Gladiator - Good/Bad?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Everybody's experiences differ. The two worst vehicles I ever owned were an 80 series Land Cruiser and a Jeep TJ.
Doesn't mean I wouldn't own another Jeep or Toyota again though. Just that those 2 specific vehicles were POS's.

D45

Explorer
I guess I am considering "downsizing" from a full size truck, my Silverado

I need the bed space and I like that that Gladiator bed is 5' long. My Silverado has a 5'8" bed, so I'm not losing much

Gladiator is 218.10" long
Silverado is 230.00" long

Silverado width is 80.00"
Gladiator width is 73.80"

Gladiator Bed:
60" long
Max width is 56.80"
Between wheel wells is 44.80"

Silverado bed:
69" long (+9")
Max width is 64.60" (+7.80")
Between wheel wells is 51.03" (+6.23")

When I do tow, most loads are well under 5,000 pounds

What size gas tank comes in the Gladiator? One size only?

Engine power I guess is another concern, since I would love to run 35s or 37s

My 5.3L V8 Silverado:

355 horsepower @ 5,600 rpm
383 lb-ft of torque @ 4,100 rpm
8 speed transmission (8L90)
3.42 gears

D45

Explorer
I like the solid front axle and coils, the coils are pretty smooth compared to leaves

I lifted four of my friend's Jeeps and installing lift kits is very easy in a few hours

GATORB8

I guess I am considering "downsizing" from a full size truck, my Silverado

I need the bed space and I like that that Gladiator bed is 5' long. My Silverado has a 5'8" bed, so I'm not losing much

Gladiator is 218.10" long
Silverado is 230.00" long

Silverado width is 80.00"
Gladiator width is 73.80"

Gladiator Bed:
60" long
Max width is 56.80"
Between wheel wells is 44.80"

Silverado bed:
69" long (+9")
Max width is 64.60" (+7.80")
Between wheel wells is 51.03" (+6.23")

When I do tow, most loads are well under 5,000 pounds

What size gas tank comes in the Gladiator? One size only?

Engine power I guess is another concern, since I would love to run 35s or 37s

My 5.3L V8 Silverado:

355 horsepower @ 5,600 rpm
383 lb-ft of torque @ 4,100 rpm
8 speed transmission (8L90)
3.42 gears
We have a Ram 1500 and a JL Wrangler that the JT Gladiator is based off of.

The Gladiator would be by far the superior wheeling platform compared to a 1500 with what we do. Easier and cheaper to modify as well.

Here's what keeps me from swapping the Ram for a Gladiator, it's not the bed or outside dimensions, its the interior space. While I wouldn't call the Jeep cab uncomfortable, it is cramped in comparison to a full size.

Unfortunately, the JT engine options are limited compared to the JL Wrangler. Unless it's recently changed, you can only do the 3.6L or the ED. I will say the 8 speed ZF is a great trans, though. You'll want to address power/tires with regearing.

Another major issue with the JT is cost, the damn thing cost as much as a better equipped crew cab 1500 when loaded up.

86scotty

Cynic
Guys it seems like this is diverting onto a useless debate Jeep vs Toyota....

Did you expect something different? Any thread on any vehicle eventually turns in to a comparison/war/debate/bloodbath with Toyota.

I'll do my part to divert back to Jeep. We have a 21 Wrangler Willys 2.0l (4cyl turbo). Makes the same power as a 3.6 but is quicker and way more fuel efficient. I would consider a Gladiator more if Jeep put this engine in it. I have no idea why they don't.

Too much truck for a 4 cyl? That's a laugh. I like big engines like we all do but it's not about the engine with a Gladiator. It's a mid sized truck at best. Offer the superb 4 cylinder with less payload and they will still sell since no-one hauls anything with a Gladiator anyway, at least no more than a camper shell or overland jewelry.

GATORB8

Did you expect something different? Any thread on any vehicle eventually turns in to a comparison/war/debate/bloodbath with Toyota.

I'll do my part to divert back to Jeep. We have a 21 Wrangler Willys 2.0l (4cyl turbo). Makes the same power as a 3.6 but is quicker and way more fuel efficient. I would consider a Gladiator more if Jeep put this engine in it. I have no idea why they don't.

Too much truck for a 4 cyl? That's a laugh. I like big engines like we all do but it's not about the engine with a Gladiator. It's a mid sized truck at best. Offer the superb 4 cylinder with less payload and they will still sell since no-one hauls anything with a Gladiator anyway, at least no more than a camper shell or overland jewelry.
From what I've read, it was a challenge for them to accommodate the increased cooling required to increase the towing capacity in the JT over the JL (cooling being a part of the standardized rating). I'd assume the added cooling requirements of a turbocharged engine and design cost to engineer another system are why they don't add the 2.0L to the JT.

jeepers29

3.6L V6
285 hp @ 6400 rpm
260 tq @ 440p rpm

3.0L V6 Diesel
260hp @ 3600 rpm
442 tq @ 1400 rpm

Does the diesel get any drivetrain upgrades from the factory with handle the added weight and power?

What is the factory gearing options for the Gladiator?
Sorry, I just saw your question. It looks like you got the answers you were looking for.

Mules

Love your camper. Do you have a thread on Gladiator forum about DIY camper?
Yes, I have threads on ExpeditionPortal.com and Jeep Gladiator Forum.

jeepers29

Yes, I have threads on ExpeditionPortal.com and Jeep Gladiator Forum.

I thought that was the same setup. Such an awesome job you did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles