over the last ten years. The key is to buy a Lithium battery with a BMS (Battery Management System) specifically designed for the alternator in your vehicle, or you will need to include a DC DC charger. Be careful, there are still some temperature restrictions and charging restrictions by replacing your stock starter battery with a Lithium. Here's a Jeep JL owner that sounds happy with a Lithium starting battery. He lives in Kansas and has Antigravity starter batteries in both his JL and Grand Cherokee.

Does anyone else have experience with these Lithium Starter/Deep Cycle batteries?

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 9.22.27 PM.png

Mules

Well I just talked to Antigravity about their Lithium Starter Batteries. They have a couple sizes and Amp Hour batteries that will work in the Gladiator that is an OEM replacement. 5 year warranty and it should work fine in St. Louis's climate year round as well as my few cold ski trips to Colorado. They are out of stock now, but I'll probably buy one later this year. Their 80 AH starter battery should be able to handle my fridge and light accessories for 2-3 days without driving. The battery management system will reserve enough battery power to start the truck, if needed.

If it doesn't work, I can't say you guys didn't warn me. I guess I'll be the guinea pig .

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 4.53.11 PM.png

I also bought a kit to wire into my fuse box that allows continuous power to my 12 v cigarette lighter. Pretty simple way to have continuous power for my fridge. I'll later run a couple permanent power lines off my auxiliary switches to the back of the truck.

IMG_6544.JPG

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
MAN that looks good! My 2014 Ram is the same colour, and I love it. I want to paint my aluminum camper the same colour as the dressed aluminum took a beating in a wind storm a couple of years ago (broken bungee cord) and it looks like hell. Might need to bust out my spray guns and painting kit again. heh

Nice work!

Andrew_S

Observer
Looks unreal with paint, awesome work.

Another vote for Victron products, no issues with my battery monitor or dc/dc charger to date. Would buy a lithium battery from them as well if they came out with a 100amp at a reasonable price point.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Maybe I missed it.

What did this end up weighing and how much heavier is your modified top versus the stock top you started with?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94