Give a Dreamer Advice

trd

Observer
Can’t afford to buy a “dream rig”, but also nothing available off the floor that ticks my boxes either.

If you were in the US, and wanted to build a vintage suv or truck into a daily driveable, off-roadable, overlandish rig... what would be your base?

My dream points are:

- enclosed cab
- bulletproof engine/transmission (manual gearbox)

How realistic is starting with a vintage frame/body and introducing a different engine/transmission?

The rest of my boxes will fit any vehicle platform

damon1272

Observer
Vintage - Toyota FJ or Ford Bronco. Both have solid engines, transmissions, and axles. Personally prefer 80-96 Bronco but the is just me.

trd

Observer
Vintage - Toyota FJ or Ford Bronco. Both have solid engines, transmissions, and axles. Personally prefer 80-96 Bronco but the is just me.
Yeah I've been browsing around at FJs, Broncos, and Scouts right now to get some baseline costs for the vehicles in running condition.

Depends on what you consider vintage
True, anything pre 80's for me.

mccustomize

Explorer
Suburban

8.1/NV4500/205 reliable and that torque will chug around in even too high of a gear.

Tons of room to build from, ORD has leaf springs flat figured out already for these square body trucks, but I would link it with the kit they offer.
Resto parts are cheap, they are also in junkyard everywhere, and the single headlight pre-80 stuff has that classic look.

haven

Expedition Leader
I corresponded with a guy who bought a 1970-ish Chevy C/K pickup cab and frame at a junkyard. He bought a new frame, installed a Cummins 12 valve Diesel engine, 5 speed manual trans, Atlas transfer case, Dana 60 axles, custom suspension, flatbed and customer camper box. Still could register it as a '70 Chevy.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If money were no object I'd choose a 3/4 ton 3 door Suburban (67-72) and put in a modern drivetrain with a 5 speed manual transmission. Even better would be a pop-top ambulance version, more room to make it into a camper.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Can't afford to buy a “dream rig”, but also nothing available off the floor that ticks my boxes either.

If you were in the US, and wanted to build a vintage suv or truck into a daily driveable, off-roadable, overlandish rig... what would be your base?

My dream points are:

- enclosed cab
- bulletproof engine/transmission (manual gearbox)

How realistic is starting with a vintage frame/body and introducing a different engine/transmission?

The rest of my boxes will fit any vehicle platform

How would you be using your "Dream Rig"?
How many people/animals would be joining you on your trips?
Are you the type who likes to drive down the freeway with the windows down / top off?
Or do you prefer to be inside a quiet air conditioned well appointed cock pit?

Over the years I've had the good fortune of doing custom builds, and being part of other custom builds.
The single biggest lesson I've learned is, the best "bang for the buck", is to be the second owner of a professional build.
So, when you decide on the vehicle of your dreams, keep your eyes open for a gently used build from one of the well reknowned builders.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Speaking of "dreaming" of a rig but being constrained by budget, but then pivoting to vintage hardware with drivetrain swaps suggests you're more interested in building the rig than using it. No judgement, that's 100% fine, especially from me since I definitely derive a lot of my recreation from working on my stuff.

That said, if your goal is to get "out there" while under a budget, forget vintage and forget fancy swaps. Buy something somewhere between "used" and "old", do some basic preventative maintenance, then run it. Just did a quick scan of my local craigslist, found a late-'90's pop-up truck camper for $4500 and several 4x4 trucks of similar vintage for between $5k and $10k. In other words, you could be out using the rig by this time next week (or maybe the weekend after to allow time for maintenance) for under $15k. I guarantee that any quality build involving a "vintage" body and a fancy running gear swap is going to come to at least that much, just to get you rolling.

Like I said, no judgement about how you spend your money and where you park your dreams, but be honest with yourself about what you're really dreaming about doing vs. what the real budget limitations are.

trd

Observer
How would you be using your "Dream Rig"?
How many people/animals would be joining you on your trips?
Are you the type who likes to drive down the freeway with the windows down / top off?
Or do you prefer to be inside a quiet air conditioned well appointed cock pit?

Over the years I've had the good fortune of doing custom builds, and being part of other custom builds.
The single biggest lesson I've learned is, the best "bang for the buck", is to be the second owner of a professional build.
So, when you decide on the vehicle of your dreams, keep your eyes open for a gently used build from one of the well reknowned builders.

Great advice, thanks.

I would like to have something that I can take weekend camping trips in, but also drive on the freeway to work when I please.
It would need to fit myself, my wife, and our daughter for sure. Bonus for the dog, but the wife hates the dog.
I like to drive down the freeway, I don't care how. I have a motorcycle, so i don't necessarily need a convertible.

Ashton

Full size rigs aren't usually considered for good times. My 1994 dodge 2500 4x4 with the dana 40 front axle and the 9.25 Chrysler rear end is pretty capable and gets me to all places that aren't extremely tight. The engine is the 316 magnum, a solid and dependable and easy to work on engine. The transmission in automatic form is known to suck ***. The manual is considered much better. The axles have lots of aftermarket support and Moog makes all the suspension and steering parts you can think of. You won't be pulling any trains or climbing to many tight switchbacks, but it is a fully capable and fully adaptable and buildable platform for around $3k.

Look for leaking transmission and transfercases, these could indicate the gaskets are leaking or could indicate need for a rebuild. Look for seeping at the axle shafts that might indicate seal compromise, they are cheap to buy but hard to fix. The rubber is cheap to fix (poly bushing kits can be had from $100), bilstein 5100's are about $75 each online and moog suspension parts are reasonable. Wheels are 16in and can accommodate up to a 33in tire without modifications (rides 39in up front (ground to wheel well) and 41.5 in the rear) and you can get Hummer H1 wheels which let you run a 35, with only a little modification (H1 wheels will run about 500-1000 for a pair of stockers, tires about 150-250 each).

My 8ft bed does limit the places I can travel (128in wheel base means no goat paths or wash travels), but also expands the comfort I can put back there for 'glamping'. We have a comfy bed platform, room for the dog and plenty of space for kit. There's space between the frame rails and on the side panels for storage/water tanks/gas tanks and lots of aftermarket support. The 1994 was the first year of the 2nd gen, which took advantage of some good upgrades and kept a lot of good stuff from the 1st gen Dodge 100 and 200's (I think that's what they were designated).

Overall, the 2nd gen Dodge 2500's are a capable and fun rig platform. Won't win any MPG awards, but you will enjoy every wasted drop.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
When you really want "tough & classy"

Something with 4 doors, a boxed frame, and a solid LS swap would be my choice.
Since wind noise isn't an issue, a Classic I.H. Travelall would make for a **************' Ride. :)

I'm a fan of the round body, but even the square body would be cool to own.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Travelall&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivwNfzw8PWAhXpsVQKHV9lDrsQsAQIJw&biw=1312&bih=781

Another really awesome rig, that is gaining traction in the collector community is the Travelete:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1312&bih=781&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=travelette&oq=Travelette&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l3j0i5i30k1.100017.102740.0.104354.9.8.1.0.0.0.214.1049.2-5.5.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..3.6.1126...0i24k1.0.YHeKepkFW9M

Good luck whichever way you go! :beer:

trd

Observer
Something with 4 doors, a boxed frame, and a solid LS swap would be my choice.
Since wind noise isn't an issue, a Classic I.H. Travelall would make for a **************' Ride. :)

I'm a fan of the round body, but even the square body would be cool to own.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Travelall&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivwNfzw8PWAhXpsVQKHV9lDrsQsAQIJw&biw=1312&bih=781

Another really awesome rig, that is gaining traction in the collector community is the Travelete:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1312&bih=781&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=travelette&oq=Travelette&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l3j0i5i30k1.100017.102740.0.104354.9.8.1.0.0.0.214.1049.2-5.5.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..3.6.1126...0i24k1.0.YHeKepkFW9M

Good luck whichever way you go! :beer:

Thanks!

yeah I've been looking at the IHs, but I've never heard of them until recently when I saw one on instagram. What's a general perception of them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles