Glacier Hiking and Four Wheel Driving

Hiked my first real glacier here in Alaska. Had the whole Gulkana Glacier to myself which was really amazing. After the hike I drove a bit north and found a backway to about the same icefield and was able to get my Tundra up to 5000ft . The trail was incredible and a little challenging at times. It was unbelievable to be offroading on glacial moraines. I wrote a full blog post here on my website if you'd like to see more photos and read a bit more about the trip.

8ab8f9_4d47a2f4f48a4b3fb4d8b511b9e416c4~mv2.jpg

8ab8f9_181d14626b9542c2a9e09aa55458d7fb~mv2.jpg

8ab8f9_390a83554cc840ff8d2c61f0e10524ea~mv2.jpg

8ab8f9_e659f984f00940a29805b0a885add866~mv2.jpg

8ab8f9_c221d9f7710c4ef0a99a10d80888d87b~mv2.jpg

billiebob

absolutely beautiful, any pictures from 50, 100 years ago when all that was covered in glacier?
the last photo says it all, 100? years ago the tongue of the glacier was at the bottom of the valley.

all alone, makes one feel incredibly tiny.

beautiful pictures !!
quite the rack too.
very cool Tundra.

Last edited:

greg.potter

Adventurer
Looks like a grand adventure!! One of my favourite things - remote trails getting you up high in the mountains with spectacular hiking and climbing opportunities. There are lots of places throughout the mountain ranges of western Canada that provide similar opportunities. Great fun!!

And great photos!!

absolutely beautiful, any pictures from 50, 100 years ago when all that was covered in glacier?
the last photo says it all, 100? years ago the tongue of the glacier was at the bottom of the valley.

all alone, makes one feel incredibly tiny.

beautiful pictures !!
quite the rack too.
very cool Tundra.
Yes in fact after your comment I found this photo below. Amazing how fast the glaciers are receding.
Gulkana50yr.jpg

I used to have a Gen 1 Tundra that looked a lot like yours. One of my best 4x4s. Cant find a photo right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! Yes the Tundra with the 4.7 is quite the reliable platform. I even have way too much weight in the truck and it keeps on going.
thanks for posting!
You bet!
Looks like a grand adventure!! One of my favourite things - remote trails getting you up high in the mountains with spectacular hiking and climbing opportunities. There are lots of places throughout the mountain ranges of western Canada that provide similar opportunities. Great fun!!

And great photos!!
I'm in love with Western Canada. Can't wait for this darn virus to be gone so I can travel though Canada some more!

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Just read your full write up on your blog. What a cool trail and such amazing things to see. As soon as this virus is over I have got to get this bucket list vacation crossed off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier