Gladiator - Good/Bad?

D45

Explorer
How is the Gladiator holding up and being reliable?

Any known issues with the transmissions?

Any known issues with the engines?

4cy, V6, Diesel

What are things to look out for?

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
I don't have one but I haven't heard anything outside of the normal for Wranglers. I think the underpinnings and drivetrain are basically identical.

jeepers29

How is the Gladiator holding up and being reliable?

Any known issues with the transmissions?

Any known issues with the engines?

4cy, V6, Diesel

What are things to look out for?
The diesel is having some fuel pump issues as well as a few others. I have a gasser and that setup is the same as the wranglers. It is a well tested setup. The diesel also has a much lower towing capacity.

Reactions: D45

Arktikos

Explorer
Scotty Kilmer is down on them, and new Jeeps in general. He had a video about their manual transmission problems a couple years ago.

From the Jeep Gladiator Forum, there seem to be some electrical issues that occur. There is a 2 battery system tied to the Auto Start/stop that seems to be problematic for some owners. There have been problems with dash electrics also. Rear axle seal failures (common) usually repaired under warranty. While the complainers are always more vocal than the satisfied owners, these issues seem to be common amongst the dissatisfied.

All that being said, contemplating buying a Gladiator in the next year. Just leery of the quality control issues.

Last edited:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I've been following all the Jeep forums for a couple years now...I have a 2006 Rubicon and want to get something newer. Not going to happen...there are so many posts of people with brand spanking new Wranglers with major problems that it scares me. Brand new Jeeps with terrible death wobble, but the main problem is electrical gremlins. Jeeps just plain shutting down while driving. All the new Jeeps have the auto start-stop feature which includes two batteries. One of the batteries is hidden and difficult to get to - yet it goes bad early, and when it does, the Jeep becomes undriveable.

How'd you like to be out in the middle of nowhere, and have this message come up in your dash?
Jeep warning.jpg

Arktikos

Explorer
Scotty hates anything that's not a Toyota. Honestly, I don't get why people like him. He's a master troll and his videos should be viewed only as entertainment.

Could be, I don't know. One of the questions OP asked about was transmission problems. Kilmer identified one problem with the manual transmission that's had a recall as a result.
Another recall has occurred with the automatic transmission.
Not a lot of vehicles have had these problems, apparently, but they are known to exist

DRAX

Could be, I don't know. One of the questions OP asked about was transmission problems. Kilmer identified one problem with the manual transmission that's had a recall as a result.
Another recall has occurred with the automatic transmission.
Not a lot of vehicles have had these problems, apparently, but they are known to exist

There was a concern with the clutch pressure plate with the manual trans and the fix was software of all things, this isn't a problem with the transmission itself. There was a potential issue with the 8HP75 behind the EcoDiesel that affected like 11 vehicles and was related to the parking pawl engagement. I don't know how Scotty talked about these issues, but I can only imagine he was his typical hyperbolic, condescending self. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles