Gladiator pop top from AT Overland

Interesting and clean design. I’d seen the GFC renderings around but this is the first other I’ve seen. Very similar in design style as far as the form of it goes.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Yes sorry not up and running yet. I thought I would have my proto done but had some issues with supplies. Soon though. Thanks
Kevin

No need to apologize...maybe just put a splash-page up with an image such as the one in this thread and say "coming soon" so people don't think you have let your domain lapse. Just a suggestion. :)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
When my hardsided diy poptopper kits come out they will be easy to adapt.. Designed more for trucks but here is a rendering.
KevinView attachment 539909

How are you planning on lifting the front portion of the camper? That is a long reach. Not sure what your lifting mechanism is, but it will need to be pretty robust to lift the front of camper in your renderings. By the way, I like the rendering and the "balance" of the package.

I can see why AT went with the clamshell as that eliminates trying to get the front portion of the camper lifted and of course trying to figure out how to drop it. Not saying I prefer clamshell versus straight lift, because I don't. I've had a FWC Hawk and now a Bundutec and both of which are straight lift (just different ways of getting there).

Jack

The Artisan

Adventurer
Jack,
It opens in one motion. If you pull down on the support bar on the 8 foot (think of a rectangle) side it lifts it straight up. The topper is only 170lbs
Kevin
www.instagram.com/compositepods
for working scale model
first gen 4runner rendering, will be on my 86
20190504_124819.jpg

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Thanks for sharing Kerouac. I like the slant pop tops on trucks with the liftable bed but it seems really odd to me that they would put drawers at floor level where you have to climb over them (after already hopping up on the tailgate) to get up there. Seems like a lot better idea to put cabinets on either side with an open center.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I find these type of camper shells a bit odd, and I'm still not sure how I feel about them.

I think the slant top is a positive, because you can position it against the wind. But the space within the shell itself is almost always largely wasted, or it has an impractical layout for living. However... that makes the shell positively excellent for a day to day use vehicle, because it is basically a standard shell.

It's also substantially cheaper than a four wheel camper set up, but its a large compromise on livability and comfort for extended travel.

shade

Thanks for sharing Kerouac. I like the slant pop tops on trucks with the liftable bed but it seems really odd to me that they would put drawers at floor level where you have to climb over them (after already hopping up on the tailgate) to get up there. Seems like a lot better idea to put cabinets on either side with an open center.
I have a GFC camper with a Decked drawer system, and I use a collapsible step stool to reach the tailgate; no hopping.
Works fine for me, but I'd suggest anyone considering such a set up to give it a try first.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I have a GFC camper with a Decked drawer system, and I use a collapsible step stool to reach the tailgate; no hopping.
Works fine for me, but I'd suggest anyone considering such a set up to give it a try first.

How do you like your GFC? I assume the features are comparable to the one listed here?

My primary concern is dust proofing. I've spoken to the owner of this Jeep, and though he says the topper is dust proof, the Jeep tailgate is another story entirely. How did you manage dust proofing yours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles