Gladiator - Good/Bad?

85_Ranger4x4

Haha! An 18 wheeler would be impressive but maybe a hard to daily drive?

I started shopping Rangers and Gladiators but ended up going fullsize because I could get a bigger more roomy truck for similar money that could haul and tow more.

Even the OP of this thread must be cross shopping mid and full size trucks.
He has another thread comparing the 2.7 vs 3.5 vs 5.0 in the F150. So he must be considering both trucks?

For a lot of mid size trucks, they get similar MPG and can cost the same.... (back when big rebates could be applied to half tons)
So, I think it's fair to compare both segments depending on your intended use.

Agreed.

Once we get past kids in car seats I wouldn't mind a Gladiator. I do wish they could poke a 5.7 in one though (if a 6.4 fits in a Wrangler come on...)

I like the size and feel of them better than a fullsize for daily driving. Fullsizes keeping getting more "full".

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Agreed.

Once we get past kids in car seats I wouldn't mind a Gladiator. I do wish they could poke a 5.7 in one though (if a 6.4 fits in a Wrangler come on...)

I like the size and feel of them better than a fullsize for daily driving. Fullsizes keeping getting more "full".
Once they get out of car seats, their legs get longer....

But not long enough that their feet touch the floor so they like to jab the back of your seat with their feet....

So more rear seat room for them is nicer for you if they can't reach your seat..... ;)

85_Ranger4x4

Once they get out of car seats, their legs get longer....

But not long enough that their feet touch the floor so they like to jab the back of your seat with their feet....

So more rear seat room for them is nicer for you if they can't reach your seat..... ;)

Everything is in Flux, I thought it would get better when he went front facing but I think it actually got worse.

I am 6-3 and can fit somewhat comfortably behind my wife in our Bronco, gladiators look similar for rear room. I am going to keep my F-150 for awhile, he would be like 8 before I am ready to move on.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I am 6-3 and can fit somewhat comfortably behind my wife in our Bronco, gladiators look similar for rear room. I am going to keep my F-150 for awhile, he would be like 8 before I am ready to move on.
Right. You can fit behind her comfortably.... I'm assuming sitting like a normal human being.
Now sit behind her like a 6 year old and see how fast your wife kicks you out of the back.... :ROFLMAO:

teen-airplane-today-170509-tease.jpg

Last edited:

Wakeup2river

2021 Gladiator one 1-day warranty repair that’s it. Combined my Tundra and JK into the Gladiator and really like it. It so nice in trips to have the extra room for stuff and be able to really 4 wheel. I have the ARE shell which I love. It’s been a super truck. LOL Read any forum and you won’t buy anything, its mostly complaints or people looking for solutions.

If we get a 1 ton with a pop up we will probably go back to a small jeep but for now it’s great and 3 other friends have since bought them including one diesel and are very happy.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
i would buy that today if they sold it. make it a standard and we got a deal.

yep but if you want a pickup, a two door, a clutch, a Jeep.... I like this option.

View attachment 763465

Clutches are virtually gone today because we cannot match the economy, clean air, efficiency of a computer controlled automatic. Or the power that computer unleashes. Modern engines need computers to control all the advantages they deliver. Me, my next 4x4 will have a carburetor because I hate electronics and limp mode and I have no need for 367HP from 2L.... I really am happy with 112HP from 258 Cubic Inches.... and a clutch.
Or what about a JK8 conversion or a LJ with a half cab? Or the AEV Brute?
2011-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-JK8-front-three-quarter1.jpg
phoca_thumb_l_1j4fa49s54p790793-2.jpg

16839.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
yep but if you want a pickup, a two door, a clutch, a Jeep.... I like this option.

View attachment 763465

Clutches are virtually gone today because we cannot match the economy, clean air, efficiency of a computer controlled automatic. Or the power that computer unleashes. Modern engines need computers to control all the advantages they deliver. Me, my next 4x4 will have a carburetor because I hate electronics and limp mode and I have no need for 367HP from 2L.... I really am happy with 112HP from 258 Cubic Inches.... and a clutch.

I was with you until the carb comment. Trading one problem for another ?
Especially for me, where it was 1 deg this morning. Messing with the choke every morning, crap mileage, no power. I could probably handle it on a trail-only rig but not for a daily.
But 100% agreed on the over abundance of electronics in today’s vehicles.

85_Ranger4x4

I was with you until the carb comment. Trading one problem for another ?
Especially for me, where it was 1 deg this morning. Messing with the choke every morning, crap mileage, no power. I could probably handle it on a trail-only rig but not for a daily.
But 100% agreed on the over abundance of electronics in today’s vehicles.

Nah, my carbed truck does fine by me.

I have mulled a TBI conversion for hillclimbs/off camber and elevation changes. I haven't had an issue yet but I know there are situations where I will.

Cold, dd duty, power, mpg... no complaints.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
There is another choice, the J8 built for the military in Egypt... 5 cylinder diesel, 5 speed automatic, D60 rear end, 2000# plus payload, 16K# plus towing ability.... They also make an armoured ballistic 4 door. 10 years ago there was a video of how well armoured it was..... it was incredible how invincible it was. Plus it'll run thru a desert sandstorm... without a snorkel.

This will outperform ANY retail truck sold to us in North America.

View attachment 763992

I saw a few of these in Africa, plus the one AEV Dave has, plus the one the Quadratec guys had a Moab one year.
Rumour has it there are a few getting around Calgary too.

It just has the 2.8 CRD 4-cyl diesel from VM that was in the export JK in basically every country outside North America.
Fun fact, that same engine has been for sale lately in a few US pickup trucks, they just re-branded it :)

-Dan

Jay61

I've been following all the Jeep forums for a couple years now...I have a 2006 Rubicon and want to get something newer. Not going to happen...there are so many posts of people with brand spanking new Wranglers with major problems that it scares me. Brand new Jeeps with terrible death wobble, but the main problem is electrical gremlins. Jeeps just plain shutting down while driving. All the new Jeeps have the auto start-stop feature which includes two batteries. One of the batteries is hidden and difficult to get to - yet it goes bad early, and when it does, the Jeep becomes undriveable.

How'd you like to be out in the middle of nowhere, and have this message come up in your dash?
View attachment 752022
There are a number fixes for this. I put the Genesis Dual Battery system in mine and did away with the battery issue. You can bypass the auto stop/start also.

Jay61

What’s funny is he is right. History has shown all things equal a Chrysler is a turd compared to a Toyota when it comes to quality. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t buy a gladiator though.
The history I have seen is that if you never leave the pavement Toyotas are more reliable, but once you start putting them offroad they have more that breaks simply due to the fact they are not as beefy as Jeeps. I have seen more Toyotas on the side of trails with issues than Jeeps, even in areas where you have 5 to 10 Jeeps per Toyota. IFS just cannot take the abuse that the solid axles can. That is not mentioning the "belly up" Toyotas you might encounter on the more technical trails we sometimes like to travel. I would also point out that YouTube has been flooded with Jeep vs Toyota videos posted by Toyota guys complaining just about this issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles