Give me some feedback please

barnstormer

Wanderer
That's a cool rig. That motor is just getting started. The thing I worry about with buses and such is that even if the mileage is low, they've had a lot of stop and go abuse- but if the 61k miles and 1k hours is correct, it's all highway. Apart from the fact that bus bodies are heavy as hell (all steel), that would make a great base for an expo rig. Heck, you could fly out there, sawzall the whole bus body off at the bed, drive it back to Cali and plop a travel-trailer type camper onto the back and PRESTO, your own super expo rig for not a lot of $$.
DO it!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Looks nice, but there are certainly a few things that need to be checked out. The frame needs to be inspected for rust, the suspension needs a thorough checking, as well as the engine. I recently looked at a 60K 7.3 in a box truck & the coolant reservoir had motor oil in it (oil cooler failure) Sometimes more mileage is good!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I think it all depends: if you are good at posting your build on Expo, then go ahead and make the purchase. Thayt way, I'm ensured of some good reading material this winter.:ylsmoke:

sdski

Observer
The frame needs to be inspected for rust

If he drove this around New England in the winter at all its been exposed to a lot of salt, but if the 61k miles are correct it should still be solid. Definitely have it checked out by a mechanic, but that could be an awesome rig! Totally huge, but if you have the room thats sweet. Get him to drive it to WY and pick it up from there. That way if there are any issues on the way its his problem, then you have a short drive back to cali.

Thanks gents. I haven't heard back from the seller, so I'm not sure at this point. The thought of flying to Jersey and then drink home is a bit daunting with my current schedule as well.

Gvisconty

I wouldn't buy an unseen vehicle at all, especially from the east coast because the probability of serious rust problems is just too high. I've replaced all the floors in my truck because of rust, and the most valuable lesson I learned from that experience was to never do that again.

If you can inspect it *in person* and know what to look for, then go for it. Otherwise I would pass and look for one locally, or at least from California / southwest.

sdski

Observer
So I sent the link to a good friend in WY, he apparently grew up with the owner and knows him well, hes a WY guy living in NJ right now. I would say let him get it to WY (Jackson Hole area) and then go check it out. Worst case scenario you get a weekend in JH, which is never a bad thing! Best case scenario its in great shape and you can drive it back in 1-2 days depending on where in northern cali you are. That is a big vehicle though, it will probably take dedication to get it to where you want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles