Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

ITTOG

@ITTOG pointed out a great hack! You can power your fridge or Jackery, from your 7pin trainer plug. 7 pin trailer plugs have a power pin to drive trailer brakes or small camper batteries.

This plugs into the 7pin plug and has cigarette plug for your fridge.

View attachment 719802
That works, or build your own. I wanted mine to work while I was towing my trailer.

ba265dfb76df1f2df5581ddb94d7d59d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Mules

Since I have a curve/bend in my top I was thinking about a flexible solar panel, like the one below. It would also be very low profile and adhere directly to the top. Does anyone have experience with flexible solar panels?

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 5.44.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-02 at 5.31.10 PM.png

Last edited:

Phreak480

Army Guy
I have flexible panels on my RV (came with them from the factory) and don't have any complaints. Just be aware they have less output than their hard framed siblings.

1000arms

Please, no one tell my wife there's an overloading washing machine available!

View attachment 720493
:unsure: ... That doesn't look like a 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma Seal, mounted on a roof-rack, just waiting to be driven over rough-roads or trails. ... :cool:

Mules

Alright, here's my idea on a solar/power system. It's a lot cheaper ($1,100) than a Jackery, can permanently fit on my small top, and should have plenty of power for a fridge, microwave and blender for those margaritas and nachos on rainy days!

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 7.08.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-07 at 7.11.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-07 at 7.39.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-07 at 7.24.02 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-08 at 7.26.23 AM.png

Last edited:

97heavyweight

Have you fitted the camper to the truck and driven around yet to see how it does with the flex? I know on a tacoma the bed flexes quite a bit more than you may suspect. If it were me personally i'd test that before putting more time and money into it.

As far as the above setup goes. Do you not care about charging with your alternator? If you want that you will need a DC to DC charge controller. I picked up Renogy's 30amp DC to DC charge controller and it works great.

For the battery i recommend buy once, cry once. I wish that is what i had done. I'm right now limping along an 220ah AGM. As long as I have good weather and or drive every day it is fine.

Mules

Have you fitted the camper to the truck and driven around yet to see how it does with the flex? I know on a tacoma the bed flexes quite a bit more than you may suspect. If it were me personally i'd test that before putting more time and money into it.

As far as the above setup goes. Do you not care about charging with your alternator? If you want that you will need a DC to DC charge controller. I picked up Renogy's 30amp DC to DC charge controller and it works great.

For the battery i recommend buy once, cry once. I wish that is what i had done. I'm right now limping along an 220ah AGM. As long as I have good weather and or drive every day it is fine.
Thanks for the response.

1) I've heard from a couple Tacoma owners talk about bed twist. I love Toyota, as a former Landcruiser and Tundra owner myself. I've read a couple articles that say Toyota achieves some of the best 4 wheeling capability by allowing the bed to twist. Also I understand that some Tacoma beds are composite, instead of steal, and I'm not sure if this adds to the twist. Jeep, on the other hand intentionally tries to limit frame twist. The rock crawling world created frame stiffeners for the old TJs and JKs. Also the Jeep JL frame uses a stronger type of steel to achieve 18% stronger frame than it's predecessor the JK. When I did my own frame flex testing, I was surprised to only get 3/8" of twist from the JT. Although I didn't measure it, my old Tundra looked like it twisted inches. I will take your advice and do some testing before I disconnect the sway bars and go for full articulation.

2 & 3) The DC to DC charger would work pretty good if I team it up with a fast charging LiPO battery. There's some 100AH LiPOs that can recharge in 2 hours. Like you said, if you go wheeling once in a while, you could get away without solar. There's a lot of choices. Solar charging or Alternator charging or big enough battery to last, or all the above? Looks like I need to increase my budget:)

Last edited:

Mules

Another thought about electric vs. propane.

Southern rigs, (Australian African, Texas and Baja) have plenty of sun making solar/electric a great option. Northern rigs (Rocky Mountains, Canadian) are pretty concerned about heating, making propane or diesel a great option. This leaves this Midwestern boy confused. ?

97heavyweight

So for me as someone living in the PNW. I have 2 100w solar panels on the roof. Those feed into a Renogy 30amp dc to dc charge controller. Then my starter battery also feeds into the dc to dc charge controller so I can charge with the alternator or solar. When in camp my system loads will use both the starter and house battery until 12.8V then the charge controller will isolate the starter battery and house battery. I have a write up on my thread about it as well as a diagram. I went camping this weekend and with my fridge and both fans running all night I dropped to 12.4V and by 845am my battery was at 14.6V. Before this winter I will be upgrading my battery to a heated battle born lithium ion 100ah battery.

dstefan

FWIW, I’m running a 100ah Battleborn house battery powering LED lights, ARB 50 qt, device charging, Maxxair fan, and a 12v heating pad for my back. I went with a National Luna power pack to house it as I wanted easily removable. Ive never dropped below 80% and the 25amp DCDC charger in the Powerpack charges it incredibly fast. Ive quit carrying my 100 watt solar panel unless I know I’ll be somewhere for 4-5 days stationary , which is nearly never.

Think you should look at a DCDC charger over solar. Much more reliable and effecient.

Edit: Mario at ATOverland is a big proponent of the National Luna DcDc chargers and specs them in his builds. I see why after a years experience with it.

Last edited:

Mules

FWIW, I’m running a 100ah Battleborn house battery powering LED lights, ARB 50 qt, device charging, Maxxair fan, and a 12v heating pad for my back. I went with a National Luna power pack to house it as I wanted easily removable. Ive never dropped below 80% and the 25amp DCDC charger in the Powerpack charges it incredibly fast. Ive quit carrying my 100 watt solar panel unless I know I’ll be somewhere for 4-5 days stationary , which is nearly never.

Think you should look at a DCDC charger over solar. Much more reliable and effecient.

Edit: Mario at ATOverland is a big proponent of the National Luna DcDc chargers and specs them in his builds. I see why after a years experience with it.
National Luna has some pretty well thought out products.

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 6.49.44 PM.png

Last edited:

Mules

They do. I’d also point out you can just use their DCDC charger without the expense and ports, etc of the the power pack.
Would you recommend the NLDC25 or NLDC 40 (25 or 40 amp)? I think this depends on the battery charging rate. Does 25amp sound right for a 100AH LiPO battery and 40amp for 200AH LiPOs? Also Redarc looks a bit cheaper, any opinions?

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 6.31.33 AM.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles